Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2016, 04:57 AM   #1
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Problem running Calibre under Windows 10

I have been a very happy Calibre Portable user on a USb stick with a Surface pro for some time now. I have last week upgraded my Surface to Windows 10, Calibre seemed to work without problems until today. This is the message error I get :

Quote:
calibre, version 2.45.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:Not a unicode string

calibre 2.45 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && KoboTouchExtended && Count Pages && EpubMerge && Modify ePub && Overdrive Link && Kobo Utilities && EpubSplit && Kindle Collections && Resize Cover && KindleUnpack - The Plugin && Find Duplicates && Overdrive Link
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\auto_add.py", line 212, in add_to_db
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 336, in add_books
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 221, in add_books
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1544, in add_books
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1492, in create_book_entry
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1477, in has_book
File "<string>", line 5, in lower
TypeError: Not a unicode string
Then, if I try to search for an author, this is what I get :

Quote:
calibre 2.45 Portable isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && KoboTouchExtended && Count Pages && EpubMerge && Modify ePub && Overdrive Link && Kobo Utilities && EpubSplit && Kindle Collections && Resize Cover && KindleUnpack - The Plugin && Find Duplicates && Overdrive Link
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 1080, in search_proxy
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 450, in search
File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 269, in search
File "site-packages\calibre\db\view.py", line 304, in search_getting_ids
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 967, in search
File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 853, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 895, in _do_search
File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 475, in parse
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 327, in parse
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 348, in _parse
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 356, in evaluate
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 399, in evaluate_token
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\search_query_parser.py", line 403, in _get_matches
File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 682, in get_matches
File "site-packages\calibre\db\search.py", line 53, in _match
TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable
I tried to upgrade calibre portable to 2.49 with the same results. Dito if I try Calibre x64 with my library on the stick.

What should I try next and is this happening because of Windows 10 or because my library somehow got corrupted ?

I'd be grateful for any suggestion.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those errors both indicate invalid data is being fed into the database. The most likely cause of the problem is a misbehaving third party plugin. The first thing to do is disable all of them. Then if that does not solve the issues, attach the metadata.db file from your calibre library folder.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Those errors both indicate invalid data is being fed into the database. The most likely cause of the problem is a misbehaving third party plugin. The first thing to do is disable all of them. Then if that does not solve the issues, attach the metadata.db file from your calibre library folder.
OK, thanks for the info. I'll disable all and add them one by one to see which one is the problem, and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again !
Old 01-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
OK, thanks for the info. I'll disable all and add them one by one to see which one is the problem, and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again !
You can start Calibre from the commandline

Code:
calibre  --ignore-plugins
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can start Calibre from the commandline

Code:
calibre  --ignore-plugins
Although since this is a portable install, you will have to use the full path to calibre.exe, and set the necessary environment variables manually: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cust...ment-variables
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard

I did disabled all plugins and the error message changed to "CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed". I found this thread calibre corrupt error corrupt error database disk image is malformed, which corresponded exactly to my error message and followed the restoring database procedure, which worked almost perfectly.

My only problem left is that I have around 300 books (which is nothing compared to the amount in my library) which are in the library but without any format, altough if I use the "open the containing folder" option, sure enough, the epubs and/or azw3 are there.

What is the most efficient way to have those formats reappear in my library ? I did two library checks already but that did not solve the problem. Apart from that, the Library opens without any error and shows all my books, so that's good.

Last edited by aceflor; 01-30-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

step 0 ) Make a backup of you library folder, 'just in case'

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....libre-is-blank Imagine the word 'Partially" being shown there.

If the rebuild fails to find all (or you have already tried this)
Alternately

Use Calibre to Move <<This keeps as much as possible of what you do have

the books (w/formats) it KNOWS about to a new Library folder using this procedure

step
0 ) Make a backup of you library folder, 'just in case'

1)Use the Library icon menu to Create a new Library (location) using the existing structure (tick)

2) in the original: Search: formats:true
2b) Select all (ctrl-A): right-click in the list:copy to Library: delete after copy

What now remains (in the OLD Library folder) is what Calibre forgot about due to DB damage

to recover this, you will now use the normal ADD (books).
3)The second item On the Add Books Icon pulldown menu (matches a normally Library layout). Point that to the Main (broken) Library folder (The one with all the Author folders)

If all that succeeds, you can just discard the backup of the damaged Library, and clean out the OLD Library remains
Old 01-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
aceflor
Wizard

OK dok. Thanks a lot theducksfor taking the time to post a detailed howto ! I will give it a try tomorrow when I have the time and quietness.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:01 AM   #9
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
step 0 ) Make a backup of you library folder, 'just in case'

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....libre-is-blank Imagine the word 'Partially" being shown there.

If the rebuild fails to find all (or you have already tried this)
Alternately

Use Calibre to Move <<This keeps as much as possible of what you do have

the books (w/formats) it KNOWS about to a new Library folder using this procedure

step
0 ) Make a backup of you library folder, 'just in case'

1)Use the Library icon menu to Create a new Library (location) using the existing structure (tick)

2) in the original: Search: formats:true
2b) Select all (ctrl-A): right-click in the list:copy to Library: delete after copy

What now remains (in the OLD Library folder) is what Calibre forgot about due to DB damage

to recover this, you will now use the normal ADD (books).
3)The second item On the Add Books Icon pulldown menu (matches a normally Library layout). Point that to the Main (broken) Library folder (The one with all the Author folders)

If all that succeeds, you can just discard the backup of the damaged Library, and clean out the OLD Library remains
"copy structure from the current library" is greyed out, I cannot tick it. I am using Calibre portable, is this the reason? It should not be...

Last edited by aceflor; 01-31-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
"copy structure from the current library" is greyed out, I cannot tick it. I am using Calibre portable, is this the reason? It should not be...
Dun'o,
Been a long time since I used 'Portable' (I mostly run Windows X64 version)
It might be caused by Where you set the destination for the new Library??
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be grayed out until you select "Create new library at the location" only if you have selected that will it be enabled.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
aceflor
Wizard

Ah ok, that makes sense indeed. Well I have lost track of time today so I guess I will try that on Tuesday. Thanks to both for your precious help.