Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
tantalus
tantalus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Moving to Kindle

Hi,
Used Kindle for many years alongside Calibre, it is certainly the best when converting books. Recently I noticed that books I had added were not appearing although Calibre said they were on my Kindle Fire. Looked and found them in documents and then through various sources altered my settings so that they would go to books and not Docs. Unfortunately some of them are still going into the docs file and I cannot seem to change this.
Any help on this subject would be most helpful to me so if you have alternative settings to mine please let me know.
Under output options in preferences I have removed the personal doc tag and replaced it with [EBOK] and have MOBI file type set to both. No other chnges to this page.

Tantalus
tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
How are you placing the books on the device? Usb or via send to kindle or via the calibre companion app?
Have you tried with azw format via a calibre transfer and or a calibre companion transfer?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I second AZW3 format (if you can use USB or CC). It is close to what you got with EPUB.

I suspect you are mailing it, and AZW3 is not an option, nor where it goes.
Only Amazon sells 'Books'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
tantalus

Moving to Kindle

Hi,
Sorry I have not replied before now but I have been away for a while. I use Calibre and transfer all of my books from there by USB direct connection through my PC. I am still having problems and have tried converting two books and to AZW3 format and then sent them to my Kindle Fire and they both ended up in documents. Any thoughts? Is it my settings or what I am at my wits end with this.

Tantalus
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalus View Post
Hi,
Sorry I have not replied before now but I have been away for a while. I use Calibre and transfer all of my books from there by USB direct connection through my PC. I am still having problems and have tried converting two books and to AZW3 format and then sent them to my Kindle Fire and they both ended up in documents. Any thoughts? Is it my settings or what I am at my wits end with this.

Tantalus
well at least they got there

1. try installing calibre companion - there is a free demo/trials version and see how that route works

2. it will help if you set out the complete, detailed, workflow that delivered the AZW as a document i.e. where did you get the book from and in what format, how did you get it into calibre.... are you then using send to device in calibre menu options ?

3. it may be a calibre setting - you could re do a conversion after switching to / forcing calibre default settings to be used ans see if that makes any difference

4. also, it is a long time since I did the set up calibre to work with a new device process, but is there an option to let calibre manage the device and are you using that? AFAIK a book has to be placed in the device's books folder to appear as a book but calibre should know and take care of that. If you have a file manager on the kindle fire, can you look to see what folder the books have been placed in?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #6
tantalus

Moving to Kindle

Got fed up with all of this when I moved some books from my computer to the Kindle Fire as I was going away to the Lake District for a week. They all moved perfectly but when I tried to open them in the apartment it said that they were DRM protected and I knew that they were not. Tried another and suddenly the whole lot disappeared off the Kindle and I had no books. Luckily I had one or two on my IPAD so I was OK.
Got home uninstalled Calibre and then cleaned up the registry so there were no traces of Calibre left on my computer. Re-Installed Calibre, set it for AZW3 output and have had no problems at all since. Fingers crossed.

Tantalus
Old 11-23-2018, 05:05 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

you do know that kindle DRM, if not stripped, is device specific? , so you cannot simply copy kindle books from devices to PCs or vice versa, or from one device to another.
either you go directly from amazon servers to device, wirelessly, or you completely strip DRM with help from ALF and then not have to bother