Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's the encoding of the ini files that changed. Qt6 caused us to have to move to utf-8 encoded ini files (rather than the previous ascii with escaped unicode chars).

Clips and saved searches can be exported/imported. I believe the user is looking for a way to export from Qt6 Sigil in a way that can be imported into Qt5 Sigil. I could be mistaken though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-19-2023 at 12:57 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:12 PM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
When did Qt6 default to utf-8 for an ini file? I did not see that anywhere?

And going backwards using Qt6 ini files from Sigil-2.x to Sigil 1.x versions is not going to work without some extra python decoding and encoding software being written.

Going from Qt5 Sigil-1.x ini files to Qt6 Sigil-2.x files should be automatic when Sigil is first started and no Qt6 ini files are found.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-19-2023 at 03:57 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
When did Qt6 default to utf-8 for an ini file? I did not see that anywhere?
I thought the change you made to create/copy the new ini files was because of the Qt6 change to default to utf-8. Was I wrong?

Check out the comment here: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil.../main.cpp#L359 in commit: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...b5644d73727b98

If not for the escaped codepoints from old inis being automatically converted to their utf-8 char counterparts by Qt6, what was it about them that were not backward compatible?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-19-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought we did it just to be safe! Now I don't remember. I am getting old!

Update:

You are right. Found this in qsetting.cpp history on qtbase on github.

https://github.com/qt/qtbase/commit/...564d07e02a90b7

So to convert a Qt6 ini file to Qt5 we must read it as utf-8 and then percent encode..

Last edited by KevinH; 10-19-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:26 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It was a long time ago. We've been testing Sigil with Qt6 for quite a long time now.

For the record: I'm not really sold on it (export to Qt5 sigil) being a feature we need to incorporate into Sigil. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy! Those that can update to the latest Sigil--should (in my opinion). And I'm not nuts about adding a feature to the latest Sigil just to make it possible to export clips and saved searches for use with the unsupported Windows 7 versions of Sigil.

Perhaps an external tool/script to downgrade a Qt6 INI?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-19-2023 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:59 AM   #21
jugaor
Enthusiast
jugaor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10Gen / Kobo Aura HD / Nook STR
Hi. Sorry for not being clearer earlier (English is not my native language).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Clips and saved searches can be exported/imported. I believe the user is looking for a way to export from Qt6 Sigil in a way that can be imported into Qt5 Sigil. I could be mistaken though.
Exactly this.
Sigil QT5 exports an .ini file (ANSI/escaped) > Sigil QT6 imports it:
No problems.

Sigil QT6 exports an .ini file (UTF-8) > Sigil QT5 imports it:
Special characters end up scrambled.

Quote:
For the record: I'm not really sold on it (export to Qt5 sigil) being a feature we need to incorporate into Sigil. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy! Those that can update to the latest Sigil--should (in my opinion). And I'm not nuts about adding a feature to the latest Sigil just to make it possible to export clips and saved searches for use with the unsupported Windows 7 versions of Sigil.
Please reconsider. It's necessary in a multi-collaborator environment: some people have old, non-upgradable equipment

We tried to solve it but the online converters we found are somewhat limited:
For example, the Spanish word "añadir" used to be stored in QT5 as "a\xf1\x61\x64ir". Online converters just change it to "a\u00f1adir". "\u00"/"\u" could easily be changed to "\x"… but when importing QT5 doesn't know where the unicode chars end and imports them all wrong.

Quote:
Perhaps an external tool/script to downgrade a Qt6 INI?
... as a part of the Sigil package?
Fair enough!

Thank you very much for your answers!
jugaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I believe that Qt5 uses escaped Latin-1 character encoding (ISO-8859-1) not utf-8.
So to read it convert each \xXX to a byte with hex value XX and interpret it as the iso-8859-1 character it represents.

I have no idea what it does when there is no iso-8859-1 character equivalent.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-20-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:41 AM   #23
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
For the Windows installer, is there a command line argument to specify the destination directory?
In general: What is the complete list of arguments of the Windows installer? and where I can found it?

Context: I try to install Sigil by Chocolatey, but the default location used is not the one I want. I can pass additionnal argument but I absolutly no idea how to found the list of all install args.

Thanks
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 06:30 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I don't really use the installer from the command line on Windows. I don't even know if want you want to do is possible or not. But the command-line parameters available for InnoSetup (which is what sigil uses to create its Windows installer) is here: https://jrsoftware.org/ishelp/index....c=setupcmdline

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #25
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.un_pogaz understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo
Ok, that work.

/DIR="x:\dirname"

Thanks
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote