Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Stormvision
Stormvision began at the beginning.

Device: PC, iPad
Exclamation Amazon Metadata source plugin not working

Hi

I just installed Calibre, and I'd like to use it to download the right metadata and covers for my ebooks. Unfortunately, it seems that all "metadata source" plugins aren't working properly

Here some examples. I have a PDF ebook with:

Title: D Artiste
Author: Matte Painting

Of course the data is wrong. The title should be "Matte Painting", with multiple authors, in the D'artiste series.

When I try to download the metadata with various plugins, I have zero results. This is a log extract:

Amazon.com
Found 0 results
Downloading from Amazon.com took 1.11800003052
No matches found with query: u'http://www.amazon.com/s/?sort=relevancerank&field-author=Matte+Painting&field-title=D+Artiste&search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1'

Barnes & Noble
Found 0 results
Downloading from Barnes & Noble took 1.51699995995
Querying: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?stor...Matte+Painting
No matches found with query: u'http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?store=book&keyword=D+Artiste+Matte+Painting'

In the first case, the plugin send to Amazon this query:

field-author=Matte+Painting
field-title=D+Artiste

No surprise if it can't find anything. The plugin imho should be able to try also with a query like:

field-keywords=d+artiste+matte+painting

that would return the right result.

The second case with Barnes & Noble is weird. The query is right as it should be (try it in your browser):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?store=book&keyword=D+Artiste+Matte+Painting

In my browser, this query gives the expected results (3 books, one of them is the book I was searching). But surprisingly, the plugin log states "Found 0 results".

Someone can explain this behavior?

Thanks
Stormvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormvision View Post
field-keywords=d+artiste+matte+painting
Yes and it would return lots of spurious results for other queries. Get your data right first, then try to download further metadata.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormvision View Post
Here some examples. I have a PDF ebook with:

Title: D Artiste
Author: Matte Painting

Of course the data is wrong. The title should be "Matte Painting", with multiple authors, in the D'artiste series.

The second case with Barnes & Noble is weird. The query is right as it should be (try it in your browser):

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?store=book&keyword=D+Artiste+Matte+Painting

In my browser, this query gives the expected results (3 books, one of them is the book I was searching). But surprisingly, the plugin log states "Found 0 results".

Someone can explain this behavior?
Not weird or surprising at all. The plugin log should state "Found 0 results" because not one of the returned authors is "Matte Painting" so there were no legitimate results found. Garbage in equals garbage out.

If you want to discuss the B&N results further you should do it in the [Metadata Source Plugin] Barnes & Noble thread.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-03-2013 at 08:26 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Stormvision
Stormvision began at the beginning.

Device: PC, iPad
I get it, thanks
Stormvision is offline   Reply With Quote