Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-12-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Toggling the new Dark Mode with latest firmware

Updated 24 January 2022 to reflect the new version of Nickel Menu

With firmware 4.28.18220 and above, the old Invert Screen mode has been replaced with a new Dark Mode; this works on not just the latest Kobo models (Elipsa, Sage, Libra 2, and Nia) but on older models as well (such as the Aura, Clara HD, and Libra H2O).

The old invert mode worked on all screens, and inverted everything including images and book covers; the new one works only in books and articles from Pocket, but does not invert images or menus.

To enable it and be able to toggle it on and off from your device, you should install Nickel Menu.

If you already are using an older version of Nickel Menu, copy your menu file from KOBOeReader/.adds/nm to a safe place on your computer, then completely delete this folder: KOBOeReader/.adds/nm. It will be automatically recreated when your Kobo reboots after you safely eject it.

Now, get version 0.5.4 of Nickel Menu from here (or a later version, when one is released); DO NOT use an older version (that is, do not use any Nickel Menu release with a lower version number than 0.5.4):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=701

Download the KoboRoot.tgz file from the GitHub link and copy that to this folder on your Kobo:

KOBOeReader/.kobo. (You may need to show hidden files to see the folder.)

Now, follow the instructions in the first message here to set up Nickel Menu:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525

Then, add these lines to your Nickel Menu configuration file (I call mine config-nickel-menu):

Code:
menu_item :main   :Dark Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
menu_item :reader :Dark Mode :nickel_setting :toggle :dark_mode
After ejecting your device, you'll have a Dark Mode toggle listed on your Nickel Menu men.

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 07-22-2022 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Updating instructions
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
The toggling of dark mode on and off only works from the home screen, not from within a book.
This is not correct, it works in any menu. It's just silly to put it in the reading menu, since you need to close the book and open it again, and these are unnecessary movements. In any other (for example, library) you can.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Not a fan of the new dark mode. I usually read at night so it's probably more of an issue than for someone that just likes reading this way in the light.

Even though I have the brightness at 2% when I open annotations for example I get a bit blinded, upsets my reading tranquillity......
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Semwize: I've updated the instructions in the first message. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I think I know how I can make this take effect instantly, but I won't be able to test it until later this week.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2021, 01:41 AM   #6
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Not a fan of the new dark mode. I usually read at night so it's probably more of an issue than for someone that just likes reading this way in the light.

Even though I have the brightness at 2% when I open annotations for example I get a bit blinded, upsets my reading tranquillity......
If you really want to return the Invert Screen
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=9
Old 08-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #7
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Combining the new Dark Mode with the old Invert Screen mode:

I got curious as to what would happen if both Invert Screen and Dark Mode are used at the same time. Here's what I found on my Kobo Clara HD. Note: I had to do a soft reset (hold power button for twenty seconds) to get Invert Mode to take effect after setting it to "true" in the file "Kobo eReader.conf" with these lines:

[FeatureSettings]
DarkMode=true
InvertScreen=true

The net effect is that InvertScreen works as before, inverting everything. The DarkModew toggle in Nickel Menu works, too, but does the OPPOSITE of what it says it's doing: when it says the mode is enabled, it's disabled, and vice versa.

You can still toggle Dark Mode, which affects only the actual book but not menus or dictionary screens. So, you get all the benefits EXCEPT that pictures are, as they were always were under Invert Screen, inverted, as are menus, dictionaries, annotation screens, and the opening screen.

Invert Screen ON and Dark Mode Off:

Invert Screen ON and Dark Mode ON:

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 09-27-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:40 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Note: I had to do a soft reset (hold power button for twenty seconds) to get Invert Mode to take effect
To shutdown the devices, you should only need to hold the power button down for a few of seconds. That should start a clean shutdown and display the powered off screen. Depending on the device, you might need to wait a few seconds before you can turn it on again.

The "hold for twenty seconds" is for non-responsive devices to ensure they are powered off. If it is needed, the device probably will not do a clean shutdown and won't change the screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #9
Semwize
Guru

Toggling Invert Screen in NickelMenu works (after the device is rebooted). Although it is not noticeable before the reboot, screen just flashes.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #10
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
If you really want to return the Invert Screen
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...71&postcount=9
Thanks did test it, but too much of a pain.

Might ask in other thread if NM (command line) can change or swap the config file, at a later date. It depends on what I am reading, but really not much of a difference to me for restarting the kobo if I decided to change to dark mode while i am reading a book....

Last edited by Rid; 08-20-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:29 AM   #11
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
Might ask in other thread if NM (command line) can change or swap the config file, at a later date.
To be honest, I didn't really understand what you want after this post, but in NickelMenu you can do something like this:
Code:
menu_item :reader :Invert Screen   :nickel_setting :toggle:invert
    chain_success                  :power          :reboot
Old 08-21-2021, 03:09 AM   #12
Rid
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
To be honest, I didn't really understand what you want after this post, but in NickelMenu you can do something like this:
Code:
menu_item :reader :Invert Screen   :nickel_setting :toggle:invert
    chain_success                  :power          :reboot
I might have been over thinking it (and stuffed up that I forgot to reboot). I believe that might be what I was looking for!
Old 09-16-2021, 10:11 PM   #13
Rid
Groupie

I have noticed you can use Darkmode while reading a book. If you open & close the TOC or Annotations after enabling or disabling Darkmode. It's like it needs a refresh?

It still takes 2 taps but it is HEAPS quicker than closing and opening the book again! A few milliseconds at least
Old 10-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #14
kleber souza
kleber souza began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Combining the new Dark Mode with the old Invert Screen mode:

I got curious as to what would happen if both Invert Screen and Dark Mode are used at the same time. Here's what I found on my Kobo Clara HD. Note: I had to do a soft reset (hold power button for twenty seconds) to get Invert Mode to take effect after setting it to "true" in the file "Kobo eReader.conf" with these lines:

[FeatureSettings]
DarkMode=true
InvertScreen=true

The net effect is that InvertScreen works as before, inverting everything. The DarkModew toggle in Nickel Menu works, too, but does the OPPOSITE of what it says it's doing: when it says the mode is enabled, it's disabled, and vice versa.

You can still toggle Dark Mode, which affects only the actual book but not menus or dictionary screens. So, you get all the benefits EXCEPT that pictures are, as they were always were under Invert Screen, inverted, as are menus, dictionaries, annotation screens, and the opening screen.

Invert Screen ON and Dark Mode Off:

Invert Screen ON and Dark Mode ON:

my screen appear black and the box white, I cannot get it lake you
[IMG]file:///run/media/kleber/KOBOeReader/screen_042.png[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///run/media/kleber/KOBOeReader/screen_043.png[/IMG]

Last edited by kleber souza; 10-01-2021 at 11:36 AM.
kleber souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Though with the brightness correct there is no evidence of any human advantage to "dark mode". In pre-GUI CRT days most screens used dark mode. It was only brought back to save power on OLED as dark mode is less than 1/6th of the power. Fonts are all optimised to alias and hint as black on white. It makes no difference to eInk or LCD power consumption in principle. The backlight (LCD) or frontlight (eink) may be to set higher for dark mode which is the only reason it seems easier on the eyes (having it too high in normal mode).

It's partly fashion and partly some people have got used to it on LCD screens otherwise set too bright.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote