Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2022, 02:08 PM   #91
fivefilters
fivefilters began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
EDIT: Amazon support is worthless. They're demanding I factory reset my Kindle Oasis to troubleshoot the problem with their cloud service. I don't have time for this.
I'm sorry to hear that. Also had a very frustrating experience trying to communicate this to them. Even asked them to escalate this to the right team at the end, but got nowhere.
fivefilters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:44 PM   #92
darrenma
darrenma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Calibre 6.6.1 is still emailing files with jibberish subject. This is not fixed in Calibre.
The calibre 6.6.1 only changed the attachment name to "title" - "author" , but remained the email subject as a random string. I have rolled back to 6.4 in which the email subject designed as News: "title",This is more to my taste.
darrenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #93
dendron
dendron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefilters View Post
This wasn't a problem two weeks ago.
Up until September 22 everything worked well for me, the problem appeared first with books I sent on September 23.

Quote:
Also had a very frustrating experience trying to communicate this to them. Even asked them to escalate this to the right team at the end, but got nowhere.
I got someone who was at least willing to look into it. I have a ticket ID now and he said he would escalate the issue "so that required and needful action can be taken"... Let's see whether that leads anywhere.

Quote:
Calibre 6.6.1 is still emailing files with jibberish subject. This is not fixed in Calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenma View Post
The calibre 6.6.1 only changed the attachment name to "title" - "author" , but remained the email subject as a random string.
Calibre 6.6 works for me with MOBI files (did not try EPUB because they have no cover anyway). The file name (ascii-ized by Calibre) appears as the book title. The email subject seems to have no effect on this whatsoever.

Quote:
I find it difficult to believe this is intentional on Amazon's side. They offer a Send to Kindle email service where they officially accept EPUBs.
My guess is that this was not a deliberate move by Amazon, but rather somehow connected to the rollout of firmware version 5.15.1 which fixes the EPUB cover issue. After all, this is first and foremost a server-side conversion issue. Crashing MOBI delivery before (extended) EOL is not the best way forward, though

Last edited by dendron; 09-30-2022 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
dendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #94
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
My Calibre is still on 6.6 and I haven't gotten a pop up for 6.6.1 yet.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #95
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
My Calibre is still on 6.6 and I haven't gotten a pop up for 6.6.1 yet.
If you are already on release x.y then calibre will not notify you of a subsequent x.y.z release. You need to go get it yourself.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #96
FacetiousKnave
Unconscionable
FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.FacetiousKnave can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
It is happening again with the latest software update: Version 5.15.1 – September 2022
FacetiousKnave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #97
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a workflow that works for me. Makes sending epubs infinitely easier.

Save to Disk template:
Code:
{series} {series_index:0>5.2f} {title} - {authors}
BAT file:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
PUSHD .
FOR /R %%d IN (.) DO (
cd "%%d"
IF EXIST *.epub (
REN *.epub *.txt
)
)
POPD
Use Save to Disk option to put the books in a single folder.
Put the .bat file inside the same folder.
The .bat file will automatically change all .epubs inside the folder to .txt so you can send it using the Send to Kindle app.
The template includes the author because the app doesn't automatically populate the author field. Just cut & paste.

This cuts through so many steps that I'm really considering this over sideloading.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share in case somebody else plan to send bulk books to their Kindles.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #98
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I found a workflow that works for me. Makes sending epubs infinitely easier.

Save to Disk template:
Code:
{series} {series_index:0>5.2f} {title} - {authors}
BAT file:
Code:
@ECHO OFF
PUSHD .
FOR /R %%d IN (.) DO (
cd "%%d"
IF EXIST *.epub (
REN *.epub *.txt
)
)
POPD
Use Save to Disk option to put the books in a single folder.
Put the .bat file inside the same folder.
The .bat file will automatically change all .epubs inside the folder to .txt so you can send it using the Send to Kindle app.
The template includes the author because the app doesn't automatically populate the author field. Just cut & paste.

This cuts through so many steps that I'm really considering this over sideloading.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share in case somebody else plan to send bulk books to their Kindles.
OK, so the bat changes the file extension to .txt of all the files in the folder - I can see where that's handy. But then you have to right click and Send to Kindle individually, correct? Because you have to enter the Title and Author fields before you send?

But thanks for this - taking an ePub, changing file extension to .txt, right click and Send to Kindle, correcting title and author in the app before sending - I get everything I want: correct title & author, bolding (advanced text features) works, the cover shows up (I'm on a newer Paperwhite), and it syncs across devices. Thanks!
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #99
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Dang it, I thought changing to .txt worked great, but all the apostrophes in the book show up as funky symbols! Ideas?

