Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #91
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
As to 5G bandwidth capabilities and usage caps, to be commercially viable 5G will be expected to support 4K HDR video streaming. Today that requires a sustained connection, per customer, of 25Megabits per second:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

That works out to 3.125 megabytes per second and 11.25 gigabytes per hour.
A customer streaming a two hour movie each evening will be consuming over 20GB daily and well over 600GB a month.

This does not require 5G but represents the floor that any 5G service will have to exceed to be competitive in the next decade. Yes, this will require massive investments and deep pocket players but there is no shortage of money. Existing wireless providers are already spending tens of billions upgrading and the ones unable/unwilling to do so (T-mobile) are looking to sell to those willing to ante up before their current infrastructure investment is devalued.
There will be consolidation just as there is consolidation in publishing.
It is the inevitable result of all tech disruptions.
Just as avid reader adoption to ebooks is disrupting the tradebook industry, the transition to streaming as the *primary* means of video entertainment consumption is disrupting the TV and movie industry.

In the next decade Amazon's investment in Prime video will be seen as prescient as their investments in Kindle, AWS, and Alexa. Mostly because the 100 million subscribers are financing and justifying the billions Amazon is pouring into Amazon Studios for movies and TV series they control instead of just licensing them from Hollywood.

They're not alone.
Netflix is doing it.
Hulu is doing it.
Sony is quietly doing it. (Check out CRACKLE originals.)
Disney and TimeWarner (regardless of who ends up owning them) are doing it.
Even Apple is (belatedly) getting into it.

Expect more mergers between content owners and tech companies.
Facebook and Google will need to buy up the likes of Discovery, Lifetime, and Hallmark if they are to compete.

Whole new ballgame with less room for middlemen and pilot fish.
Just like publishing.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-26-2018 at 12:19 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #92
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
Amazon is raising their price for Prime from $99 to $119 starting May 11.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #93
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alism View Post
Still a fairly good deal, I think.

EDIT: I just looked at my account and it said I would be charged $99 in mm/dd/2019 (Month and Day redacted). I don't see any notices on a price change. Do you have something to support this?

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 04-26-2018 at 06:30 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #94
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Details:

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-to-...o-119-from-99/

If your renewal is before june 16th you're safe for another year.
But no prepayments allowed.

Edit: I'm July.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-26-2018 at 06:34 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #95
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
With the monthly price increase back in February, it was only a matter of time.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If Amazon spins Prime Video out as a separate service, I'm cancelling.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-26-2018 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #97
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Yep, I just saw it.

Amazon hikes Prime fee to $119

Quote:
amazon announced a 20% price increase in its annual Amazon Prime fee, from $99 to $119, beginning May 11 for new customers. Existing customers renewing will begin paying the higher fee in June, the company said on its quarterly earnings call.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #98
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Details:

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-to-...o-119-from-99/

If your renewal is before june 16th you're safe for another year.
But no prepayments allowed.

Edit: I'm July.
Yeah, I saw that after I posted my question. $99/year is better, but I think $120/year is still a reasonable price to keep my unlimited photo storage, music service, free video, family account sharing, etc. I think I'd rather have a price increase than a cut in services.

At what price does it become untenable? I'm not sure, but for me, it isn't $120.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:24 AM   #99
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If Amazon spins Prime Video out as a separate service, I'm cancelling.
Yeah, that's my feeling too, but I haven't heard any rumors to that effect.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #100
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't have Prime nor do I shop at Whole Foods (none here), but I've been told that Whole Foods is cancelling its affinity program which included on-line coupons and making it a Prime-only benefit.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Yeah, that's my feeling too, but I haven't heard any rumors to that effect.
It's the other shoe that'll drop. I have no proof, but I can "feel" it about to happen.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #102
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm not happy about a price increase, but it translates to $1.67/month more. Not a dealbreaker.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm not happy about a price increase, but it translates to $1.67/month more. Not a dealbreaker.
I can live with the price increase just as long as Amazon doesn't remove any of the current services that are available to Prime members.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #104
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can live with the price increase just as long as Amazon doesn't remove any of the current services that are available to Prime members.
I would think they would add services. The whole point of Prime is to hook the customer into the Amazon ecosystem.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #105
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yeah, but it's like the frog in the pot. A 20% increase is significant and parsing it in terms of monthly cost when you have to pay it all at once is playing Amazon's game for them. Why not put it on the basis of less than 6¢ a day? All those literal nickels and dimes do add up.

I already don't have Prime so clearly I didn't see the value at $99. But presumably each Prime member has their personal line where the value would no longer exist. However, inertia and the slowly hotter water will keep a lot of people from taking a hard look at it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote