Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
JB Hotfix update won't install (KO2)

I put the .bin file in root, but Update Your Kindle remains greyed out.

I'm picking the one from Packages targeting the Kindle 5, K5 JailBreak Hotfix here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I've never updated the hotfix before, so I thought I would give it a try on my 5.9.2 KOA2.

DL JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip
md5sum JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip
ac59b75a539ec5b97836173e467f1bc9 JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip
unzip -q JailBreak-1.16.N-FW-5.x-hotfix
scp -p Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin root@oasis:/mnt/us

Settings -> Device Options -> Advanced Options

Aaand... Update Your Kindle is grayed out.

So duplicated your results.

Has the 2022 May 17 hotfix release worked for anyone?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@j.p.s Is the bin file still on device when you reconnect it via USB cable to your computer?
And don't do it the lazy way (scp copying :P, over WiFi? ), test the traditional USB storage mode transfer.
I've used that exact "build" of hotfix package on PW5 with firmware 5.14.1.1 10 days ago...

Last edited by shamanNS; 08-08-2022 at 05:30 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@j.p.s Is the bin file still on device when you reconnect it via USB cable to your computer?
Yes.

Quote:
And don't do it the lazy way (scp copying :P, over WiFi? ), test the traditional USB storage mode transfer.
I can't because all my kindles are permanently in USBnetwork mode. This is essential for my KOA2 because it locks up hard when USBnetwork is toggled. Then I have to reboot. Then it nags me that an update is available. (I've never enabled ssh over wifi. Maybe someday.)
Old 08-08-2022, 05:55 PM   #5
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Are you using the renameota extension? If the answer is yes, click restore, wait for kindle to restart and try using the hotfix again.
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:03 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
Are you using the renameota extension? If the answer is yes, click restore, wait for kindle to restart and try using the hotfix again.
I do not have renameota installed.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:28 PM   #7
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Did you have 'mrpackages' folder (MR Package Installer)?

If yes, then do the following steps:

1. Copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin into the mrpackages folder.
2. On the Home screen, search box enter ";log mrpi" to install the hotfix.

IMO, for custom packages, you need to use MRPI to install.

Last edited by tekkasit; 08-09-2022 at 02:00 AM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
Did you have 'mrpackages' folder (MR Package Installer)?

If yes, then do the following steps:

1. Copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin into the mrpackages folder.
2. On the Home screen, search box enter ";log mrpi" to install the hotfix.

IMO, for custom packages, you need to use MRPI to install.
Thanks! That worked.

After re-re-rereading the instructions, that is what they say. I really truly believe there must be a less confusing way for them to be worded.

Hope tomsem is still following this thread.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:39 PM   #9
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Hotfix package is supposed to be the one exception to that rule "install everything using MRPI".
Jailbreak bridge bin package (inside jailbreak zip in the Snapshots thread) does pretty much the same thing as hotfix package, the difference being in how they're packaged (and in strictness of some checks IIRC), so the bridge package must always be installed using MRPI and hotfix should work with "Update Your Kindle" mechanism.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:09 AM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
This is the situation for me. I will try this.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:35 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is the situation for me. I will try this.
Yes, so after Restore (of renameota) I was able to install hot fix, and then enable renameota again.