Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #5776
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I just spent .77 on a first in series book. That's my first one for over a month.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #5777
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I just spent .77 on a first in series book. That's my first one for over a month.
It's insidious. They get you with .77 and then .99 and from there....
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:47 AM   #5778
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Excellent! I hope you enjoy that book!

I am spending somewhat more . . . but my strategy to track purchases in a spreadsheet is helping. My goal is to spend no more than previous months, and my "stretch" goal is to spend less.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #5779
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I went through my Kobo wishlist and weeded it out. Either books I'd lost interest in (a few of them were "wait, why did I wishlist this?) and also using Library Extension to see what was available for borrowing.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #5780
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I went through my Kobo wishlist and weeded it out. Either books I'd lost interest in (a few of them were "wait, why did I wishlist this?) and also using Library Extension to see what was available for borrowing.
Yep. It’s always worth revisiting a wishlist item once that first rush of enthusiasm has abated. More than anything, that’s the value of wishlists.

I check for library availability as soon as I identify a wishlist item and in addition to OverDrive, that can include paper/ILL if I’m desperate. The third qualifier that will get me to expunge a title from my wishlist is when the price hasn’t budged for years; the acknowledgment that if I haven’t been motivated to paying the going price yet, I never will.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #5781
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a way to see the pricing history of a book?
Old 06-24-2022, 08:03 AM   #5782
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is there a way to see the pricing history of a book?
Ereaderiq, which I believe also works in Canada.

But for me, the quick and dirty method is that Amazon will show when a wishlist item has gone down in price since being added (although not when it’s gone up, heh). So when a book has languished on my list, and we can be talking for years, with no downward price movement, eventually I’ll purge it. Obviously I didn’t want it enough - even using funny money options like the monthly Spend $XX, Get $YY promotions - or it would have happened. It’ll never meet my price parameters for that title.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #5783
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So when a book has languished on my list, and we can be talking for years, with no downward price movement, eventually I’ll purge it.
I use ereaderiq, and it's true that items have stayed there since I first started using it. But I'm happy to wait.

Very occasionally, I'll decide I want to read something more than I want to wait for a special offer, and then I'll look around and see if Kobo has a big discount. But it's rarely cheaper at Kobo, even with a big discount.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:21 PM   #5784
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

With my latest survey payout, I'm running into a weird issue: after cleaning out my wishlis, I know that all the books on it I'm somewhat interested in and aren't available on my Overdrive libraries.

But then should I just buy whatever appeals to me most at this moment, even if it' more expensive? Or should I get the cheaper ones to maximize how much reading I get?

I've heard of Parkinson's patients developing compulsive shopping after some time on medication. I wonder if I'm doing the opposite of that. I went for the more expensive book in any case.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-05-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:17 AM   #5785
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been doing pretty well so far this year. This month I did take advantage of Amazon's "Spend £10, get £5" ebook offer, but instead of using it to buy (say) 15 discounted books, I bought three books that had been on my watch list for (literally) years - from 2014 in one case! (And three other books on my wish list that happened to get discounted this month.)

By a bit of convoluted arithmetic, I'm now counting those three books as costing just £2.49 each. Definitely a good buy.

Buying books I really want that haven't otherwise been discounted is a really good way to take advantage of such offers, IMO.

While the only books I regret this year were a set of 12 James Bond novels, where the offer prompted the want.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:27 AM   #5786
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

By a bit of convoluted arithmetic, I'm now counting those three books as costing just £2.49 each. Definitely a good buy.

"creative accounting", surely?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:36 AM   #5787
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
"creative accounting", surely?

I've spent £10.95 on ebooks this month (so far). £2.97 was on three £0.99 offers from my watchlist. So £7.98 was spent on the other three books. But I still have £0.51 credit left, which will get spent on the next discounted book, so "really" I've only spent £7.47 on the three 'expensive' books, so that's £2.49 each....
Old 07-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #5788
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
June was a wash out again, but mostly due to the StoryBundle. Can't not get humorous scifi - there is so little of it. Only one book purchased outside of my usual authors otherwise. July, so far, the same. This is for BOTH ebook and audio!

Addressing my other addiction of ereaders, Mom has decided she likes the PW3 over the Voyage, so that takes one out of my 15 ereader collection. I bought a Signature that I didn't need (delivery August 8), so I have to sell off two ereaders or Fires (We are downsizing, so for each thing in, two things out).

Last edited by Tarana; 07-16-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #5789
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
It's insidious. They get you with .77 and then .99 and from there....
But I'm a hard sell on a series. Most of them the first book is the best one and it's downhill from there. With a few exceptions of course.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #5790
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Coming back here since my backlist of unread e-books has shot up a lot and I need the willpower to stop before it become a big problem!

I have 33 books marked as unread. I did purge about 10~15 books over the past month or so just because I had no interest in reading them anymore and/or tried out the first chapter and DNF'd. I have kept my bar for DNF'ing extremely low during this which helps a lot.

I just feel like I have a lot of clutter in my backlog so I'm gonna clamp down over the next two months and not buy anything and just blitz through the books. I feel like they're weighing me down - so many starts to book series. I am scared to try them just in case I get sucked into a new series, but I really need to actually try them.

I will say, focusing on this paid e-book backlock has introduced me to some books I never expected to like as much as I did. So it's already paying dividends!
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote