Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 05:38 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by philja View Post
If I understand correctly, I need to edit the sigil file in /usr/local/bin/. I'd appreciate a description of what I need to do to change that file.
And here I was hoping you'd be the first to try my Sigil Python AppImage. Which would mean you wouldn't need to edit any scripts (or install PyPi modules to your user directory)

The gist is that /usr/local/bin/sigil is a bash script that needs to be edited with a text editor. You'll need root permissions to edit it.

Basically you need to prevent the system Qt6 location (represented by the QTLIB_DIR variable) from being prepended to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.

I myself would do that by removing :QTLIB_DIR from line 10 and line 12 of that script (note the colon at the beginning of the substring to be removed).

I'm not really happy with this solution as the script will be overwritten each time Sigil gets built then installed. But it might be the easiest solution for now.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:11 AM   #62
philja
Zealot
philja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry DiapDealer, I didn't see this reply earlier. I didn't notice that the thread had now progressed to page 5 !! My bad.

I'll gladly have a go with your Sigil Python AppImage.
philja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #63
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And here I was hoping you'd be the first to try my Sigil Python AppImage. Which would mean you wouldn't need to edit any scripts (or install PyPi modules to your user directory)
Well, it took a bit of time because domestic issues intervened.

I downloaded sigil-qt6-python3.11_x86_64.AppImage, set it to 'executable' and then used Sigil's plugin manager to set the path to the python interpreter to that file.

The wrapper script in /usr/local/bin/sigil remained in its original state with :

Code:
QTLIB_DIR="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"
which previously prevented the testplugin from finding PySide6 etc.

With the new path to your AppImage set in the plugin manager, I ran the testplugin to a successful completion with a freshly started Sigil basic template page -

"Success - All Tests of Plugin Operations Passed"

Code:
Verifying proper Python packages are available
  Checking GUI modules
    Python Package: PySide6 (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/PySide6/QtWidgets.abi3.so) Found
    Python Package: PySide6 QtWebEngineWidgets (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/PySide6/QtWebEngineWidgets.abi3.so) Found
    Python Package: tkinter (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/tkinter/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: PIL (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: cssselect (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/cssselect/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: css-parser (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/css_parser/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: html5lib (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/html5lib/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: lxml (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/lxml/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: regex (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/regex/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: chardet (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/chardet/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: six (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/six.py) Found
  Python Package: dulwich (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/dulwich/__init__.py) Found
  Python Package: urllib3 (/tmp/.mount_sigil-axh8N2/opt/python3.11/lib/python3.11/site-packages/urllib3/__init__.py) Found
Conclusion, no need to edit the /usr/local/bin/sigil file. Sigil 2.0.2 now runs ok with Qt6
Old 11-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for trying it! Happy to see it works as expected. My plan was to avoid users needing to install a bunch of extra stuff in their system python. Thoughts? Is it easy enough to be useful?
Old 11-18-2023, 12:56 PM   #65
philja
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My plan was to avoid users needing to install a bunch of extra stuff in their system python. Thoughts? Is it easy enough to be useful?
It was certainly very easy to download the AppImage from the link you provided a few posts back. If that simple download means we could avoid all the rest of the hassle covered in this thread with trying to locate and install the relevant Qt6 modules needed to make Sigil work with Qt6 in Linux, then it'll prove to be a little miracle.

I did wonder where to put it but then realised that it didn't matter as far as Sigil was concerned because the path was going to be set manually in the plugin manager. So for my convenience, I placed it in the sub-directory of /Downloads/ where I keep any Sigil plugin zip files.

Setting it to executable might be a bit tricky for some Linux users.

Maybe when you decide how to issue it, you'll add a few notes and a hint to run the testplugin to check if the PySide6 stuff is located.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

This is strictly for use as the Sigil plugin interpreter and its environment. It won't replace any of the Sigil Qt6 build requirements, unfortunately. Sigil has some basic Embedded Python needs that will still use the system Python. All necessary modules are available via the normal package management system. The Python Plugin Framework needs some extra pieces that might not be available via the normal distro package management system.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:10 PM   #67
philja
Zealot

Using Sigil with your AppImage made my problem with the display of some (but not all) gif images inside the InsertImageSVG plugin's dialog go away.

I couldn't believe it so I reversed and went back to using the /usr/bin/python3 path to the interpreter with the edit to /usr/local/bin/sigil wrapper script to remove the QTLIB_DIR statement. This made the problem with gif display come back.

I found that I could go back and forth between these two configurations and make the display issue disappear or reappear in a systematic fashion.

see : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...21#post4373721

So there's something in your AppImage that was missing or defective in the other setup configuration. How about that?