Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
how to apply free?
If you are not living in Pennsylvania. you can buy land there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are not living in Pennsylvania. you can buy land there.
Ouch.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
i only see the free... maybe they should change name
I suspect the name comes from an era when the majority of libraries were circulation/subscription libraries. Public libraries, by contrast, did not have paid membership with annual/quarterly dues -- they were free libraries. Perhaps the founders of the FLP back in the 1890s did not take into consideration the Internet. Shortsighted of them!

Since I don't pay any taxes in Philadelphia, $50 per year for the number of ebooks available is a bargain which I consider as a donation to the library. Their ebook collection is not quite up to the number available from the $9.99 per month Kindle Unlimited but a good chunk are from traditional publishers who seem to regard KU as being one step below cannibalism.

"Madam, a circulating library in town is as an evergreen tree of diabolical knowledge! It blossoms through the year! And depend on it … they who are so fond of handing the leaves, will long for the fruit at last." Richard Brinsley Sheridan, The Rivals

Last edited by DNSB; 03-16-2018 at 01:30 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:36 AM   #19
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect the name comes from an era when the majority of libraries were circulation/subscription libraries. Public libraries, by contrast, did not have paid membership with annual/quarterly dues -- they were free libraries. Perhaps the founders of the FLP back in the 1890s did not take into consideration the Internet. Shortsighted of them!

Since I don't pay any taxes in Philadelphia, $50 per year for the number of ebooks available is a bargain which I consider as a donation to the library. Their ebook collection is not quite up to the number available from the $9.99 per month Kindle Unlimited but a good chunk are from traditional publishers who seem to regard KU as being one step below cannibalism.

"Madam, a circulating library in town is as an evergreen tree of diabolical knowledge! It blossoms through the year! And depend on it … they who are so fond of handing the leaves, will long for the fruit at last." Richard Brinsley Sheridan, The Rivals
lucky my local library is also using overdrive and some of the popular books have to put to on hold.

it might have the latest books but good enough for me.

furthermore it is free.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did a lot of wavering before I finally decided to pay to renew my FLP card just the other day. They seem to be acquiring fewer and fewer Overdrive e-books and audiobooks lately.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I did a lot of wavering before I finally decided to pay to renew my FLP card just the other day. They seem to be acquiring fewer and fewer Overdrive e-books and audiobooks lately.
They've been pretty good getting the books I've been requesting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote