Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #2761
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Finished up the first of the Rivers of London books. I agree that it's well done. There was a one minute section roughly 3/4th's of the way through where the narrator changed voice slightly and there was a bit of a cough. I suspect an editor issue rather than a narrator though.

Moved on to Winter Warriors, the next in the Drenai series by David Gemmell.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #2762
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'm listening to the Terror by Dan Simmons on Audible and the narrator is excellent so far. On Chapter 7. It's a long one.
I quite agree. I thought Sellwood did an admirable job with the many accents. One of the best books I listened to last year.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #2763
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
I quite agree. I thought Sellwood did an admirable job with the many accents. One of the best books I listened to last year.
I've been meaning to pick up more Dan Simmons - Carrion Comfort was possibly the most genuinely creepy horror novel I've read, and I used to read quite a lot of horror. I've about hit my limit on Spellmonger and have some credits to burn, so maybe I'll grab The Terror. I didn't realize the TV series was based on a Simmons book.

ETA: Library had it! They had two editions, one read by John Lee (same reader I've been listing to for 3.5 Spellmonger books) and one with a cover that said Simon Vance, but a listing that said Tom Sellwood, so I guess I'll find out what I got when it downloads...

Last edited by taosaur; 11-24-2019 at 09:16 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #2764
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Are these read from books? I didn't know there were Perry Mason books. I have the tv series and the old radio series - my late SIL and I had literally nothing else in common except my brother and Perry Mason.
Oops I'm sorry, I didn't notice your response. looks like others answered. They are well written to me - they remind me of the old hard case crime /noirish mystery type of writing and dialogue style.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:28 AM   #2765
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
In the early Perry Mason books Mason was very hardboiled and not above breaking the law. Gardner toned him down in later books. The first book didn't even have a court room scene.
Apache
Yes, I'm still in the early books and am enjoying it. He comes across more than a usual lawyer, that's for sure. Sorry to hear that tones down later.
Advert
Old 11-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #2766
mrgrtt123
mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
I just started listening to Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell.
mrgrtt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #2767
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Listening to a memoir Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus by Sandi Toksvig. She is apparently famous in Britain, but I had not heard of her until browsing Audible for recent books. She's very funny!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #2768
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Listening to a memoir Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus by Sandi Toksvig. She is apparently famous in Britain, but I had not heard of her until browsing Audible for recent books. She's very funny!
She is also the co-presenter of The Great British Bake Off.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #2769
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Terror (was indeed the Tom Sellwood version) is proving a good pre-winter read, but not at all suitable for bedtime. I've been retreating to The Spellmonger's Honeymoon for my bedtime story.

I've also been listening to dharma talks during my morning routine the last 2-3 weeks, mostly Gil Fronsdale via the Audio Dharma app. Simmons' lurid caricatures make quite the contrast to lectures on loving kindness.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #2770
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Listening to The Devil in the White City by Eric Larsen, read by Scott Brick. About a quarter of the way in, and it's more about the "White City" (the 1893 Chicago World's Fair) than the "Devil" (H.H. Holmes, murdering bad guy) so far. Interesting story so far, regardless. I knew absolutely nothing about the Chicago World's Fair (other than it existed), so I'm enjoying learning about it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #2771
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've just finished A Kim Jong-Il Production: The Extraordinary True Story of a Kidnapped Filmmaker, His Star Actress, and a Young Dictator's Rise to Power by Paul Fischer, read by Steve Park. It's a fascinating window into Kim Jong-Il's repressive dictatorship of North Korea, as, a notorious cinemaphile, he tried to revive North Korea's moribund film industry by kidnapping South Korea's leading director and actress. It's both fascinating and horrifying, if a scootch too long for my tastes.

So for something mindless over the long holiday weekend, I've cued up an old reliable, the 20th Sharpe novel by Bernard Cornwall, Sharpe's Waterloo, read by Frederick Davidson. Tough luck, Napoleon! Sharpe is invincible.

Only one more Sharpe novel to go after this one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:15 AM   #2772
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just finished listening to Neogenesis, the 21st novel in Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden Universe, narrated by Eileen Stevens. This was a re-read in preparation for the release next Tuesday of their 22nd novel in the series, Accepting the Lance. I'll likely read that in eBook format, and then listen when the Audible version becomes available.

Next up, back with Payment in Blood, from Elizabeth George, read by Donada Peters.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #2773
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Recently finished A Shadow on the Lens, featuring a crime scene photographer detective in 1904 Wales. Lots of suspense with outstanding narration!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #2774
Paperbackstash
Wizard

I finished The Terror, well done story and audio. Listened to this on Audible.

After this on Scribd, I listened to The Poet by Michael Connelly. Narrated by Buck Schirner, he did a good job. The story lags a bit later but the first quarter is especially good. Now I'm listening, on Scribd, Duma Key by King. This story is so slow, zzzzzz. The narrator is okay, but it's just his easy going voice with the loosely plotting story would be a good sleeping nightcap.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #2775
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Hi James and welcome.

I listen to a mix of fiction and nonfiction. I find my retention of nonfiction isn't as good as when I read it, but since it's for enjoyment and there's no test on Monday, that doesn't matter. I still finish knowing more than when I started.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations