Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-18-2023, 05:04 PM   #1
Paredon
Paredon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Adding Images Crashes Sigil

I'm using Sigil 2.0.1 on a Mac. When I choose File > Add > Existing Files, then click on the name of an image, Sigil crashes. When the problem first started, I could reopen Sigil, and I could then add images. However, if I type in new text and hit save, then the bug reappears and it once again crashes when I try to import images.

Anyway, my workaround no longer works. Now, if I reopen Sigil and try to import an image, it just crashes.

I found an older thread (2021?) discussing this same problem. However, I couldn't implement the fix. I can't find the files they referred to. Is there a simple fix for this ongoing bug, or should I just switch to Calibre?

Thanks.
Paredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #2
Paredon

P.S. Someone commented on alternate ways of importing images. Can someone tell me how to do that?
Old 10-18-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Does it also crash if you right click on Images in the Book Browser windows and Add existing files from there? On my Windows 11 x64 computer and in a SUSE Tumbleweed VM, I can add an image from either menu without a crash.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:28 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This is Qt bug with MacOS Accessibility software and tools. If you can disable Mac Accessibility features and tools, Sigil/Qt will not crash. If not, and if you have an arm64 based mac (M1, M2, etc) try the special test build we made that has a number of Qt Accessibility bug fixes in it.

These fixes will appear in the next Release of Sigil.

See

https://github.com/kevinhendricks/Bu...OnMac/releases

And grab and unpack

Sigil.app-testbuild2-Mac-arm64.tar.xz

The crashes should now be gone as this version.

If you have an intel x86_64 mac, I just created:

Sigil.app-testbuild3-Mac_x86_64.tar.xz

that should fix your problems until the next release comes out.

You can grab it from the same place as the testbuild2 arm64 build on my github site.

If these builds for any reason still crash, please let me know asap, as we want to get all crashes fixed before the next release.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-18-2023 at 07:24 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 09:31 PM   #5
Paredon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does it also crash if you right click on Images in the Book Browser windows and Add existing files from there? On my Windows 11 x64 computer and in a SUSE Tumbleweed VM, I can add an image from either menu without a crash.
Yes, I tried that with the same results. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:36 PM   #6
Paredon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
This is Qt bug with MacOS Accessibility software and tools.
I upgraded to a Mac to escape Microsoft's countless bugs, and now my Mac is getting buggy.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

Also, I think I answered my second question . . . If you drag an epub onto an eCanCrusher icon, it will unpack it. You can then open a folder and add or delete files. If you drag the folder back onto the eCanCrusher icon, I believe it transforms it back into an epub. I can't remember if the text files are in the proper order, though. I'll try it out when I get home.

P.S. I thought maybe it was time to upgrade to a commercial epub software program, but I couldn't find any that I can stand. InDesign appears to be top of the line, but the learning curve is way over my head - I just don't have enough free time. Sigil is cool because it's so basic - I like being able to work in HTML mode.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:13 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It is not your mac. It is Qt's bug with Mac Accessibility API they recently tried to add support for in Qt 6.5.0 but bugs exist in Qt until their just released Qt 6.5.3. Sigil 2.0.1 uses Qt 6.5.2 so it still has some issues. The testbuilds I posted should no longer have these issues.

But given these are Accessibility related, very few mac people have them enabled or use third party Accessibility software so Qt did not receive many bug reports. Our upcoming Sigil 2.0.2 release will fix all of these issues by using Qt 6.5.3.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-18-2023 at 10:17 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 12:34 AM   #8
Paredon

I downloaded Sigil.app-testbuild3-Mac_x86_64.tar.xz and it works fine now.

Thanks!