Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
theguru
theguru doesn't littertheguru doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
One question: any plans on evolving into a gui with options to choose from?
It shouldn't take too long to wrap this in gui. I will look into it after I complete the output to image option.
theguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #17
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Thanks!

Great program!

Last edited by DDHarriman; 12-03-2008 at 07:32 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #18
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If it's working great,maybe you can contact the guys at calibre, and integrate it in their software.
Calibre has already got the option of converting some documents, if yours works better (faster, more accurate,etc) then maybe a joint venture might be a good idea?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:41 PM   #19
theguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
If it's working great,maybe you can contact the guys at calibre, and integrate it in their software.
Calibre has already got the option of converting some documents, if yours works better (faster, more accurate,etc) then maybe a joint venture might be a good idea?
I have published the source. They can integrate it w/o my permission if they wish to do so.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 AM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
two point

1) This thread is better suited at the "Format Conversions" section since this is not SONY only. This tool can be used by any eBook Reader that supports PDF.

2) Can this tool implement a feature that splits 2 page PDF to a single page?

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 11-25-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelled name wrong
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #21
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
When I run sopdf, all I get is a quit flash of an apparent DOS window and nothing else. Using Vista 64. Any suggestions?

OK, worked it out. Opened a CMD window first and then ran the program.

Last edited by daesdaemar; 12-01-2008 at 08:57 PM.
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #22
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Can someone please explain the usage of soPdf (I'm a newbie). Why would I want to take a PDF file and convert to another PDF file? Ultimately, for my Sony 505, my preference would be an LRF file, but I agree that pdflrf certainly has limitations especially in terms of its massive file size outputs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #23
theguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Can someone please explain the usage of soPdf (I'm a newbie). Why would I want to take a PDF file and convert to another PDF file? Ultimately, for my Sony 505, my preference would be an LRF file, but I agree that pdflrf certainly has limitations especially in terms of its massive file size outputs.

Thanks in advance.
Because when you convert to another pdf file it becomes easier to read on your Sony 505.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguru View Post
Because when you convert to another pdf file it becomes easier to read on your Sony 505.
I hope there's more to the explanation than that. I like to understand things. Why is it easier to read?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can someone please explain the usage of soPdf (I'm a newbie). Why would I want to take a PDF file and convert to another PDF file? Ultimately, for my Sony 505, my preference would be an LRF file, but
Quote:
I hope there's more to the explanation than that. I like to understand things. Why is it easier to read?

There is another limit to PDFLRF. Because the text is now turned into an image the view will be the same for S/M/L. And while PDFLRF does a good job smoothing fonts there are still times when fonts pixelization are still displayed.

With soPDF the text and layout is preserved. The only thing that is modified(removed really) is the borders, PDFLRF also removes the margin. So now instead of trying to view a PDF (typically 8.5x11") down to a 6" screen you are trying to view (7.5x10") (margin are usually 1") which makes it much easier to view the text. Because the PDF is still text base text reflow still works and the font size can be increase if need be.

With soPDF and PDFCroper I find I rarely if ever use PDFLRF.

Hope this helps,
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-03-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #26
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

There is another limit to PDFLRF. Because the text is now turned into an image the view will be the same for S/M/L. And while PDFLRF does a good job smoothing fonts there are still times when fonts pixelization are still displayed.

With soPDF the text and layout is preserved. The only thing that is modified(removed really) is the borders, PDFLRF also removes the margin. So now instread of trying to view a PDF (typically 8.5x11") down to a 6" screen you are trying to view (7.5x10") (margin are usally 1") which makes it much easier to view the text. Because the PDF is still text base text reflow still works and the font size can be increase if need be.

With soPDF and PDFCroper I find I rarely if ever use PDFLRF.

Hope this helps,
=X=
Thank you very much... ;-)
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #27
Boyodublin
Enthusiast
Boyodublin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Error Launching the Program

Does this program only work in Windows xp?

When I try to launch from Vista, I get an error that says "this application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

Thanks!
Boyodublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
valiant
valiant began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Great program. It would be close to perfect if it maintained chapter marks (bookmarks/contents page). It's not especially important for reading some stuff but a real pain if you're dipping in and out of reference material.
valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #29
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
When I ran "Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist.pdf" through all the program did was it tiled the book 90 degrees.

I prefer the original on the Sony PRS. Clicking on the 'zoom' will show the book in text format like a normal LRF,which is more readable than the output version of this program.

I find the program has a too small border on the left, almost making it appear as if there is no border.

What does this program do to 'png' books (text scanned to png, but not ran through an ocr)?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #30
=X=
Wizard

Is there any way this tool could add the feature to split PDF pages that have 2 pages one page. There is a similar algorithm right now that does this but I'm looking for a feature to specifically convert a 2pg pdf to 1pg.

=X=