Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
Ialou
Ialou began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Ares Note
problems opening the program

After the last update the program does not open directly. I need to try 5/6 times until I get it.
A blank screen opens and after a few seconds a message appears saying that the program is not responding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	204738  
Ialou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:28 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Some details would help.
What platform? OS? Version?
What version of Sigil?
Where did you download Sigil from?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2023, 12:50 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Looks like Windows. The Sigil icon color suggests that it's at least v2.0, but yea... we could use a lot more information, here.

My guess is an eager-beaver 3rd-party antivirus program is interfering with something.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Similar problem here ==>> Calibre UI Missing?

Post # 5 has a similar screen shot - title bar only.

No resolution, the user went back to an old version of calibre.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:11 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I ran into one person who had a similar issue with calibre 6.29 on their desktop. The issue was fixed when the video drivers on the desktop were updated. QT6 and their old video driver version were not happy campers.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2023, 06:24 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Video drivers are a safe bet. The newer the Qt, the newer the drivers required.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:33 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I referred the OP in the calibre thread to one of Kovid's posts that covers the QT/video issue and the QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS setting.

At a guess I'd say the OP would have taken notice, he was forthcoming… and fault tolerant. I'll try to get him to confirm he tried updating video drivers.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-16-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:04 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

We have a setting in preferences to enable that, but if Sigil doesn't launch, it's hard to check the box. If the environment variable does the trick, though, the box can be ticked and the environment variable done away with.

One could also manually edit the Sigil ini (Sigil_v6.ini for Sigil 2+) and change disable_gpu=false to disable_gpu=true (or add disable_gpu=true if no entry exists) in the [user_preferences] section.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
Ialou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Some details would help.
What platform? OS? Version?
What version of Sigil?
Where did you download Sigil from?
Win 10 home single language
22h2 version
OS 19045.3693

Sigil
version 2.0.2
Qt 6.5.3

* When I need to use the program I have to close all other programs on my computer and restart Windows.
So the first program I should open is Sigil.
This is the only way I can use the program.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #10
Ialou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We have a setting in preferences to enable that, but if Sigil doesn't launch, it's hard to check the box. If the environment variable does the trick, though, the box can be ticked and the environment variable done away with.

One could also manually edit the Sigil ini (Sigil_v6.ini for Sigil 2+) and change disable_gpu=false to disable_gpu=true (or add disable_gpu=true if no entry exists) in the [user_preferences] section.

Which checkbox? I can open the program when restarting Windows.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:49 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would (in this order):

1. Try Updating to very latest video driver as it sounds like your opengl driver is broken
2. Try disabling all third party anti-virus software
3. Try checking the "Disable GPU Acceleration in QtWebEngine/Preview" in Sigil's General Preferences

Please report back any results to help others.
Old 11-23-2023, 04:33 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I referred the OP in the calibre thread to one of Kovid's posts that covers the QT/video issue and the QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS setting.

At a guess I'd say the OP would have taken notice, he was forthcoming… and fault tolerant. I'll try to get him to confirm he tried updating video drivers.
FTR: the calibre issue was eventually resolved by deleting one of calibre's configuration files… gui.json, on restart calibre created a fresh one.

See post 27 onwards in here =>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=356936&page=2

BR
Old 11-23-2023, 05:15 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

But OP said they could open Sigil properly if it was first thing after restart so I doubt this is related to config files at all. It really sounds like a broken video driver.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:43 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
But OP said they could open Sigil properly if it was first thing after restart so I doubt this is related to config files at all. It really sounds like a broken video driver.
They said that after my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FTR: the calibre issue was eventually resolved… blah blah
FTR: For The Record — by implication of little consequence. I was merely fulfilling my earlier commitment to 'discover'.

BR
Old 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM   #15
Ialou

Quote:
I would (in this order):

1. Try Updating to very latest video driver as it sounds like your opengl driver is broken
2. Try disabling all third party anti-virus software
3. Try checking the "Disable GPU Acceleration in QtWebEngine/Preview" in Sigil's General Preferences

Please report back any results to help others.

Thank you everyone for the answers and help.

I'm doing tests to try to find out what will really solve the problem.

Yesterday I checked the video drivers and Windows came back with the message that they are all up to date.

Yesterday and this morning the program worked without problems. I closed and opened the program several times and everything went fine.

Today, after Calibre was updated to version 7.1.0, Sigil had problems starting again.
The problems remained, even after I uninstalled and downgraded Calibre.

I restarted the notebook and Sigil started working again.
I turned off the AVAST (anti virus) modules. Apparently it didn't affect the problem.

At the moment I have Calibre updated again, anti virus active and Sigil working (I closed and opened it about 2 times while typing this message - everything ok)

If the problem continues I will try "Disable GPU Acceleration in QtWebEngine/Preview" as suggested...