Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #46
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The only reason they stay in such high demand is the misguided belief that the Disney version is any better than a no-name version. A collection such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/10-Movie-Prin.../dp/B00AOCDDGC

works just as well for kids to watch them over and over again.
Have you actually watched some of those cheap ones?

The animation is poorly done.
The dialogue is awful and the voice acting is worse.
They generally don't have songs, which are the kids' favorite parts of the movies.
And parents get nostalgic watching the Disney ones with their kids.

I can tell you from experience that the knockoffs aren't good enough to sustain interest for multiple viewings.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #47
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
If I remember correctly, Disney started the bundles. At the time it made sense - most people didn't own a Blu-ray player yet, so you could buy the bundle and build a little bit of a collection so that when you did upgrade a device you already had some material. Also, homes with multiple players (but only the main TV had a Blu-ray player connected) had copies for the DVD players too.

Personally, I like the bundles as DVDs are simpler to rip for viewing on a mobile device. I like having both the DVD for ripping and the Blu-ray for viewing on the TV.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Not really. That's like saying text-to-speech recordings work just as well as professionally narrated audiobooks. There's no comparison in the quality of the animation, let alone other aspepcts.
That only matters to adults. Small children that are still at an age to watch the same over and over could care less about quality. Sometimes you can get lucky and they decide to watch something half way decent - currently our grandson incists on his daily repeat of the movie Monster Trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was going to see E.T., but I watched Mac and Me instead. They're essentially the same, right?
Different thing. Different story. If you noticed it wasn't random anything movies, but the same ones Disney also made.
Quote:
Man, if you're looking for alternate animated versions of fairy tales, at least find good ones.
They are good ones. Maybe not by your grown up standard, but neither is Barney, Dora, and Teletubbies.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #49
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Have you actually watched some of those cheap ones?
Yes, of course. More than I care to remember.

Quote:
The animation is poorly done.
The dialogue is awful and the voice acting is worse.
They generally don't have songs, which are the kids' favorite parts of the movies.
And parents get nostalgic watching the Disney ones with their kids.
It is not necessary to sit down and watch the movie with them - while they are busy watching, perfect time to get work done in the house.
Quote:
I can tell you from experience that the knockoffs aren't good enough to sustain interest for multiple viewings.
And I can tell you from my experience that they are. (At least the knockoffs that I have). Not all of the ones in a set used to get watched - leaving the choice to the little ones, and they usually picked something they already seen than try something new.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #50
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Different thing. Different story. If you noticed it wasn't random anything movies, but the same ones Disney also made.
Mac and Me and E.T. likely have more in common than Disney's Aladdin and Dingo Pictures Aladdin.

Tod Browning's Dracula and Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula are worlds different. If one person watched one of those movies and another person watched the other, they would have a very difficult time comparing notes.

Sharing the same title doesn't mean the two movies will be anything alike. I don't even know why I'm arguing this. I think you know this and are just having fun.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #51
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Sharing the same title doesn't mean the two movies will be anything alike. I don't even know why I'm arguing this. I think you know this and are just having fun.
Fairy tales are fairy tales. Each is aimed to teach certain morals. If a certain movie fails to communicate the basic idea and story of the fairy tale, then it shouldn't have that name. It is not necessary to watch a Disney adaption to be entertaining for the target audience was all I was saying.

Fortunately Disney does not own any copyrights on the (classic) fairy tales themselves.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #52
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Fairy tales are fairy tales. Each is aimed to teach certain morals. If a certain movie fails to communicate the basic idea and story of the fairy tale, then it shouldn't have that name.
Disney's among the worst “offenders“ here; they completely altered the stories and meanings of the Little Mermaid, Cinderella, and the Snow Queen (though at least they had the good grace to rename the latter Frozen).

But that also means that going back to the original isn't going to be very close to the Disneyfied versions in most cases; people want to watch Ariel live happily ever after, not commit suicide, or hear the Let it Go song and see sisters supporting each other rather than the (unrelated) friendship of the original and hearts turning to ice.

Personally I prefer the original stories most of the time, but they're not really interchangeable given the level of alteration Disney generally layers into their adaptations.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
Disney's among the worst “offenders“ here; they completely altered the stories and meanings of the Little Mermaid, Cinderella, and the Snow Queen (though at least they had the good grace to rename the latter Frozen).

But that also means that going back to the original isn't going to be very close to the Disneyfied versions in most cases; people want to watch Ariel live happily ever after, not commit suicide, or hear the Let it Go song and see sisters supporting each other rather than the (unrelated) friendship of the original and hearts turning to ice.

Personally I prefer the original stories most of the time, but they're not really interchangeable given the level of alteration Disney generally layers into their adaptations.
That I agree with. Disney's adaptations aren't good adaptations of the original. But to say that they are of the same quality level of the low-budget schlock Duckie linked to is not true.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Fairy tales are fairy tales. Each is aimed to teach certain morals. If a certain movie fails to communicate the basic idea and story of the fairy tale, then it shouldn't have that name. It is not necessary to watch a Disney adaption to be entertaining for the target audience was all I was saying.
Fairy tales are fairy tales, but the movie making abilities of two different animation studios adapting the same fairy tale don't lead to identical results.

I like the Italian animated take of Pinocchio as much as the Disney version. But that doesn't mean that any bottom-of-the-barrel adaptation churned out by a studio trying to cash in is of equal quality to one of the top animation studios in the world.

Quote:
Fortunately Disney does not own any copyrights on the (classic) fairy tales themselves.
And since Disney doesn't own copyrights on those fairy tale, any fly-by-night studio and come along and churn out their own take and call it The Little Mermaid or what-have-you, even if it doesn't live up to the standards you set above. It is up to you to learn that not all animated versions of a fairy tale are of equal quality.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And since Disney doesn't own copyrights on those fairy tale, any fly-by-night studio and come along and churn out their own take and call it The Little Mermaid or what-have-you, even if it doesn't live up to the standards you set above.
A more general point is that titles are not protected by copyright, regardless of the copyright status of the work that the title applies to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote