Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
Kindle Firmware Version 5.14.3.2

Version 5.14.3.2 – August 2022

Here's what's new:

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I took a look at the new firmware to see what was changed from the previous release. The only thing I found is a small UI change that can be remotely enabled by Amazon that will allow active subscriptions to be canceled using the Kindle.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I took a look at the new firmware to see what was changed from the previous release. The only thing I found is a small UI change that can be remotely enabled by Amazon that will allow active subscriptions to be canceled using the Kindle.
So is it a bug fix or Performance improvement?
Old 08-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They do try to make their change logs as uninformative as possible.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
eilon
Enthusiast

copy paste...
Old 08-08-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What, no way to Close your Amazon account?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
What, no way to Close your Amazon account?
So far that seems to be only an iOS and Mac thing.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #8
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Just curious - are all Kindles updated at the same time, or is there a pattern of updates based on geography, age or some other factor?

My Kindle is still showing an earlier version of firmware (5.14.3.0.1), and the option to force a device update is grayed out.

Should I be worried?
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #9
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Not all devices are updated at once. If you don't want to wait for OTA update to be downloaded via WiFi you can always use your computer to download update bin file from Amazon's site and transfer it via USB cable to your Kindle and update manually.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

The option to update will not appear until your device has been chosen to receive the update and the update file has been downloaded to the device.

Amazon's firmware rollout process is very slow and cautious. It can take months before everyone is updated. Early adopters are effectively beta testers.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #11
herpez
herpez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
Quote:
The option to update will not appear until your device has been chosen to receive the update and the update file has been downloaded to the device.

Amazon's firmware rollout process is very slow and cautious. It can take months before everyone is updated. Early adopters are effectively beta testers.
Strangely, for the first time after years of manually updating my PW3, i copy the correct update BIN file to my device, and the update option keeps greyed out, and after a reboot the bin file is deleted.

It never happened before. I have always my kindle in airplane mode.

Any idea why?
Thanks
herpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpez View Post
Strangely, for the first time after years of manually updating my PW3, i copy the correct update BIN file to my device, and the update option keeps greyed out, and after a reboot the bin file is deleted.

Any idea why?
Thanks
Usually that means you have the wrong file or it is corrupted. For a PW3 the file is named update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.14.3.2.bin and has an SHA-256 hash of C65194DE87B3C89D0695E8F0314BC82EEB52896266F8399C10 7A4C8D020AA016.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by herpez View Post

Any idea why?
Thanks
amazon's confusing model nomenclature makes it easy to download the wrong file for your device.

What are the first 6 characters of your serial number and what is the exact file name you downloaded?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Is there a chance 5.14.3.1 will get a jailbreak? Before I consider upgrading.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 05:40 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
They do try to make their change logs as uninformative as possible.
Not many companies are good at change logs for new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote