Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Sassipo
Enthusiast
Sassipo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, Ipad, Ipad mini, Kobo Clara HD
Frozen Nook simple touch

My Nook is frozen and I've tried everything....It is frozen with the picture of the older couple that comes on it....How do I remove the battery and then what do I do to get it to start back up?
Sassipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassipo View Post
My Nook is frozen and I've tried everything....It is frozen with the picture of the older couple that comes on it....How do I remove the battery and then what do I do to get it to start back up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmP9uv_mOtE

https://www.amazon.com/nook-simple-t...ouch%20battery

If you are sure it is just the battery then replace it, charge it then power up as normal.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:32 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
One thing that can lock up the simple touch is dirt in the corners . Use a Q-tip that's been lightly dampened and go around the inner edges a few times that helps . It worked for mine twice.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
One thing that can lock up the simple touch is dirt in the corners . Use a Q-tip that's been lightly dampened and go around the inner edges a few times that helps . It worked for mine twice.
I'll second that - cleaning the screen worked on a second hand Nook STR I bought - not that it looked dirty
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Anyone else wish they could get a Nook ST, with the older-style Nook software and SD card slot, but with a carta 300 PPI screen and maybe waterproofing?

I thought the Glowlight 3 would be that, and it sorta is. But the software isn't as nice as it used to be (I'm not a fan of the newer home screen and it's very sluggish) and I liked the design of the ST more than I do the 3.

I've moved on, to the Kobo Aura and Glowlight Plus (and the 3) but I still miss the design of the Nook ST.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Thank you! I’m not sure it’s the battery but it is frozen and I’ve tried holding down the he buttons, both the power and then the power and the home and it doesn’t turn off or anything.....
Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thank you! I’m not sure it’s the battery but it is frozen and I’ve tried holding down the he buttons, both the power and then the power and the home and it doesn’t turn off or anything.....
One problem is that since the display is bistable, you won't see any difference on the screen until it is written to. It takes power to write to the screen but no power to keep the image on the screen once it is written.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Hi David! I don't know what that means.....right now I am trying to charge it, the charging light is green but it is still stuck at the picture,,,,on the bottom it says "Press the nook button to wake up your Nook"...nothing happens....I have other readers however I just love this one.....I am going to try to order the battery and hope I am not throwing away $30 bucks....Ive tried cleaning with a q-tio as suggested but no dice.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hi David! I don't know what that means...
Sorry, what I meant is that if I take an eInk ereader and pull the battery out, whatever was on the screen will remain on the screen. Unlike LCD screens which require continuous power, an eInk screen only needs power to change the display. Perhaps think of a series of discs with one black side and one white side sitting on a table. You flip the discs so the white and black sides make a picture and the picture will remain until you flip them again.

This makes it harder to distinguish a battery issue from a frozen and/or dead mainboard. I generally start by opening the ereader and disconnecting the battery either by--carefully--pulling the battery connector or in one case, cutting one of the battery leads. While it is disconnected, I'll check the battery voltage with a multimeter. If it looks good, I'll plug it back in and hope that removing power from the mainboard was enough to cold reset it.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-09-2018 at 09:51 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Hi David! I don't know what that means.....right now I am trying to charge it, the charging light is green but it is still stuck at the picture,,,,on the bottom it says "Press the nook button to wake up your Nook"...nothing happens....I have other readers however I just love this one.....I am going to try to order the battery and hope I am not throwing away $30 bucks....Ive tried cleaning with a q-tio as suggested but no dice.
Before doing anything try this:

Quote:
1. Press and hold the power button** until the unit flashes and then restarts.
2. This can take from 20 seconds to 1 minute sometimes.

**button on the back of the nook
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Hi Bernie! Thank you! I tried that and it still just has the picture on the screen..... it doesn’t turn off at all.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Hi David! I ordered and just received a battery but I will try that first.... thank you!
Old 01-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
Sassipo
Enthusiast

Update! I replaced the battery and it works perfectly again!!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Update! I replaced the battery and it works perfectly again!!!!
Ah, good. Glad to hear it!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote