Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-16-2023, 11:19 AM   #91
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 05:05 PM   #92
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Unfortunately, the workaround only works when using the Edit->Paste menu as using the shortcuts to paste uses a direct path to the QWebEngineView/Page that I can not intercept to add in the workaround code needed.

Hopefully, Qt will create an official fix for this that works on all ways of doing a paste.
No need for a keyboard shortcut on Windows, the accelerator key sequences Alt+EP and AltE↓↓↓↓ pop the "Clipboard contains HTML formatting" dialogue. I assume the dialogue box would be absent in a workaround release.

I suspect Alt+E sequences would work on most Linuxes too.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:35 PM   #93
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The popup is needed. It is there for people who want to paste and match style instead of a full styled paste. If html is present, the user should always be given the option so they do not force formatting on themselves with a paste.

Since PageEdit does not support easily adding or changing css, being able to Paste and Match style is important.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 07:56 PM   #94
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The popup is needed. It is there for people who want to paste and match style instead of a full styled paste. If html is present, the user should always be given the option so they do not force formatting on themselves with a paste.

Since PageEdit does not support easily adding or changing css, being able to Paste and Match style is important.
Gotcha.

I've not used Edit->Paste before now. I mistakenly assumed the dialogue box was related to this specific issue… but now I see (in PE 2.0.0) that it's not.

I use PE as tool when I'm proofreading (copy editing) content… I would have used Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to move and copy text perhaps.

BR
Old 10-16-2023, 09:31 PM   #95
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

which is fine if you do not want to paste and match style, but the normal paste shortcut does not allow me to intercept it since it is an internal default QWebEnginePage WebAction.
Old 10-17-2023, 03:54 AM   #96
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
which is fine if you do not want to paste and match style, but the normal paste shortcut does not allow me to intercept it since it is an internal default QWebEnginePage WebAction.
You probably know all this.

If I cut or copy styled text with Ctrl+X or Ctrl+C in PageEdit, I can paste it elsewhere into PageEdit with Ctrl+V with no popup but the styling is retained - in both 2.0.0 and 2.0.2

The only time I've found that I need to use Alt+EP, and then the popup (in PE 2.0.2), is to paste styled text that I cut/copied from the Normal tab of the calibre Rich Text column edit widget - I don't need to use it if I copy the same styled text from calibre's Book Detail panel (even in PE 2.0.0), viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-17 183400.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	204308

So, it's terribly, terribly niche… over the fence into the long paddock… out of the park and over the bridge… and tucked away in a wee cranny case.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-17-2023 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:36 AM   #97
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, PageEdit as a source for copying to the clipboard always adds the context (html and body tags) when putting it on the clipboard under Windows, and that should work anyplace. Yes Ctrl+v paste never gets a popup since we can not intercept it to ask if you want to Paste and Match Style.

I did not know only one place in calibre was not adding the context when copying to the clipboard. Is Kovid the author of that place or is this a plugin?

It seems all Windows apps (except one place in Calibre) add the context to the clipboard but only a couple require that context for the paste to be successful.

My bug report to QtWebEngine is about the ability to paste without full context since that is technically allowed by the win32 cf_html spec.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:11 AM   #98
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did not know only one place in calibre was not adding the context when copying to the clipboard. Is Kovid the author of that place or is this a plugin?
The Annotations plugin fetches them from the connected device and copies them to the metadata panel of the respective book in the library (if chosen). It has been maintained by David Forrester (Davidfor).
Old 10-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #99
KevinH
Sigil Developer

But the copy to the clipboard happens in calibre's metadata panel, correct?
Old 10-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #100
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, and there, everything was alright. The trouble begann when I copied it from there to PageEdit.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:43 PM   #101
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, PageEdit as a source for copying to the clipboard always adds the context (html and body tags) when putting it on the clipboard under Windows, and that should work anyplace. Yes Ctrl+v paste never gets a popup since we can not intercept it to ask if you want to Paste and Match Style.

Calibre's Rich Text/Long Text/Comments editor widget is in the calibre baseline, it has been there forever. It's primary usage is editing Comments which is the label calibre uses for the dc:description element.

Copying content from an individual rich text 'field' in the Book details panel (the place that does interop with PE) is awkward. I'll see if I can convince Kovid/chaley to add a Copy content option to the Copy context menu flyout.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-18 081018.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	204319

As you can see it's already got most everything else

That would allow users to copy the content without having to resort to the use of nested modal dialogues (where's the baleful glare emoji).

BR
Old 10-17-2023, 05:52 PM   #102
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
The Annotations plugin fetches them from the connected device and copies them to the metadata panel of the respective book in the library (if chosen). It has been maintained by David Forrester (Davidfor).
Can you confirm that your Annotations column definition is similar to this:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-18 084811.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	204320

Most importantly the Column type.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-17-2023 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #103
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Calibre's Rich text editor is a discrete module that is available in several places, including the Metadata Editor, Book list cells (F2), and the Notes viewer in the JobSpy plugin.

BR
Old 10-18-2023, 01:30 AM   #104
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
. . .

I'll see if I can convince Kovid/chaley to add a Copy content option to the Copy context menu flyout.
See ==>> Bugs calibre:#2039628 - “[Enhancement] Missing Copy->The long text contents...”

BR