Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, FW:5.6.1
Cool best eReader from typographical point of view?

Hello Mobilereaders,
it's been a while since I've been active on this site. Haven't been keeping up with the latest developments. I'm a longtime Sony 500/505 user. Just got a Kindle Paperwhite. The screen is nice but I'm disappointed with the typography. When I try to research various eReaders, not much is said on that point.

I'm looking for some advice on which eReaders have the the following:
  • multi-level ToC
  • pdf displayed "as is" instead of converted/formatted as on the Kindle Paperwhite (that way I can make a formatted pdf that has similar typography as print books)

Other options which would be nice but aren't necessary include:
  • either a ragged right option OR full justification with hyphenation to prevent unacceptable word spacing in a given line
  • good resolution
  • a more consistent touch interface (sometimes I have to press a couple times on the Kindle Paperwhite)
  • wi-fi access to a well-stocked online store

Would you assist me with some advice on these options, and which readers have them (especially the two in the first list)? Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year.
Ryan
bookbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pretty much all modern reading devices meet your first two requirements. The Kindle will display PDFs "as is", but the results won't be good unless the PDF has been created with a page size which matches the size of the Kindle's screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you are emailing the PDF files to the PW with convert in the subject line, you are telling the email service to convert from PDF to mobi format. You don't have to put convert in the subject line, if you want it to stay a PDF.

The Amazon store is pretty much the best stocked on the planet. What more do you want?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
bookbinder
Connoisseur
bookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-booksbookbinder has learned how to read e-books

Thanks for the responses. So with the exception of the Kindle, most of the others support multi-level ToC? I'm hoping to find out for sure. I've also searched for Kindle screen dimensions and keep finding only the dimensions for the entire device. I've measured carefully with a ruler. But the pdf with a paper size equal to the screen size I measured still doesn't retain the same margins or font size as the original. It seems to be zooming and/or panning.

I'm not putting convert in the subject line. What more do I want? Typography in an eBook that matches the quality of typography in a printed book. This is easily attained in a pdf that doesn't get messed with by the device. Also a multilevel ToC because reading academic books or the Bible is cumbersome w/o it.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
First, it is not easy to make a print like pdf out of an ebook. Maybe if you use latex you come close, but I won't say this is easy. If all you want is hyphenation and justified text, then there is a calibre plugin for that.

For multi-level toc, at least kobo does not support this also (i miss it too). A workaround could be to let calibre make an inline-toc. But of course, that would always be one click more.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
bookbinder
Connoisseur

Yes, using LaTeX. Thanks for the tip about Calibre. Will give that a shot.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If reading pdf files is a priority, you should consider an open Android device like the Onyx or the Boyue. With these, you can install a large number of off the shelf pdf reader softwares which will allow you to better utilize your hardware to read a pdf on a small screen. This is a better solution than attempting to convert a pdf to an epub, etc. The same applies with reading real ebook formats and using things like Toc. Basically no out of the box user interface such as you find on a Kindle or a Kobo can compete with abilities of the many apps available for Android. Personally Id look at the Boyue but the Onyx has 6.8 inch screen which might be handy. But you have to read pdfs in landscape so its not a huge deal. When reading pdf files on a 6 inch screen, the key is reading in landscape and cropping. I use Orion reader for pdf files and Alreader for epubs.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-04-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If PDF is a priority, a tablet would bet better then any eInk Reader. An iPad or iPad Mini with the Goodreader app is the best PDF experience you'll get in a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:00 AM   #9
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He doesn't need a tablet. He makes the pdfs himself, customized to his eReader. I did the same when I was still using my Sony PRS 350, since it did not use hyphenation and the font size options weren't that good. Now I have an Aura and since it has hyphenation, I don't do this anymore. A nested ToC is something I miss from my Sony. Don't know why Kobo does not support it, if my very old Sony could do it...
Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 AM   #10
dickloraine
Guru

To the OP: I don't own a Kindle, but as far as I know, the customization options on it are limited. But you could change things like alignment, line-hight etc. with calibre. Either through a conversion or by editing the eBooks css-styles.

No eReader (or ereading software) has really print like typography. They all render books much like a browser renders web sites. So it builds page after page. I have no big problem with this, if I use hyphenation. I don't mind the occasional orphans etc. that much. So as a whole it is good enough and I value the possibility to use my own fonts and sizes more.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
No eReader (or ereading software) has really print like typography. They all render books much like a browser renders web sites. So it builds page after page. I have no big problem with this, if I use hyphenation. I don't mind the occasional orphans etc. that much. So as a whole it is good enough and I value the possibility to use my own fonts and sizes more.
Same here - "typography" is a bit general and means different things to different people. I like to be able to alter font weight on the device, to sideload my own fonts, to have fine control of things like margins and font size - so my Kobo is perfect for me (and the Kindle well and truly isn't). Mileage may vary.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Same here - "typography" is a bit general and means different things to different people. I like to be able to alter font weight on the device, to sideload my own fonts, to have fine control of things like margins and font size - so my Kobo is perfect for me (and the Kindle well and truly isn't). Mileage may vary.
It certainly does vary. Personally I find the formatting options offered by the Kindle to be entirely satisfactory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multi-level, pdf, typography