Edited to add: OK, in Calibre, I converted from ePub to ePub, didn't change any of the settings, and in the NEW ePub, changing to .txt and Send to Kindle worked fine. Bummer that I've got this extra step now - converting to ePub in Calibre even if what I receive is already ePub.

Last edited by vermontcathy; 10-04-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #100
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You need to re-convert the EPUB using UTF-8.

Convert -> Look and feel -> Text -> Input character encoding: utf-8
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:47 PM   #101
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
OK, so the bat changes the file extension to .txt of all the files in the folder - I can see where that's handy. But then you have to right click and Send to Kindle individually, correct? Because you have to enter the Title and Author fields before you send?

But thanks for this - taking an ePub, changing file extension to .txt, right click and Send to Kindle, correcting title and author in the app before sending - I get everything I want: correct title & author, bolding (advanced text features) works, the cover shows up (I'm on a newer Paperwhite), and it syncs across devices. Thanks!
if you use the Send to Kindle for computers, you can drag multiple files at once. As long as they are from the same author, you can do batch sends.

Quote:
Dang it, I thought changing to .txt worked great, but all the apostrophes in the book show up as funky symbols! Ideas?
You can re-convert the epub in calibre or use the Modify ePub plugin to encode the book in UTF-8. If there's no utf-8 indication inside the book, Amazon will convert punctation marks into symbols.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:44 AM   #102
vermontcathy
Connoisseur

Well shucks, I thought this method (ePub formatted correctly, change file extension to .txt, use Send to Kindle for PC to send it) was working great. But the covers ONLY show up on my newer Paperwhite. They don't show up on my household's Kindle 10th gen, original Oasis, or Voyage. I'm giving up trying for now.

Also Send to Kindle for PC isn't working on my Widows 11 computer (it was working on my Windows 10 computer at work) - it tells me to log in, I know I'm doing it right because I can log in to amazon.com, and it says in red "Enter a valid email address or mobile number". I simply can't log in.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #103
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Well shucks, I thought this method (ePub formatted correctly, change file extension to .txt, use Send to Kindle for PC to send it) was working great. But the covers ONLY show up on my newer Paperwhite. They don't show up on my household's Kindle 10th gen, original Oasis, or Voyage. I'm giving up trying for now.
The cover thumbnail feature for personal docs only works in the latest 5.15.1 firmware. It will not work on Kindles that have not been updated or on older models that cannot like the Voyage.

Quote:
Also Send to Kindle for PC isn't working on my Widows 11 computer (it was working on my Windows 10 computer at work) - it tells me to log in, I know I'm doing it right because I can log in to amazon.com, and it says in red "Enter a valid email address or mobile number". I simply can't log in.
Amazon is behind schedule in updating that app. I wonder if they plan to fold it into a new version of Kindle for PC instead of it being a stand alone app. That is how send-to-kindle works on the mobile platforms.

I have also seen references to this feature coming to a web page that allows uploading personal documents. That makes more sense to me than an app.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-05-2022 at 09:23 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:21 AM   #104
vermontcathy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The cover thumbnail feature for personal docs only works in the latest 5.15.1 firmware. It will not work on Kindles that have not been updated or on older models that cannot like the Voyage.
Thanks! Turns out, the Oasis and Kindle 10th Gen. CAN be updated to 5.15.1, but they hadn't. They had updated recently, after I hadn't used them for a while, pulled them out, charged them, and connected to wi-fi. But they didn't update to 5.15.1. I've updated them manually, and the covers work! So, ePub (reconverted to ePub in Calibre), change file extension to .txt, use Send to Kindle app so you can set the title & author correctly, and covers, bolding, everything works great.

My kindle Voyage, on the other hand, can't update to 5.15.1. I might sell it... I have too many kindles anyway.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:36 AM   #105
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Not impossible, just a bit more difficult. You need to use a send-to-kindle app instead of email and enter the title and author manually.
Hi, I installed Send to Kindle app (ver. 1.1.1.253) on my Windows 10 but if I try
to send to my kindle an epub file (converted from MOBI with Calibre) it returns this message: "The file type is not supported" (see attached image)

If I send an epub by e-mail it simple disappears!. I haven't it on my kindle (PW5 with 5.15.1 fw) and I haven't any return email with error message..

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote