Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Gardening Tips Needed

Spring is here!

I have decided that this is the year to start a vegetable garden. I am a complete and total beginner at gardening and I am in desperate need of some help.

Can anyone recommend books, websites, resources that might get me started?

Do you have any useful tips? How to get rid of slugs or attract bees? What plants are easy to grow and are good for beginners?

Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Flowers will attract bees.

and the rest, I'd say, just start, remove weeds when needed, add some water when needed and look at it all grow!

One tip if you add things that will stay over the years (like bushes), put anti-rooting membrane underneath it. We have it underneath our strawberries, berries and raspberries. The advantage is not so much you won't have much problems with weeds, but it will also keep the soil moist during dry spells. Water will go down, but not up. And you always have a clean base around your plants (especially handy for strawberries)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
http://http://www.motherearthnews.co..._Merch+3.21.09this is the best all around gardening information I can think of. What this site can't answer for you, it will provide further links that will help.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
A readers digest book on veggie gardening should help Also I dont know how far North you are as it might restrict certain plants
Another idea is to look at gardens near you, might give you an idea of what will grow in your area
lizz

Last edited by justlizz; 03-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
And always remember, your neighbors will forgive you for having a "garden" with knee high weeds in it but will hate you if the grass in your lawn is knee high.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/regional/
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks all.

The mother earth news website is fab -- I live in Scotland in an area with acidic soil (according to my soil tester kit!) so I figure potatoes will do well and the website has some useful information on growing potatoes and about last frost dates.

The membrane sound like a good idea as we are planning to plant strawberries. The last few summers have been very wet here so I'm actually more worried about too much rain especially if we do potatoes.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, the neighbours garden is in a worse state than ours! I have started a few plants indoors as the growing season is quite short.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I have decided that this is the year to start a vegetable garden. I am a complete and total beginner at gardening and I am in desperate need of some help....
Do you have any useful tips?

Yep. 'Don't' - lie down in a darkened room until the urge goes away.

Alternatively the BBC Grow Your Own site may be worth perusing. Good luck!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Curly
I need a holiday!

Great websites -- I've got them bookmarked. Something tells me that sitting with a cup of coffee perusing websites is much easier than having to go out and fork compost into my garden!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
there is no such thing as a weed, just growing things that you did not plant, a rose in a tulip bed would be considered a weed by most people, i go for a natural look and never weed, all i have are two pots on the deck, not much of a garden, not much of a deck
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #11
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
there is no such thing as a weed, just growing things that you did not plant, a rose in a tulip bed would be considered a weed by most people, i go for a natural look and never weed, all i have are two pots on the deck, not much of a garden, not much of a deck
I like your philosophy, UncleDuke. And I'll see your "two pots on the deck" and raise you five pots on a balcony. I usually don't have to worry about weeds, but I've learned not to keep plant that are attractive to nesting wrens, such as large Boston ferns pots. These days I stick with

Curly, don't forget to prepare for the output of your garden. Do you plan to keep your plot small or try to grow enough for canning and freezing? I spent most of my childhood summers (and winters because Dad never did anything small) in the garden or in the kitchen helping blanch, chop, and package veggies. Oh, the hours I spent shelling butterbeans or cutting corn off the cob. It's a good deal of work, but worth it. Fresh, lightly blanched sweet corn....best thing EVER!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
My grandmother told me egg shells were could for getting rid of the snails (or was it moths?)..
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Curly
I need a holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I like your philosophy, UncleDuke. And I'll see your "two pots on the deck" and raise you five pots on a balcony. I usually don't have to worry about weeds, but I've learned not to keep plant that are attractive to nesting wrens, such as large Boston ferns pots. These days I stick with

Curly, don't forget to prepare for the output of your garden. Do you plan to keep your plot small or try to grow enough for canning and freezing? I spent most of my childhood summers (and winters because Dad never did anything small) in the garden or in the kitchen helping blanch, chop, and package veggies. Oh, the hours I spent shelling butterbeans or cutting corn off the cob. It's a good deal of work, but worth it. Fresh, lightly blanched sweet corn....best thing EVER!

Dreamer
Good point! What am I going to with it all?!

I'm just starting with a small plot and putting in a few plants of a variety of different vegetables to see what grows and what doesn't. Hopefully enough will grow for eating right away. If it goes well, will expand next year.

Ah, corn on the cob! I grew up in Illinois and nothing beats fresh corn and tomatoes on a summer's evening. European supermarket corn just isn't the same as good homegrown Illinois corn.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
How did you end up in Scotland?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Good point! What am I going to with it all?!
We canned tomatoes and pickles. The rest of the produce (corn, bell pepper, squash, zucchini, okra, bean and peas, brussel sprouts, turnip, mustard greens, peanuts, pecans, blueberries) was frozen. To me, freezing is easier, especially if you have the space. When you decide on packaging, think about serving sizes (and the size of your cooking pots). We used pint plastic containers for most things. One container usually served 2 people, depending on the contents.

Have you visited the local greenhouse or farmer's market? You can probably get some good hints about the local growing season.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote