Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't have Spotify, but I do pay for both Pandora and Apple Music. Apple Music is a big money maker for Apple.
Quote:
The key words in that story are estimates and models, i.e. the writer doesn't know the actual numbers but he guesses at what he thinks they are and plugs that into his spreadsheet. Anyone who follows this sort of stuff knows how the game is played. It's the same way various analyst guess at iPhone sales (since Apple doesn't release those numbers), they talk to some people who might work for companies who sell parts to Apple, plug those rumors into spreadsheets and produce WAG numbers. Over the years, those estimates seem to be wildly off, based on earning calls, but they are numbers and can drive stock buys and pull backs.

I frequently wonder at why people latch on to guesses that people who actually know the numbers call off by several magnitudes and take those guesses as gospel. I guess it's just human nature to latch on to something in the face of uncertainly even if it's wrong.
Could you provide a link for your first statement (Apple Music is a big money maker) so we can see the actual numbers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you provide a link for your first statement (Apple Music is a big money maker) so we can see the actual numbers?
I take it that you haven't actually read the content of my posts. Apple, like many companies, doesn't release the actual numbers, so there is no link to the actual numbers. If you like, I can find a link to a web site where some guy puts some WAG speculation about the numbers though.

The statement that Apple Music is a big money maker came from an Apple earnings call. It was widely reported.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/appl...sults-3581769/
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I take it that you haven't actually read the content of my posts. Apple, like many companies, doesn't release the actual numbers, so there is no link to the actual numbers. If you like, I can find a link to a web site where some guy puts some WAG speculation about the numbers though.

The statement that Apple Music is a big money maker came from an Apple earnings call. It was widely reported.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/appl...sults-3581769/
I was just curious if your original statement was a fact, or an opinion. Your original post looked like you were stating some fact.

Quote:
I don't have Spotify, but I do pay for both Pandora and Apple Music. Apple Music is a big money maker for Apple.
Maybe qualify your statement a little more next time so people know where you are coming from.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was just curious if your original statement was a fact, or an opinion. Your original post looked like you were stating some fact.

Maybe qualify your statement a little more next time so people know where you are coming from.
It's fact from the stand point that is what Apple said. If you would prefer to believe some blogger's WAG rather than what the company said in an earnings call (and there are legal sanctions for making misleading statements in an earnings call) then be my guest.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's fact from the stand point that is what Apple said. If you would prefer to believe some blogger's WAG rather than what the company said in an earnings call (and there are legal sanctions for making misleading statements in an earnings call) then be my guest.
From your link, the statement I see referring to your "big money maker" is:

Quote:
Finally, Apple made $9.981 billion in service revenue. That's money made from the Apple Music, iCloud subscriptions and so on. This was up 17% year-on-year.
So they may be making big money, but as to wether how much of that is profit for Apple Music would be a WAG?
Advert
Old 11-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From your link, the statement I see referring to your "big money maker" is:

So they may be making big money, but as to wether how much of that is profit for Apple Music would be a WAG?
Sigh, I hate it when someone goes into internet gotcha game mode.

Services is a big money maker for Apple and what they are hanging their hat on. Like Amazon, their services are interconnected. Apple Music is one of those services. Apple Music has been described as a big growth for Apple in many places. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your preferred narrative.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sigh, I hate it when someone goes into internet gotcha game mode.

Services is a big money maker for Apple and what they are hanging their hat on. Like Amazon, their services are interconnected. Apple Music is one of those services. Apple Music has been described as a big growth for Apple in many places. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit your preferred narrative.
Why so hostile? I don't have a narritive, I just want to know why/what you consider it a "big money maker"?
Old 11-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Why so hostile? I don't have a narritive, I just want to know why/what you consider it a "big money maker"?
Because you have played the internet gotcha game with me in the past. I'm simply not interested in feeding into that.

Apple music and Spotify are not a one to one comparison. They have very different business models. Apple says that Apple music is a big money maker. I'm fine with that.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Because you have played the internet gotcha game with me in the past. I'm simply not interested in feeding into that.

Apple music and Spotify are not a one to one comparison. They have very different business models. Apple says that Apple music is a big money maker. I'm fine with that.
Ok. Thank you for bearing with me.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ic-56-million/

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...subscribers-2/

Confidential sources say Apple Music has 56 million subscribers more than Spotify has in US and Canada.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #26
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ic-56-million/

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...subscribers-2/

Confidential sources say Apple Music has 56 million subscribers more than Spotify has in US and Canada.
All you need to know from first article is this:

Quote:
Nevertheless, Apple will always have one major advantage over Spotify. The company doesn’t need streaming to remain profitable.

As Tim Cook explained in an interview earlier this year,

Quote:
“[We’re] not in it for the money.”
Not yet in it for the money until they grabbed all marketshare. Eventually it will be a walk on thin ice to avoid antitrust.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
All you need to know from first article is this:

Not yet in it for the money until they grabbed all marketshare. Eventually it will be a walk on thin ice to avoid antitrust.
That's true of all the big tech firms (Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook). Anti-Trust has been redefined as any large corporation with deep pockets that politicians think they can extract money from.

Apple is likely the least close to Anti-trust in the original idea of the term, in that they don't have a huge share of any broad market. They go after profit margin over market share. What Apple is really trying to do is establish an eco-system that their customers never have to step out of. It can be pretty effective.