Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-17-2023, 08:47 AM   #1
qkiazd
qkiazd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Sigil Font use without error messages

Hello, iI need help please.

I make a ebook with sigil it almost everything is ok.
But i use the Plugin "epub check" and the error says on all font strings - a example:

page_styles.css,45,996,Col: 5: ERROR(RSC-026): URL ""../Fonts/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf"" leaks outside the container (it is not a valid-relative-ocf-URL-with-fragment string)

My "Styles/page_styles.css" is correct:

@font-face {
font-family: DejaVuSans;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(../Fonts/DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf)
}

In the ebook path "Fonts" is the file "DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf" correct on board.
What es wrong with this url entrys?
I see the font arts correct in the book - why this errors messages?

Thx.
qkiazd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You font file is located above or outside the epub root would be my guess. Where is the css file stored relative to epub roof?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #3
qkiazd

Who can I see in CCS Bereich in Sigils?
Die Structure ist doch eigentlich vorgegeben - ich habe sogar eine älteren Klon, bei welchem ich es genauso nachkopiert habe und trotzdem kommt bei der Kopie neuerdings der Fehler.

What is a problem with the new Sigil Version within?
Old 11-17-2023, 11:00 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkiazd View Post
What is a problem with the new Sigil Version within?
There is no problem with the new version of Sigil. Many, many people are using it without issue. I checked many of my epubs with embedded fonts with the latest Sigil and I get no errors when running the epubcheck plugin (which is using the latest 5.1.0 version of EPUBCheck).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2023 at 11:05 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 11:26 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again please provide a list of files/paths inside the epub root folder to that font file and that css file.

I am betting that your css is file is at the root level of the epub causing the ../ part of the url/path to technically be outside the epub container.

Try turning on show full paths in BookBrowser in Sigil Preferences. Or just hover your mouse cursor over that font file and that css file in Sigil's BookBrowser and the popup tooltip will report the paths.

Please post the paths here.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-17-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Advert
Old 11-17-2023, 11:48 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sigil kept valiantly trying to correct all of my various links when trying to recreate the issue, but I finally managed to get the exact same error by moving the stylesheet file to the root of the epub and manually changing the embedded font src url path in it to "../Fonts/blah".

If you manually move a css file to the root of the epub container, Sigil will correctly adjust the font urls (if they're correct to begin with) to OEBPS/Fonts/blah (Note the missing "../" in the url). But if you manually add the "../" to the url and re-run epubcheck, you'll get the error. As it should be.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:07 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

They may have used AddExisting to pull in an existing css file from another working epub resulting it in being put in the root of the epub instead of in a css folder since no other css existed.

Unless full paths are shown in BookBrowser, and if the user does not understand the BookBrowser folders are virtual groupings of similar file types, they may not understand what is going on.

That is why I wanted to see the actual epub root relative file paths to confirm.
so we could explain how to fix this.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-17-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 12:22 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

That's a good point. Seeing the css file under Styles in Book Browser does not mean the physical file is in a folder named Styles. Some people have trouble understanding that Book Browser is a logical representation of an epub's contents, not a physical representation of the archive's structure.
Old 11-17-2023, 03:27 PM   #9
qkiazd

@ KevinH & DiapDealer: Showing the full path was a good tip.

Unfortunately, for copyright reasons, I cannot post the entire epub I scanned myself, but I hope to express myself clearly.

All book sides are all in the folder "text", chapter 1 - 129.
The CSS files under the folder "styles".
The Fonts under the folder "folder".

Here are 3 screenshots to download:
https://file.io/tlf3goCKVrWn

Sigil is confusing to me in that way, but i love this tool :-)

In older 1.X versions the clear path was analog DiapDealers message "OEBPS/Font/...", then i mean it goes with "Font/..." and now suddenly "../Font/...". But When the Path was absolut not correct, i see the message: The Path in epub not found. So something is found, but somehow with a wrong other syntax.

Why doesn't right-clicking on a marker generally go from the origin to the target in the structure as an internal link search? I don't understand why everything is made so difficult or why you have to link something freehand.

If you want me to provide more, please click more details on what exactly you want me to provide you. Thanks four your help!

Last edited by qkiazd; 11-17-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:38 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkiazd View Post
In older 1.X versions the clear path was analog DiapDealers message "OEBPS/Font/..."
Most likely, you used an epub created with a tool other than Sigil as a template and added new files to it.
If you prefer the older folder structure, create a copy of your epub, select Tools > Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm and re-run the EpubCheck plugin.
If that doesn't fix your problem, post the font definition section of your .css file.
For example:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "EBGaramond";
  src: url(../Fonts/EBGaramond-Regular.ttf);
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
}
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:07 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I went to download the screenshots and they've been deleted already. It's only been a few hours!
Old 11-17-2023, 05:09 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

See first post in this thread for the font css.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-17-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:26 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, your screenshots were deleted when I tried to access them as well.

So what we need you to do is go to Sigil's Preferences, and under Appearance Preferences make sure you have checked (enabled) the following:

* BookBrowser should show full paths

Then after saving those Preferences go to Sigil's BookBrowser window (where the files names and logical folders are listed) and write down the full epub relative path to that specific css file and to that specific font file and add that info to this thread.

That way we can validate the relative path from the css file to the that font as the url in your css.

Once we understand that we should be able to tell you how to fix things yourself.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-17-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:09 AM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I went to download the screenshots and they've been deleted already. It's only been a few hours!
Whoever downloaded them probably didn't know that file.io uploads can only be downloaded once. It'd be helpful if the downloader attached them to a new post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
See first post in this thread for the font css.
I missed that one.

It looks like the stylesheet was designed for epubs with the default Sigil folders. As I wrote in my other reply, most likely the OP used an epub created by tool other than Sigil as a template and added a stylesheet from another book created with Sigil default folders.

If that's the case, normalizing the folders might fix the OP's problem.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:30 AM   #15
qkiazd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Most likely, you used an epub created with a tool other than Sigil as a template and added new files to it.
If you prefer the older folder structure, create a copy of your epub, select Tools > Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm and re-run the EpubCheck plugin.
If that doesn't fix your problem, post the font definition section of your .css file.
}[/CODE]
That was the solution :-)
I use "Tools/Restructure epub to Sigil Norm".

The Effect was:
1. "OEBPS/" is now on the path in front of all files in the left main structure
2. The Tool EpubCheck found no errors

So in the future I will only use new templates or convert old templates if necessary.

Thx for all!