Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Do downloaded covers count as metadate

Hi,

I have a Kobo Aura (original) that will not sync all of my books (3163 books), as kepub, although I have a 32gb sandisk micro SD card in the external card reader.

As a result of this I have downloaded all of my books using adobe 3. However my question is that whilst I can use calibre to correct the metadata to show the correct author sort, title and series. I also want to download covers for those books that do not have covers showing in calibre.

To complicate matters I also want to use calibre to send the metadata to my other kobo ereaders which I have upgraded the internal sd cards to 32gb.

So if I download covers in calibre for my epubs I am transferring onto my kobo aura devices, will this screw up the metadata I want to transfer to my other kobo's, that have the books synced direct from kobo?

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
I have a Kobo Aura (original) that will not sync all of my books (3163 books), as kepub, although I have a 32gb sandisk micro SD card in the external card reader.
You have bought 3163 books from Kobo? Wow.

When there are problems like this, normally I would suggest using the repair account function. But, that would take a long time with that number of books. And with the 500+ books that I have, it seems to stop downloading the books after a while. After that, using "Download All" in the library lists a few times gets the rest of the books.
Quote:
As a result of this I have downloaded all of my books using adobe 3. However my question is that whilst I can use calibre to correct the metadata to show the correct author sort, title and series. I also want to download covers for those books that do not have covers showing in calibre.
Sideloading books from calibre doesn't touch the downloaded books. The only affects it can have is on the collections and series information. If you download the book from Kobo, and sideload, it will mean you have two copies of the book on the device and the firmware does not connect them in any way.

For the metadata changes and covers, I assume you are using my Kobo Utilities plugin. Any changes you do with on one device will have no affect on the other devices. The only problem you might find is that after a sync, the metadata and covers for downloaded books will revert to whatever Kobo has. It's been a while since I played with this, and I don't know the rules used. I am sure they will get updated at some point in the future, but, I don't know when or what has to happen to trigger it.
Quote:
To complicate matters I also want to use calibre to send the metadata to my other kobo ereaders which I have upgraded the internal sd cards to 32gb.

So if I download covers in calibre for my epubs I am transferring onto my kobo aura devices, will this screw up the metadata I want to transfer to my other kobo's, that have the books synced direct from kobo?
It shouldn't. For sideloaded books and other changes, the devices are pretty much independent. The only thing I can think of that will sync is the collections. Any collections calibre creates on one device will be synced to the other and created. If the collections changed for the downloaded books, they will be synced as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Davidfor,

I bought most of my books back in the good old days of "bargainmoose" and other discount codes that kobo did not enforce the rules on. Since then most of the books I have bought have been ones on the daily deals.

The reason I am doing this is that when I try to sync all my books to either aura, it fills up the internal storage before looking to use the external sd card. This means that when the internal storage drops to 0 it says the ereader is full and stops syncing books.

Do you know if the repair function would fix this or not?

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:01 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
I bought most of my books back in the good old days of "bargainmoose" and other discount codes that kobo did not enforce the rules on. Since then most of the books I have bought have been ones on the daily deals.
Yes, I remember those days.
Quote:
The reason I am doing this is that when I try to sync all my books to either aura, it fills up the internal storage before looking to use the external sd card. This means that when the internal storage drops to 0 it says the ereader is full and stops syncing books.
What is supposed to happen is that when the internal storage is full, books are put on the external card. The cover images should also be on the card. But, the database that contains all book details is on the internal storage.

What I suspect is happening is that the internal storage is getting to the "full" point and then the device starts to use the external card. But, the internal database keeps growing and eventually the internal storage is filled and the database cannot be updated. At that point, it should stop adding books altogether.
Quote:
Do you know if the repair function would fix this or not?
I don't know, but I suspect not.

If it downloads all the book details first, it might work. That would mean it builds the database to the full size needed and the only update when the book is downloaded is to record that fact and where it is. But, I suspect it downloads the basic details for all books, but adds the ToC related records as the books are downloaded. That will add a lot of records and needs space as the books are downloaded.

It is probably worth trying if you have the time or interest.

Something that should work would be to reserve some space by creating a large non-book file on the internal storage. If you look at your other Kobo devices and see the database size, you could create a file of roughly that size. Then run the repair. I think it will run until it runs out of space for the database. But, it should put a lot of books on the external storage. Then remove the file and use the "Download all" option in the book list. It should then download more books, some to the internal storage and the rest to the card.

I have no idea if the above will work. I have used this to force purchased books onto the SD card just to see how it worked. But, that was before the repair function was added. And thinking about this, you might need to do it in a couple of passes. Instead of removing the file, reduce its size by 100MB and download more books. That should help to get more books on the SD card each time before the internal storage becomes to full for the database to be updated.

If you do this, I will be very interested in if it works. I can't think of how to test this myself as I think the 500 books I have is not enough. Though, maybe adding 4000 sideloaded kepubs to the SD card and then seeing what happens with a repair would do it. I'll have to think about it.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Download to PC and transfer via USB from Calibre is my recommendation for ANY eBook reader or App.
You then can pick external card. Except on the ancient Binatone Readme Daily, because the ePub formatting is only correct on internal memory under Digital Editions.
I have a Kobo H2O and it's fine with books on the SD card via USB and Calibre, or filesystem direct USB storage.
My Kindle DXG also fine with bought books via Amazon or Smashwords via USB transfer from files or via Calibre, though no SD card on it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 AM   #6
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
What if you connect the ebook to the pc and then just manually copy the internal books to the external sd card?
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
What if you connect the ebook to the pc and then just manually copy the internal books to the external sd card?
I was thinking about that. But, there also needs to be an update to the database to show where the book file is. And you would also need to move the cover images.