Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
bebook and sony 600 and epub files

Hi all,

I have a bebook1 . I updated the firmware and bought my first epub book (with drm). I really hate the way it's displayed on the bebook (zoom1 to small, zoom 2 much to big). As I don't have a pda(or other similar device), i'm not able to dedrm my books and that means i'm not able to convert drm epub to another format that is better to read.
I was thinking that I have my birthday next month and maybe it would be a good idea to ask for a sony reader. But is the layout and zooming on the sony reader okay? It would be a shame if I got a 2nd reader and I still couldn't read my epub books the way I like .
So can anyone tell me how the layout and zooming of epubs on the sony is? Maybe there is even someone out there that can compare it with the mobibook format on the bebook.

Sandra
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The ePub support on the Sony is OK, but not wonderful. You get 5 zoom levels, but what it lacks is full justification.

If ePub support is important to you, I'd suggest looking at the CyBook Opus. It has the best ePub rendering of any device on the market currently, and 12 zoom levels.

The Sony is an excellent device for all sorts of reasons - eg the dictionary and screen annotation both work very well indeed. But ePub support isn't one of its strenghts. It's "OK", but no more than that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The ePub support on the Sony is OK, but not wonderful. You get 5 zoom levels, but what it lacks is full justification.

If ePub support is important to you, I'd suggest looking at the CyBook Opus. It has the best ePub rendering of any device on the market currently, and 12 zoom levels.

The Sony is an excellent device for all sorts of reasons - eg the dictionary and screen annotation both work very well indeed. But ePub support isn't one of its strenghts. It's "OK", but no more than that.
So, if I put full-justification in my CSS, the Sony reader still won't display it correctly? Or do you mean it's not on by default?

The BeBook Mini also has 5 zoom levels, but I agree with acolsandra, the steps are too big. I'd love a zoom level between the smallest and one larger.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolsandra View Post
I updated the firmware and bought my first epub book (with drm). I really hate the way it's displayed on the bebook (zoom1 to small, zoom 2 much to big).
Try the Astak 6" EZ Reader firmware. This includes a major improvement over the original set of font sizes. Since there are still complaints about the new font sizes, I can't tell if the BeBook has the new sizes or not.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, if I put full-justification in my CSS, the Sony reader still won't display it correctly? Or do you mean it's not on by default?
The Sony currently displays all ePub books left-justified, regardless of what the book's CSS says it ought to be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
The firmware from aztak works like a charm. Thanks for the tip.
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote