Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I've had a bit of trouble!

This afternoon I purchased two ebooks from Mobileread.com
oops --Mobipocket.com

The KJV Bible
and
Who's Who in the Twentieth Century.

I'm not one for reading instructions so I just fumbled my way through the procedure. (Not recommended)

I paid for the books and downloaded them with no problems.

But I couldn't open them to read or transfer them to my iLiad. Who would think that the Bible would be locked up? It's the oldest book ever!
Ok, so the system needs a PID for both the PC and the iLiad and I duly enter the numbers. But find I still cannot access the ebooks!

I connect the iLiad to the PC and the iLiad screen says it's connected but the iLiad icon in the systray tray says it's not connected -- Huh?

I do a reboot of both the PC and the iLiad several times and still no joy.
The iLiad locks up a couple of times and I have to do a reset.

Firewall? perhaps it's my firewall -- I open the settings and change them to allow Mobipocket access to the Internet.

Thereafter, it all starts coming together. Up pops a window from Mobipocket online in which I have to enter my username and password and then I have to activate the two books individually! (On the eighth day the Lord said "you shall activate your mobipocket books.")

I can now access the books on the PC and I'm duly impressed.

Phew!, now to sync with the iLiad -- and the books transfer to the device quite speedily.

So, how do I disconnect the iLiad from the PC safely? The systray icon still says "not connected". I take a deep breath and just pull the travel hub out of the iLiad and all seems well.

Now I just have to find where the books are on the iLiad. I find them at Device Manager/Main Memory/Books. With bated breath I open "Who's Who" to be met with the following message:

"eBook Not Supported.
iRex is working to add dictionary support.
This feature will be available in the next update.
To proceed, click the 'OK' button or press the UP key."

I am going to make a cup of tea, and the cat, usually a friendly fellow is keeping out of my way.

Last edited by Moonraker; 05-06-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
This afternoon I purchased two ebooks from Mobileread.com ...
So that's how this site is funded!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oy.

Have you installed the Mobipocket software on the iLiad already? That took a separate update sometime after Friday.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
This afternoon I purchased two ebooks from Mobileread.com
oops --Mobipocket.com
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Have you installed the Mobipocket software on the iLiad already? That took a separate update sometime after Friday

I connected to IDS on Friday (4th May) and the Mobipocket viewer downloaded to my iLiad.

Because I found my own content .prc books could be read through the viewer I wrongly assumed that all .prc books could be.

Also, I was unaware that the two books I purchased from Mobipocket.com were in a so called dictionary format.

Today, I connected to IDS again but there are no more downloads available.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird. I think you should call Mobipocket tech support to find out if they expected this limitation, or if it's a bug.

Edit: Just saw this post by Matthijs at the iRex forums:

Quote:
Everything categorized 'eBook' should work OK, eDictionaries will mostly not work for now.

The dictionary support is already in beta-stage, so we hope to release it in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by nekokami; 05-07-2007 at 09:18 AM. Reason: iRex info
Old 05-09-2007, 04:54 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
So that's how this site is funded!
... and the rumor mill is churning faster again... *grin*
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Who would think that the Bible would be locked up? It's the oldest book ever!

Oddly enough, I was just reading something about this on another forum recently (Slashdot, believe it or not). According to what they said, the King James Bible is considered to be in the public domain in the US. However, in England it's copyrighted by the monarchy. I'm guessing that since Mobipocket is in Europe (France specifically), they're probably honoring the copyright.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
katania
katania doesn't litterkatania doesn't litter

Hmmm... I am considering buing the Iliad. But reading of some of the difficultes (spelling??) some people have . at the price it is I could buy a lot of paperbooks???????? Or?????????
katania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

The device is mostly pretty stable, and very expandable. But you pay a lot for the annotation capability. You might want to check out the NAEB reader project, if you don't mind waiting a bit.