Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #2596
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
there's a new Dune novel next week
They are STILL writing these? I will never be done...

It totally makes sense not to buy the next book in the series unless it is on special and unless you are going to drop everything else to read it. I have several preorders I still haven't read and I've had them more than a year.

I should make a TBR list, but I'm afraid it will be daunting. I know, for instance, I have over 400 audiobooks (combo of books, novellas and short stories, listened and unlistened) on Audible mostly due to the whispersync deals. I know I have over 1,200 books on Amazon (both paid and free) and about 600 on B&N (paid and free) and almost 100 at Baen. Of course there is some duplication here and there due to Whispersync. Still, if I eliminate all the free and read ones and ones specifically for other family members, I'm sure my list will be akin to Paul's.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-07-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #2597
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyvine View Post
Have enough books to read one a week for the next year but still I download more. Help!
Only a YEAR? I have enough for the next TEN years. Yet I still buy more. Go figure!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #2598
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's why you are a member of this thread purplestar.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #2599
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I have about 14 books waiting to be read and I thought that was a lot. But it sounds nothing compared to yours. 1250 books?! Whoa. Stop buying and start reading!
I don't stop reading; I get through about 150 books a year. Unfortunately, I just added about 50 more books to the stack - but at least I didn't pay anything for 'em. I scooped 'em up on 100% discounts at Smashwords, while this week's big promotion is going on.

Free books don't count, right?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #2600
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm hoping to eventually get down to about 50 books on my TBR pile. But that seems a very long way off.
I think I'd feel a little constricted with only 50 books; 100 seems about right to me. I've got over 20 shelves on my readers and it would be silly to have only two books on each of them. Even 100 is still years ahead, however--and if I don't start reading faster than I buy, then it's never. 2014 is already a lost cause in that respect, which is why I've started a clean slate since the Kobocalypse. No point in pursuing the unattainable.

It occurs to me that I should start a new Calibre shelf, "Books I Shall Never Read", that is, the books I've bought but I'll always feel like reading something else instead. Populating the shelf would be a salutary exercise in itself and I could peruse it whenever I feel the urge.

Since March got its late start, I've bought one book for 99¢. I've got one book on my wishlist, but it's over $17 so it's going to wait on a better coupon than 50% off.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #2601
Tarana
Wizard

I am in the belief that free books don't count in your TBR. Consider them library books that never expire.

I am having some difficulty resisting the Mickey Spillane special on audiobooks at Downpour this weekend. I would not get to it in like 3 years. By then, it might be on special again. Or, I might want to read something else and it would become a permanent member of my TBR. But it's on sale!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #2602
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, it's on sale. But you CAN resist. Especially since you have plenty of books in your audio TBR.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #2603
Tarana
Wizard

I got my statement from the credit card company with the Kobocalypse Sale (I did not originate this term) and that's helping. Mostly because my audiobook sale purchases are on there and the accumulation makes me go So, have resisted well so far.

I also found out that the Tribe of the Sith, that I was going to start requires buying yet another book to get the finale, so I'm going to choose something else for now on my Nook.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #2604
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I passed on last weeks Stephen King's audiobooks.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #2605
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonster View Post
I passed on last weeks Stephen King's audiobooks.
I passed on Stephen Kings last few books as well. I refuse to pay $17.99 for an ebook.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:15 AM   #2606
mojos
Enthusiast
mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.mojos will give the Devil his due.

Device: iPad 2
Hello I'm mojos and I'm an ebook buying addict! What's worse is I also have physical books in my shelf that I haven't read yet! Oh, and my last purchase was 2 days ago! I found a coupon for Kobo and just couldn't resist buying it!
mojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #2607
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi mojos, Welcome to the thread.

Nearly all of us here have a similar problem - a massive number of books waiting to be read, and yet we still buy more.

As you'll have seen from the first post, we have come up with some rules to help us control (NB control, not stop) our ebook buying. I hope they'll be of use to you.

And if the urge to buy something that isn't allowed by the rules comes over you, post here and get support. We'll remind you to consider things like how many very similar books you alreayd have in your TBR pile, and how an even better special offer may well come along before you get around to reading the book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #2608
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I had a slip yesterday. I bought the monthly Baen bundle, but that was planned and expected. But then I went looking at Audible to see what was new and check when the next Cherryh Foreigner book would be out. Bad idea. While I was there, I noticed a Jennifer Roberson book I hadn't read in 20+ years. I started to use a credit on it, then I noticed that it was WhisperSync'd and way cheaper to buy the eBook and then get the Audible book, not using the credit. Bad. And it's totally screwed up my plans, since there are at least 5 more in the series. Sigh.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #2609
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
then I noticed that it was WhisperSync'd and way cheaper to buy the eBook and then get the Audible book, not using the credit.
Only cheaper if you do eventually use the credit on something that itn't WhisperSync'd!

So - are you reading/listening to it now?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #2610
PurpleStar
Wizard

I am so tempted by the 30% off sony coupon, and I can use it on pretty much any book!! Oh boy. Well, I'm going to stay strong and resist. (Had Dresden Files 1-6 omnibus in my cart but removed it.) Take that, coupon!!!! Luckily I had no payment information at the Sony store and didn't want to put my debit card info in.