Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #1
jwes
Enthusiast
jwes began at the beginning.

Device: none
Odd regex problem

I wanted to change chapter numbers to title case, e.g. TWENTY to Twenty or TWENTY-THREE to Twenty-Three. I came up with these patterns
Find:
Code:
([\p{Lu}])([\p{Lu}]+)((-)([\p{Lu}])([\p{Lu}]*))?
Replace:
Code:
\1\L\2\4\5\L\6
It works for TWENTY, but it turns TWENTY-THREE to Twenty-three. As an experiment, I put '|'s in the replace string like this:
Code:
\1|\L\2|\4|\5|\L\6
and I got
Code:
T|wenty|-|t|hree
, so I can see it is being split correctly, but the T in three is being lowercased. Any explanations why?
jwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 08:32 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No idea from a technical perspective, but "Twenty-three" is the de-facto standard for Chapter numbers expressed in words - hyphenated sentence case.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:18 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You need to use an \E to terminate an \L or \U otherwise they'll just keep going. So I would suggest an \E immediately after the capture group that represents the '-' in the replace expression (or before it).

\1\L\2\E\4\5\L\6

Or:

\1\L\2\4\E\5\L\6

I'm not at a computer where I can test the replace expression exactly.

I also think you don't need the brackets [] around each individual \p{Lu} instance.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-16-2023 at 09:29 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:41 AM   #4
jwes
Enthusiast
jwes began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You need to use an \E to terminate an \L or \U otherwise they'll just keep going. So I would suggest an \E immediately after the capture group that represents the '-' in the replace expression (or before it).

\1\L\2\E\4\5\L\6

Or:

\1\L\2\4\E\5\L\6

I'm not at a computer where I can test the replace expression exactly.

I also think you don't need the brackets [] around each individual \p{Lu} instance.
Thank you, that fixed it. Is there documention about \L, \U, and \E? I didn't see it in the user guide or scanning through the links.
jwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:27 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwes View Post
Thank you, that fixed it. Is there documention about \L, \U, and \E? I didn't see it in the user guide or scanning through the links.
In our user guide? I doubt it. We only give the briefest of intros to regex. But I'm sure it's in any thorough documentation for the PCRE flavor of regex.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwes View Post
You might want to try Perl-compatible Regular Expressions (PCRE) for the documentation and Regex101 for as the page says, build, test and debug regex which is especially handy since it allows you to play with multiple flavours of RegEx.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote