Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-20-2024, 04:50 AM   #1
nodymoha
nodymoha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5
How to update Kindle Previewer render engine?

Hi,

I am kinda new to creating books for kindle, especially KFX format.

First, I am trying ti write an Arabic ebook with special font that has special font character for each number.

However, I am having and issue with how kindle previewer render these characters.

As you can see in this picture.
Lift side: Calibre Reader
Right side: Kindle Previewer 3
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 11.24.40 AM.png
Views:	63
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	207022

Strangely, I have encountered the same issue in the software I am using to edit this book.

Lift side: Sigil 1.9
Right side: Sigil 2.0
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 11.37.20 AM.png
Views:	57
Size:	608.5 KB
ID:	207023

Does anyone know how can I fix this issue? Or force Kindle Previewer to use new renderer?

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-20-2024 at 06:52 AM.
nodymoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:12 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is it for your own use or to publish on Amazon via KDP?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM   #3
nodymoha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Is it for your own use or to publish on Amazon via KDP?
It is for me only.

I will not publish it in KDP.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:30 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It can be difficult to get embedded fonts to work properly on the Kindle platform. Sometimes the you need to select Publisher Font in the reader to see them.

You might receive more help if you provide an e-pub file that demonstrates the problem. Perhaps there is a problem with your html/css.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:22 PM   #5
nodymoha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Sometimes the you need to select Publisher Font in the reader to see them.
That what I have been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You might receive more help if you provide an e-pub file that demonstrates the problem. Perhaps there is a problem with your html/css.
I have uploaded the demo I have used in the main post.

Already tried to change many css attributes but none of them worked.

What confuse me more is that it doesn't work with Sigil 1.9 but it works with Sigil 2.0.
So, what change between these two version that allowed these characters to be displayed correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: epub uthmanic_font_error.epub (147.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 10:05 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I see the same rendering issue in the Kindle Previewer. I also tried converting it to KFX and viewing it using the Kindle for iOS app and that produced the same results as the Kindle Previewer.

From what I can tell the numeric glyphs in your font have some sort of attribute that indicates they are to be combined into a single glyph when rendered. This is probably something that just isn't supported properly in KFX. I don't have any suggestions of how you might make it work.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:58 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The difference between Sigil 1.9 and Sigil 2.0 is likely due to the different QT version using and how it handles combining glyphs.

Since the Uthman font does seem to have the characters you want in the Arabic Presentation area ( specifically U+FC00 to U+FD1D and U+FD50 to U+FD7D ), it might be worth trying to use those glyphs directly. I generated the hex font names and dumped them into your test epub. Oddly, when I did a mend and prettify, the glyphs displayed in the Sigil code view do not match those glyphs when seen in Preview but do have some semblance to the components of the glyph shown in FontForges Glyph Info => Components.
Attached Files
File Type: epub uthmanic_modded.epub (148.6 KB, 35 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:18 AM   #8
nodymoha

Thank you so much jhowell for your effort in helping me with this problem.

Thank you so much DNSB for this great table of characters.
I wonder how did you get the unicode for these glyphs because I was trying to get them but the font editor I am using says no unicode number for any of these glyphs.

I guess now I will write another python code to replace the numbers by its corresponding glyphs unicode.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:22 AM   #9
nodymoha

Thank you jhowell for yor efforts in helping me with this problem.

Thank you DNSB for your great solution.
I wonder how did you get the unicode for these glyphs.
Cause I was trying to find the unicode for these glyphs but my software says there are no unicode number for any of the glyphs.

Now, I guess I will use DNSB modified epub as a reference for the glyphs and replace these glyphs manually with its corresponding unicode number.

Last edited by nodymoha; 03-22-2024 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:59 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodymoha View Post
Thank you so much jhowell for your effort in helping me with this problem.

Thank you so much DNSB for this great table of characters.
I wonder how did you get the unicode for these glyphs because I was trying to get them but the font editor I am using says no unicode number for any of these glyphs.

I guess now I will write another python code to replace the numbers by its corresponding glyphs unicode.
I used an open source project called FontForge to inspect the font. Once I knew where the fonts lived, I generated a list of the hex codes with the &#x prefix and ; suffix appended (stupid repetitive work is why computers were invented. ).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 10:09 PM   #11
nodymoha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I used an open source project called FontForge to inspect the font. Once I knew where the fonts lived,
I guess I might try Font Forge in my coming projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I generated a list of the hex codes with the &#x prefix and ; suffix appended (stupid repetitive work is why computers were invented. ).
Exactly, that's why I wrote a simple script to replace these characters in 100+ pages.

Programming is a gift that everyone should have it.