Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #61
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
Why is that? What's interesting to me is why someone prefers one format over another.
The first 4 reasons:

1, my ebooks are in Mobipocket already, and I don't want to convert all of them;
2, my preferred device reads Mobipocket, but not Epub;
3, I'm more comfortable making Mobipocket than Epub; and
4, it's easier to find the titles I want in Mobipocket.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #62
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The first 4 reasons:

1, my ebooks are in Mobipocket already, and I don't want to convert all of them;
Those certainly seem in keeping with what I have been hearing. Nothing about the Epub format itself so much as availability and familiarity.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #63
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The first 4 reasons:

If I may add a 5th reason for my preference also for Mobipocket:

I much prefer the appearance and formatting flexibility of the Mobipocket format (or does this constitute TWO more reasons?).
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #64
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Three more reasons to hate epub--at least on the V5:
1. No hyperlink support. (this is an implementation issue, not a format one; epub can support hyperlinks.)
2. Keyboard lock doesn't work when in epub docs (it locks, but it doesn't unlock)
3. validation needs a program on a windows PC--I don't like the need for any computer, I don't like the need for it to be Windows and I really really don't like validation programs. Microsoft LIT taught me not to trust what they may do the the OS itself. The mobi validation (PID's encoded in the file) and ereader/Barnes and Noble validation (name and credit card info embedded in the file) are much more acceptable.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #65
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Three more reasons to hate epub--at least on the V5:
1. No hyperlink support. (this is an implementation issue, not a format one; epub can support hyperlinks.)
2. Keyboard lock doesn't work when in epub docs (it locks, but it doesn't unlock)
3. validation needs a program on a windows PC--I don't like the need for any computer, I don't like the need for it to be Windows and I really really don't like validation programs. Microsoft LIT taught me not to trust what they may do the the OS itself. The mobi validation (PID's encoded in the file) and ereader/Barnes and Noble validation (name and credit card info embedded in the file) are much more acceptable.
I'm hoping 1 will change. I have reported 2 to Astak who said they will try to have the fix in the next update.
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #66
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
If I may add a 5th reason for my preference also for Mobipocket:

I much prefer the appearance and formatting flexibility of the Mobipocket format (or does this constitute TWO more reasons?).
Except that Epub is actually more flexible then Mobipocket. But if you mean that you are used to how books look in Mobipocket, then it's a valid reason.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The longer I'm reading with this device, the more annoying I'm finding the numbers. Once it got to 100+, it started really interfering with the text.
That's just the specific implementation on the Hanlin. If you look at my photograph of the CyBook Opus displaying an ePub file here, I'm sure you'll agree that the page number isn't the least bit objectionable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #68
hyegeek
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...I'm sure you'll agree that the page number isn't the least bit objectionable.
I do agree. Maybe Astak will clean that up in the next version (or the next...).
Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #69
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Why is that? What's interesting to me is why someone prefers one format over another.
Same reasons Nate gave, basically.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #70
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
It appears that the Hanlin implementation of ADE does not support hyperlinks. It DOES support the "index" function which--more or less--substitutes for a table of contents if the epub is built correctly.
Actually, the BeBook Mini does support links. I always make a HTML toc in my books. And I can click in this toc to go to the chapter I want to. I don't need to index function. But you need the 9 and 0 keys to select your link. the < and > and thumbwheel will go to the next page, disregarding the links.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #71
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I Love EPUB. It's the main reason I bought an e-reader!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #72
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had to change my source file a bit, but so far, I managed to get my epub version look the same as my mobipocket version. I've not found one advantage of one over the other yet.

The implementation of mobipocket on the bebook mini could be better though, I find the smallest font too large (it only has 3 font-sizes, compared to the 5 of epub)
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #73
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I had to change my source file a bit, but so far, I managed to get my epub version look the same as my mobipocket version. I've not found one advantage of one over the other yet.
There is one advantage for epub: better css support. It is possible to show "drop capitals" in epubs, something mobipocket cannot do (as far as I know. And I tried it on my Cybook Gen3).
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #74
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've nothing against it. I only think it arrives too late for me and adds me nothing I value.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
There is one advantage for epub: better css support. It is possible to show "drop capitals" in epubs, something mobipocket cannot do (as far as I know. And I tried it on my Cybook Gen3).
As my CSS file is rather simple, that's not really a problem for me But one change I did have to make was to not only add a margin-top: 0, but also a margin-bottom: 0 in order for my <p> tags to not show a white line. I had to add a text-align: justify to full justify my epub. And I finally had to add a margin (left and right) so that stupid epub page number thingie wouldn't be shown in my text...

I did try to tell the epub to use a certain font, but that didn't work...