Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Thanks, Travger. I'll look at that.

And yes, I'm anal with regard to organisation. I don't want 7 different spellings for the same author or publisher, or a book that belongs to 10 genres.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I know Calibre can do it using it's database, but I want it to be in the EPUB itself. That way, I never have to set anything in Calibre, or, should it come to that, any other ebook organizer in the future.

In that regard, we differ Things like graphical chapter headings, dropcaps, maps, and that sort of stuff make an eboook an alternative to a normal book. I detest it when the publisher tries to do funny things with the normal text (such as locking font choices, setting small fonts for body text and such), but I like the extra's such as the dropcaps and so on.

I have no qualms about maps and covers that are 500 kB in size. Actually, if I deem a map or cover too small or not good enough in quality, I'll find a bigger version on Google and replace it. Because I never put more than a few books onto the reader, so space is no problem. Therefore I don't compress graphics.
The (Calibre) Modify EPUB PI will update many things (under user control) without 'converting' again.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I import them to Calibre. . .

That's pretty much it. I don't strip DRM, don't use keywords, don't click on the stars.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
jforner
jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jforner knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Is it completely essential to strip DRM?
I just drag my entire library to Readmill, and all the books sync over to my iPhone/iPad without messy cables and Calibre and all that.

It's rather good.

Last edited by dreams; 02-28-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: please do not use shortened URL's - moderator
jforner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
Absolutely not.

But I do it anyway.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jforner View Post
To me it is, yes. Everyone else is free to make up their own minds about it of course. Is using Readmill completely essential?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I strip DRM because I don't know what device I will have in 10 years time. I don't know which file formats will be in vogue[*] and which will no longer be supported by proprietary firmwares. But I do know that my DRM-free files will be accessible. Because they are right now with programs that are open source.
[*]Probably still waiting for epub 3.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I strip DRM because I don't know what device I will have in 10 years time. I don't know which file formats will be in vogue[*] and which will no longer be supported by proprietary firmwares. But I do know that my DRM-free files will be accessible. Because they are right now with programs that are open source.
Perfect explanation why you *should* strip DRM as soon as you can.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #24
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
travger - you can disable the downloading of tags in Calibre.

Preferences - sharing - Metadata download

on the right hand side of the page is a section for metadata fields you can check/uncheck
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #25
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
After someone asks you to play a certain CD or show you a certain picture, and you know you have it on your computer but are unable to find it, you'll start to know what "workflow" and "organization" mean.
I have to agree. I've just got on an automation/database driven kick for all my media because I'm sick and tired of doing my computers job. It's vastly better at automatically handling huge amounts of data, what with copious amounts of machine-readable metadata, so why should I have to maintain it by hand?

Finding the right tools is not so easy though.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #26
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
travger - you can disable the downloading of tags in Calibre.

Preferences - sharing - Metadata download

on the right hand side of the page is a section for metadata fields you can check/uncheck
I know, but I do want some of them. So I chose to limit the amount. And it works only with downloading metadata, not if the tags are already in the file I'm adding.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote