Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 11:29 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For snits and giggles, you might try setting the QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING environment variable to 0 and see if it makes any difference.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:32 AM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
removed - posted to wrong thread

Last edited by KevinH; 08-22-2023 at 11:35 AM. Reason: posted to wrong thread
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 12:18 PM   #48
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That bug was specific to QToolButtons and not QMenu's. Your image shows a QMenuBar QMenu showing up on the wrong screen.
Pardon me; I'm not sure about the specific terminology for these, but the menus affected for me are:
  • The top menus (File, Edit, etc) as shown in the screenshot I attached.
  • The Search & Replace dropdowns (Normal/Case Sensitive/Regex, Down/Up, etc)
  • Right-click menus (in Book Browser, code pane, Clips pane, etc - basically anywhere in Sigil)

Quote:
My guess is that your "Primary Screen" is set in Windows Display to be the screen on the right.
I suspected that as well but that is not the case. My left monitor is #1 (primary) and right is #2; both are using the same resolution, the same make/model, and connected to the same video card by DisplayPort.

Quote:
Are you by chance launching Sigil on that screen on the right first, and then manually moving it to the left screen?
On a clean install or if I nuke the settings folder, Sigil opens on first run on the second (right) monitor in windowed mode. But when I move it to my left monitor, close, and reopen, Sigil of course remembers that position and opens it on the left monitor.

Again, if Sigil is on the right monitor all menus seem to appear correctly. Perhaps also of note is that the About screen opens on the right monitor, though at that point my cursor is on the menu, which is on the right. Opening the clip editor via hotkey opens it on the left.

Quote:
Does it show any difference when you change the screen's relative locations in Windows Display control panels?
I tried a few iterations of this and it always seems to want to open the menus on monitor #2 (the right one, physically) when Sigil is on #1 though where it opens is different each time. If I make #2 my primary display, the reverse occurs.

Quote:
What dpi are your monitors and what scalings are you using?
Both monitors are at:
  • 1920x1080
  • 100% scaling
  • "Let WIndows try to fix apps so they're not blurry" on
  • Landscape
  • No custom scaling

Quote:
You might want to take a peak at these bug reports to see if any match your situation
QTBUG-102356 seems the closest, though the specifics of the reporter's arrangement seem different (i.e. they suggest a three-monitor setup). There does seem to be a possible workaround in the comments, but it's beyond my ken as a non-QT-familiar dev.

Thank you for the help with this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-22 121734.png
Views:	44
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	203276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-22 121707.png
Views:	46
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	203277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-22 121648.png
Views:	50
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	203278  

Last edited by Vanguard3000; 08-22-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:28 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't make sense to me that a complete removal of Sigil and its preferences would not result in the program opening on the primary monitor at first launch. But you indicate that Sigil opens on the right monitor (from a clean install). And that the right monitor is NOT the primary.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-22-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:34 PM   #50
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After examining that issue, I am thinking that confusion over screen names (and if prmary or secondary are the cause.

This fix interacts with other fixes for related problems.

Is there a way for a Windows user to assign a user specific name to each screen. If so, you might try setting the screen names to be clearly different to see if that helps.

If you have a third monitor or can borrow one that is a different brand with different dpi/scaling, could you try temporarily using it in place of just one of you two monitors to see if that helps.

I will try to track down if the code listed at the bottom of the issue has made it into Qt 6.5.2 or not.

ps:

And I agree with what DiapDealer just wrote. Unless you have tied the app to one of your screens somehow, it should always open on the primary monitor first. Which sounds like the one on the right but according to you it is the left that is primary.
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 01:14 PM   #51
User_Z
Connoisseur
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: Computer, iPad
Hello.

Regarding dual monitors:

I have two different monitors with different settings:
Main: 2560x1440 landscape orientation
second: 1080x1920 portrait orientation
The desktop is extended to both monitors.
Windows 10 x64, Radeon Pro video card.

As far as I can tell everything is working fine. If you expand the Sigil window to full screen on the main monitor, then the menus open also on this monitor, inside the program window. Doesn't go to second monitor.
If you place the program window on both monitors (approximately equally), then the context menu opens as it should, on the left side of the mouse cursor on the free space of the desktop.
When approaching the right border of the second monitor, the menu moves to the left of the mouse cursor position when opened.
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #52
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So it is specific to his setup somehow.

I think something is telling Qt that the primary monitor is his right one and not the one he specified on the left.

Interesting ...
Old 08-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Or the problem only manifests on identical monitors with identical settings.

It still has to be something bug-ish in Qt6 affecting @Vanguard3000's setup. Seeing as how Sigil 1.9.30 works as expected with the same lashup.

Can we verify that there are no Qt environment variables in play?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-22-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:35 PM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The code in Qt 6.5.2 now uses device serial numbers instead of screen names. Hopefully even identical monitors will have different serial numbers!
Old 08-22-2023, 02:40 PM   #55
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Same as User_Z: different screen with "inverted" screen numbers > no bug.

Not a expert, but I like the KevinH idea: this could appear only if you have two absolutely identical screens.
That can be quick tested.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 08-22-2023 at 03:03 PM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:02 PM   #56
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It doesn't make sense to me that a complete removal of Sigil and its preferences would not result in the program opening on the primary monitor at first launch. But you indicate that Sigil opens on the right monitor (from a clean install). And that the right monitor s NOT the primary.
Seems odd to me as well, but as far as I can tell that's the case. I attached screenshots of my display settings to my last post as an edit, because I forgot to hit the "Upload" button the first time around.

Quote:
Is there a way for a Windows user to assign a user specific name to each screen.
I've renamed the "FiendlyName" of the monitors to "Left Monitor" and Right Monitor", removed the Sigil settings, restarted, and reran Sigil to no avail. I'm not sure if this is the "name" that Qt looks for, but it's the one the Device Manager uses (replacing "Generic PNP Monitor" for both).

Quote:
If you have a third monitor or can borrow one that is a different brand with different dpi/scaling, could you try temporarily using it in place of just one of you two monitors to see if that helps.
I don't have a spare monitor to do this unfortunately.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #57
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Just throwing this out there…

When I was having some really weird results from Sigil using multiple monitors it ended up being a driver issue. I had a default sound driver installed which was causing the issue. Removed the driver and problem was gone.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:07 PM   #58
Vanguard3000
Groupie

Quote:
The code in Qt 6.5.2 now uses device serial numbers instead of screen names. Hopefully even identical monitors will have different serial numbers!
Interestingly, the driver keys for my monitors use the same hash aside from the suffix, i.e.: {xxx}/0003 and {xxx}/0004.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:20 PM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Just throwing this out there…

When I was having some really weird results from Sigil using multiple monitors it ended up being a driver issue. I had a default sound driver installed which was causing the issue. Removed the driver and problem was gone.
I remember that! It was very baffling.

But we can't ignore the fact that @Vanguard3000's issue didn't start until Sigil 2.0.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:10 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Is by chance RemoteDesktop involved at all?

See https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-115514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Seems odd to me as well, but as far as I can tell that's the case. I attached screenshots of my display settings to my last post as an edit, because I forgot to hit the "Upload" button the first time around.

I've renamed the "FiendlyName" of the monitors to "Left Monitor" and Right Monitor", removed the Sigil settings, restarted, and reran Sigil to no avail. I'm not sure if this is the "name" that Qt looks for, but it's the one the Device Manager uses (replacing "Generic PNP Monitor" for both).

I don't have a spare monitor to do this unfortunately.