Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-2.0.0 Released

Sigil-2.0.0

Sigil-2.0.0 represents a mix of bug fixes and new features. Key points are the upgrade to Qt6.5.2 and Python 3.11.3 and the change to PySide6 instead of PyQt5/6 availability for plugins (see here for more details). We will also no longer be providing an official Windows 32-bit binary installer (legacy or otherwise). The update to Qt6.5.2 makes Windows 10 (1809) the minimum supported OS for the official version of Sigil starting with Sigil 2.0.0. Similarly, it makes the minimum supported MacOS version as 11.0 (Big Sur).

Bug Fixes
  • fix incorrect assert in sigil-gumbo
  • recognize application/pdf mediatype on epub import
  • remove compiler build warnings to clean up the build output
  • recognize source tag attribute srcset for xhtml source updates
  • fix Preview disconnect bug after split at cursor
  • fixed sigil-gumbo interface for plugins
  • added workaround for ADE epub3 bug with scaled cover images
  • fix encoding for named entities in opf metadata
  • fix drag/drop crash by disabling drop inside CodeViewEditor
  • fix CodeView to Preview syncing on text after an inline xhtml comment

New Features
  • updated to Qt 6.5.2 which is now used for official releases
  • updated to Python 3.11.3 and uses the latest EmbededPython interface
  • updated to the latest jquery version 3.6.4
  • supports use of embedded pdfs ala ADE
  • added dark window titlebars for Windows platforms
  • add support for a user's cover-template2.xhtml and cover-template3.xhtml
  • add user preference to control printing dpi and add busy indicator icon

--------------------------------- Notes -----------------------------------

The latest version of the Sigil User Guide can always be downloaded from the Sigil website, or from its own GitHub repository.

Please check the Sigil website for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

The MacOS builds are signed but they are NOT notarized. See this PageEdit/Sigil issue for more information.

PGP Fingerprint (for signed tags and source archives):
Code:
B5A5 6206 AB0F BC1A 24EF AB8A A166 D29A 8FCD AC63
All Sigil binary (and source) downloads can also be found as assets at the bottom of The Sigil-2.0.0 Github Release page.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 01:03 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reserved for future use
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 02:55 PM   #3
User_Z
Connoisseur
User_Z began at the beginning.

Device: Computer, iPad
Hello.

The PDF format worked great.

Congratulations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil-2 – PDF.png
Views:	149
Size:	851.2 KB
ID:	203224  
User_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:31 AM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Congrats on 2.0!
Looking forward to giving the Mac arm64 a try.
Love the green icon

As always, to KevinH, DiapDealer, and all the other developers who contribute time and energy for this marvelous software
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You are both welcome!

It is interesting to watch the downloads counts for the two macOS versions. The Intel (x86_64) build has a slight lead (202 downloads so far) over the Apple Silicon (arm64) build (179 downloads so far) and they are quite a bit closer than I thought they would be.

My initial guess had been that the arm64 build would lead by a big margin given it has been almost 3 years since they were introduced. So the longer life for macOS equipment may be the reason or maybe epub developers just like older hardware.

FWIW:

In comparison over the years, Windows accounts for about 4 to 5 times the downloads that macOS gets.

For Sigil-1.9.30 in the 5 months since its release:

macOS - 17,016 downloads
win legacy - 1,642 downloads
win32 - 3,562 downloads
win x64 - 71,448 downloads.

Of course this does not count third parties distributors like Homebrew, MacPorts, Chocolatey, winget, etc nor Linux at all.

Since we are true opensource and do this fully on a volunteer basis, we do absolutely no tracking of any kind and collect no data from users of any kind (the last of a dying breed that way). So all we can do to gauge interest or usage levels is to look at these incomplete download counts.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-20-2023 at 09:35 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 04:18 AM   #6
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you! :-)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:35 AM   #7
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
This is great! I mentioned an issue a while back about the scroll bars "holding onto" the cursor when moving offscreen, and I am pleased to see that is no longer an issue, since it was fairly irritating for me. I assume that came in with a library update.

The preview-update-after-split issue being fixed is another particularly nice one for me.

It's going to take a while for me to get used to the new cover image presentation, but I'll get used to it.

Thanks for all the hard work!
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:40 AM   #8
rudy
rudy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
If I right click on the Misc folder then sigil crash. My system is windows 10 and I'm curious if this is a problem with me or global.
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:00 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps someone with Sigil on Windows can try that (right clicking on the Misc folder in BookBrowser), and report back. Perhaps also try it on the previous release as well and report back just in case it is Qt version related.

If it is not-global, most crashing has to do with some software you have installed interfering with Sigil or Qt. This can be system extensions, anti-virus software, Defender, etc. Try telling Defender/anti-virus software to leave Sigil alone, try restarting with extensions disabled, etc.

Make sure you have full read and write access to Sigil's Preferences directory and all its subfolders.

Another reason for crashing is due to too old graphics drivers that do not work with Qt (Sigil's gui software). Try updating your Graphics driver.

Next try disabling graphics acceleration in Sigil Preferences and restart Sigil.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-21-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
rudy

In version 1.9.30 when I right click everything is ok.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:30 PM   #11
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I opened the very first epub I found, right-clicked on misc and crash... ops...

Win 10 (latest updates).

--

edit.

I tried a couple more files, all crashed. Even starting Sigil "empty" with the default crashes

Last edited by patrik; 08-21-2023 at 12:58 PM.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #12
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Windows 10 - I get that misc folder issue as well.

I've also noticed an issue where the menus open on the second (right) monitor, if Sigil is on the first (left). All menus open at the same X position on the second monitor. If Sigil is on the second monitor, the menus appear correctly.

(In the attached screenshot, the Sigil window has been resized to make the shot smaller, but the right edge is at the right side of the left monitor.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bug.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	203252  

Last edited by Vanguard3000; 08-21-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So a reproducible crash on Windows by right clicking on Misc folder but only in Qt6.

I will look into tracking it down. Is is only the Misc folder? Does it crash with anyother folder?

I am away from my desktop machine so if someone could try the same thing on macOS and report back that would help. If I can reproduce this on macOS or Linux then the bug will be much easier to track down.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-21-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:47 PM   #14
rudy

Yes, it's only Misc folder.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:39 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll check on Linux later on, but it typically mirrors Windows where crashiness is concerned.