Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #31
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkywinky666 View Post
I don't understand ya math, please explain as it (provided numbers & calculations) may be the solution - the answer how many inches gonna be 1:1 manga page 13x18cm.
As for now, people using 8.0 must face shrinking page issue so detail loss - to avoid that am looking for the device enabling one to read it without this "error" but in og format 13x18 manga page.

i.e. kindle oasis 3 (7inch) screen =10x14cm so how I add it up? Like 0.1inch is 0.254cm then 8.4 or 8.5 would be 1:1 to 13x18cm manga page (while 8.0 for sure lacks a wee bit to hit that)?

Uh
I left out math because you wrote that you are not good with numbers.

Diagonal screen size = sqrt(W*W + H*H)

W = 13cm / 2.54cm/in = 5.118in
H =18cm / 2.54cm/in = 7.087in

screen size needed for 13cm x 18cm is 8.9 inches
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I left out math because you wrote that you are not good with numbers.

Diagonal screen size = sqrt(W*W + H*H)

W = 13cm / 2.54cm/in = 5.118in
H =18cm / 2.54cm/in = 7.087in

screen size needed for 13cm x 18cm is 8.9 inches
Minor nit. The square root of (13*13 + 18*18) (493) is 22.20 cm or 8.74 inches. Even more minor nit, IIRC, Japanese manga page size is 12.8 cm * 18.2 cm which gives us a 22.25 cm diagonal (8.76 inches).

However the eInk ereaders I've used have a 3x4 screen (1.333 aspect ratio) while Japanese manga is 1.422 aspect ratio and American tends to 1.50 aspect ratio. So while we use the full height of the screen, the image will be pillar boxed.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-20-2021 at 05:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #33
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit. The square root of (13*13 + 18*18) (493) is 22.20 cm or 8.74 inches.
Nonetheless, it is significant that calculating the diagonal in cm, then converting to inches is simpler, less prone to error, and reqires fewer operations.

Quote:
Even more minor nit, IIRC, Japanese manga page size is 12.8 cm * 18.2 cm which gives us a 22.25 cm diagonal (8.76 inches).
Given tinkywinky666's belief that screen size even slightly smaller (in presumably either dimension) than the native image size will result in significant quality loss, even this is not minor.

Quote:
However the eInk ereaders I've used have a 3x4 screen (1.333 aspect ratio) while Japanese manga is 1.456 aspect ratio and American tends to 1.50 aspect ratio. So while we use the full height of the screen, the image will be pillar boxed.
I agree that this needs to be taken into account. So maybe even 9 inch isn't large enough. (I'm not going to do the calculations.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree that this needs to be taken into account. So maybe even 9 inch isn't large enough. (I'm not going to do the calculations.)
Converting the 12.8 x 18.2 to a 4:3 ratio would give me a 13.65cm x 18.2cm screen with a diagonal of 22.75cm (8.95 inches).

My daughter reads quite a bit of manga but she trims the margins and most of them fit her 8" screen without shrinkage (at least none that bothers her).
Old 12-14-2023, 04:48 PM   #35
tinkywinky666
tinkywinky666 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Nonetheless, it is significant that calculating the diagonal in cm, then converting to inches is simpler, less prone to error, and reqires fewer operations.

Given tinkywinky666's belief that screen size even slightly smaller (in presumably either dimension) than the native image size will result in significant quality loss, even this is not minor.

Shame, that, you're not going to. Did you manage in the end to determine the correct size also taking my presumptions?
tinkywinky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #36
tinkywinky666
tinkywinky666 began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit. The square root of (13*13 + 18*18) (493) is 22.20 cm or 8.74 inches. Even more minor nit, IIRC, Japanese manga page size is 12.8 cm * 18.2 cm which gives us a 22.25 cm diagonal (8.76 inches).

However the eInk ereaders I've used have a 3x4 screen (1.333 aspect ratio) while Japanese manga is 1.422 aspect ratio and American tends to 1.50 aspect ratio. So while we use the full height of the screen, the image will be pillar boxed.
Thanks for the answer. It can be pillar boxed, as long as it is original in height and width (leaving just some boxes on both sides as I presume?). Then what size would be the correct one to get 1:1 and which models to pursue? I'm talking about Japanese manga (English can be also a nice thing to know).
tinkywinky666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 01:59 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Given that Japanese manga is 12.8cm*18.2cm and eInk screens tend to be 4.3 aspect ratio, a quick calculation says the screen should be 18.2cm * 13.2cm with a diagonal of 22.8cm ( call it 9"). Repeat the caculation for English using 12.7cm x 19.05 gives a 4x3 screen with a diagonal of 23.8cm or 9.4".

Your best choice is likely to be a 10.3" device (Kobo Elipsa or equivalent screen size).

Tags
boox 8 inch, manga, pocketbook inkpad