Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Editing in TOC pane

I'd like a bit more functionality in the TOC pane.
Currently it acts as a read-only jump list.
Right click on an entry in the TOC and now you get 2 options: Collapse All/Expand All.

Suggest add "Edit" and it opens the TOC editor with the cursor at the same entry. Saving several clicks and selects going via the menu.

Or have this pane toggle to the TOC editor with F2 like the code/book view pane.

More gui: allow editing the text in the pane directly. Preferably enable the case-change buttons to work here.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
I'd like a bit more functionality in the TOC pane.
Currently it acts as a read-only jump list.
Right click on an entry in the TOC and now you get 2 options: Collapse All/Expand All.
You'll need to select the TOC editor via Tools > Table of Contents > Edit Table of Contents.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to Edit ToC, I use Ctrl+Alt+T. I don't have the ToC window displayed unless I want to use it for navigation.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 AM   #4
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You'll need to select the TOC editor via Tools > Table of Contents > Edit Table of Contents.
That's why I said "Saving several clicks and selects going via the menu".

I can use the file pane to do lots of things to files. I can use the code/preview pane to do anything to the code. But the TOC pane is read only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to Edit ToC
Thanks.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-09-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This is not going to change. Think of this toc pane as the Preview window for the toc editor, just like the actual Preview pane is for the CodeView Editor.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Think of this toc pane as the Preview window for the toc editor, just like the actual Preview pane is for the CodeView Editor.
I do. That's why it seems odd that you cannot do anything in it, unlike the code preview pane; or the file pane for that matter.

On a conceptually related matter of panes lacking functionality; it's really annoying that I cannot copy text from the "Message" pane.

When I get a cryptic error message (i.e., every error message the first time you see it) and want to Google to work out what the actual problem is, I have to carefully retype all the text. Or write it to a text file to refer to while I work it out.

What would be very useful (to me at least) is a quick check that told me if I had references to non-existent files, or undefined styles. Currently (the very slow) ePubCheck does the former, but I don't know anything that does the latter.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, ... as I previously explained, the Preview pane is not editable, it only shows what is in the CodeView editor. Similarly, the toc pane is not editable, it only shows what is generated by the EditTOC editor. It was designed that way and it is not changing.

Which message pane are you referring to? Is this message from the validation results window? Or from some other place?

There is a csslint plugin that may do what you want for styles.

And fwiw, I have no plans to duplicate validator functionality inside Sigil. Calibre does that since Kovid does not believe in validators. I do not like validators but they play an important role in the ebook eco-system and can help.

Perhaps calibre's editor would be a better fit for you? Alternatively, perhaps asking in the Sigil Plugin Development Thread here on MR, you might convince someone else to either adapt the calibre's code or write their own validator for you.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Again, ... as I previously explained, the Preview pane is not editable, it only shows what is in the CodeView editor. Similarly, the toc pane is not editable, it only shows what is generated by the EditTOC editor. It was designed that way and it is not changing.
Yes, I know all that. I was suggesting it could be made editable. OK, you don't want to do that. Making a shortcut key for TOC editing (per BetterRed) is almost as good.

Quote:
Which message pane are you referring to? Is this message from the validation results window? Or from some other place?
The one normally appearing at the bottom, where both F7 and the epubcheck plugin present their messages. I would like text selection and copying there.

Since this is the same (or at least, looks the same) for both the inbuilt F7 and the plugin, I assumed it was a Sigil issue rather than due to the plugin's code. Is that wrong?

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-15-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW: I have no trouble highlighting the Message field for any particular error message in the Validation pane and copying it and pasting it into Safari to do a google search on the message.

I have no idea why you can not do the same. Perhaps you are trying to highlight a small piece of the message and copy just that? Copying the highlighted message is doable, just not selecting substrings inside the message field.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-15-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ctrl C copies the highlighted message on Windows as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
The one normally appearing at the bottom, where both F7 and the epubcheck plugin present their messages. I would like text selection and copying there.
BTW, you can have the epubcheck plugin copy all messages to the Windows system clipboard. To activate this feature locate EpubCheck.json and change the following entry from:

Code:
"clipboard_copy": false
to:
Code:
"clipboard_copy": true
(If this entry is not the last entry, you'll also need to add a semicolon at the end.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:28 AM   #12
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
FWIW: I have no trouble highlighting the Message field for any particular error message in the Validation pane and copying it and pasting it into Safari to do a google search on the message.
Yes, you're right.
I can use ^A and ^C on message text and then paste elsewhere.

However, there is no r-click option to copy. (No r-click option at all.) Also after selecting text the top "Edit" menu option "Copy Ctrl+C" remains greyed out. I tried those and never thought that the keyboard would work regardless.

Another case of finding a feature existed after complaining of its absence.

Last edited by AlanHK; 02-16-2018 at 01:31 AM.