Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-29-2023, 01:00 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quick way to remove all class invokations for missing classes?

I couldn't find this in search, but I'm basically wondering if there's a way to basically do the inverse of the "Delete unused stylesheet selectors" function.

I'm converting over a detailed game guide that originally consisted of several hundred Google docs, which I had downloaded as html and imported to Sigil. I've done a lot of the work in converting over headers, tables, and whatnot, but nearly every paragraph is either classed, or has classed spans that are unneeded due to the conversion process. I can't just do a quick S&R because the class names are named differently in each of those files, and there are some that colour the text that I'd like to keep.

So what I would ideally like to do is go through the styles, which are currently in the file header, rename the ones that don't change the text colour (i.e. from "c\d+", to "XXDELETEXX" or somesuch), then use a function to find any <p>, <span>, etc that call a now-disconnected class and remove it.

For a more specific example, lets say I have:

Code:
<head>
  <style type="text/css">
.c2 {
  color: #000000;
  font-weight: 400;
}

.c26 {
  color: #ff0000;
}

.c73 {
}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<p class="c26">red</span></p>

<p><span class="c2 c73 c26">red and others</span></p>

<li class="c2">only others</li>
</body>
Rename unwanted classes a la:

Code:
<head>
  <style type="text/css">
.DELETEME {
}

.c26 {
}

.DELETEME {
}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<p><span class="c2 c73 c26">red and others</span></p>

<li class="c2">only others</li>
</body>
Then do a sort of reverse-"Delete unused stylesheet selectors" function that would leave me with:

Code:
<head>
  <style type="text/css">
.DELETEME {
}

.c26 {
}

.DELETEME {
}
</style>
</head>

<body>

<p><span class="c26">red and others</span></p>

<li>only others</li>
</body>
I could then do an actual "Delete unused stylesheet selectors" to get rid of the DELETEME classes.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could give TagMechanic a go.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=270639
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2023, 01:19 PM   #3
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could give TagMechanic a go.
I use that plugin often, and that's how I'd do the cleanup (removing the DELETEMEs in my example) but to my knowledge it doesn't check if a class reference is defined or not.

In my example, renaming the classes would disconnect the reference to the class from the class definition, so the class c2 wouldn't connect to anything, since its definition was renamed to DELETEME. I'd like to be able to find all of those undefined class reference and remove them.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:28 PM   #4
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
You probably need this plugin – cssUndefinedClasses.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 09-29-2023 at 01:38 PM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #5
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
That looks like exactly what I need. I had to do a lot of manual work still because it wouldn't remove classes if a class of the same name was in a different file's header, but it helped a lot. Thanks!
Advert
Old 09-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use TagMechanic to get rd of unwanted classes in the HTML and use cssUndefinedClasses to get rid of unused classes after you've dumped the unwanted classes.

I start by deleting any unwanted HTML. Then I remove some unwanted classes if there are any that I've noticed right away. I remove unused classes and then I add in my small list of classes. When I am done, I remove any other classes I've made unused. When I am done, all CSS and all classes in HTML as in use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:50 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
I couldn't find this in search, but I'm basically wondering if there's a way to basically do the inverse of the "Delete unused stylesheet selectors" function.

I'm converting over a detailed game guide that originally consisted of several hundred Google docs, which I had downloaded as html and imported to Sigil.

[...]

I could then do an actual "Delete unused stylesheet selectors" to get rid of the DELETEME classes.
You would want to do a:
  • Calibre EPUB->EPUB conversion

This would merge all dozens/hundreds of CSS files into unique classes.

From there, you would use the "surgical" approach I described in:

this would let you find/merge all the "duplicate" classes in sucessive conversions.

Since 2021, KevinH has also added that cleanup functionality into Sigil too! It's called the "CSSToolbox", and I described it in more detail here:
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:29 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post

KevinH's RemoveInLineStyles plugin might also be helpful, if the source files also contain inline styles.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #9
Vanguard3000
Groupie

So cssUndefinedClasses wasn't ideal since there were a lot of duplicate style classes, and it wouldn't remove them unless every definition was gone. For example, several pages would have a defined "c1" class, but in some cases c1 would style the text's color to blue (something I intended to keep, albeit defined in a common stylesheet), while in others it would set the left margin to 0em (something I wanted gone).

Anyway, I had to do a lot of the work manually anyway, but cssUndefinedClasses sure helped a lot with the final cleanup steps.

Tags
classes, clean-up, replace, styles