Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
b3ta
Enthusiast
b3ta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Mini replacement

Not been here for a while... Don't suppose there's been a 'smallish' ereader produced in the last couple of years? Something similar to my Kobo Mini (or rather, at least a bit smaller than my Kobo Glo). Something jacket-pocketable...
b3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ta View Post
Not been here for a while... Don't suppose there's been a 'smallish' ereader produced in the last couple of years? Something similar to my Kobo Mini (or rather, at least a bit smaller than my Kobo Glo). Something jacket-pocketable...
The Kobo Clara HD is a "bit" smaller than the Kobo Glo and about 20 grams lighter.

Kobo Glo 185 grams 114x157x10 mm
Kobo Clara 166 grams 110x159x8.5 mm

Not much difference, but with the Kobo Clara vertical "flip-over" case it fits in most of my front shirt pockets.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
b3ta
Enthusiast

Thanks rcentros. Looks like the Clara HD is even smaller (a little!)...

111 x 157 x 8.3 mm (same weight).

By the way, is that case like an... iPad case (say) - it sits flush around the edges?

Last edited by b3ta; 12-13-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks rcentros. Looks like the Clara HD is even smaller (a little!)...

111 x 157 x 8.3 mm (same weight).

By the way, is that case like an... iPad case (say) - it sits flush around the edges?
The Clara and Clara HD are the same device. It looks like some folks just measured it slightly differently. As a matter of fact I think I'm getting two different measurements on Kobo's site.

110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm is in their description, but I think I got the other measurement from their site somewhere else.

At any rate, the Kobo Clara HD is currently on sale for $90, normally $120.

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd

Also $90 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Clara-HD...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

So far Walmart hasn't put it on sale (I don't think they have any in stock, just other sellers).

Last edited by rcentros; 12-13-2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: inserted "of fact" which was left out originally
Old 12-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Clara and Clara HD are the same device. It looks like some folks just measured it slightly differently. As a matter I think I'm getting two different measurements on Kobo's site.

110 x 159.6 x 8.35 mm is in their description, but I think I got the other measurement from their site somewhere else.

At any rate, the Kobo Clara HD is currently on sale for $90, normally $120.

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd

Also $90 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Clara-HD...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

So far Walmart hasn't put it on sale (I don't think they have any in stock, just other sellers).
Ah, ok - thanks.

£150+ on Amazon.co.uk!! Good grief! A couple on eBay new/refurb about £50 though...
Advert
Old 12-13-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Ah, ok - thanks.

£150+ on Amazon.co.uk!! Good grief! A couple on eBay new/refurb about £50 though...
Arrggghh, I'm sorry.

It looks like Blue Proton will sell a brand new one (via eBay) from the U.S for £68 (shipping free? — You would have to check from your side to confirm that).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184280621...3ABFBM3K7hx7Zf

Last edited by rcentros; 12-13-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Ah, ok - thanks.

If you are in the UK John Lewis have it for £89.99. With a two year warranty. Argos is £99.99. The reason Amazon is so high is it’s sold by a third party seller, with very high postage on top!
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If you are in the UK John Lewis have it for £89.99. With a two year warranty. Argos is £99.99. The reason Amazon is so high is it’s sold by a third party seller, with very high postage on top!
Ah! So they do... Thanks.

I guess my search for something smaller is fruitless?
Old 12-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Use a phone these days.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

5" Readers are as dead as 3D TVs.

Your best bet is the Clara HD as was previously said.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:31 PM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
There's the Xiaomi InkPalm 5 mini that has a long thread in the News section. But reading through that thread, it feels more like a project than an actual reader.

ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:05 AM   #12
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I mostly read on my Hisense A5 Pro. The non-pro version would also make for a great reader (and it has a wonderful Hifi chip for fantastic music quality). The only downside would be its price, of course.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I have a Mini as well and have been searching for suitable replacement. 5" readers are dead and likely not coming back so you'll have to settle for a compact 6" device.

The smallest I've found is the Onyx Boox Poke 3 which is 153mm x 107mm to the Mini's 133mm x 102mm. It's also the lightest reader out there at 150g, just 16g heavier than the Mini.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #14
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's the Xiaomi InkPalm 5 mini that has a long thread in the News section. But reading through that thread, it feels more like a project than an actual reader.

I have one of these, and with koreader installed it is excellent! The only thing that could be improved is the battery life, I need to recharge every 2 days (but I do read a lot).
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #15
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I got this in the mail yesterday. It took me less than an hour to get it up and running with everything I needed, changed language to English, installed English launcher, installed english keyboard, installed kindle app, installed moon+reader, that's all I need. It's not difficult at all. So, it's not that much of a project. It's an excellent ereader. Very pleased with it. The screen is incredibly crisp in clarity and very uniform lighting.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote