Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Windows beta testers needed

Hi all,

I have been working on fixing an issue that prevented calibre from detecting connected devices on some some windows 10 machines (where the devices were incorrectly being reported as fixed, instead of removable storage by the operating system). I think I have solved the issue, unfortunately, the solution required a complete rewrite of the way calibre detects devices that show up as drives in windows.

I have tested the new code with all my windows machines and al my devices, going back to an old SONY PRS-650 and they all work, but given the large number of devices and OS combinations possible, there is no way for me to be comprehensive in my testing.

So I'm asking for a little help from the community. Please install the calibre beta from here: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/ and test it out with your devices.

If any devices that are detected by normal calibre installs fail to be detected, please post the output from Preferences->Miscellaneous->Debug device detection (with your device connected)

Needless to say, you can always downgrade from the beta to regular calibre by simply un-installing the beta and installing the regular calibre release. Doing so will not affect your calibre books/settings/plugins.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:22 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit the following devices are all detected just fine.

Kindle 2 (US)
Kindle Touch
Cybook Opus
Kobo Aura HD
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 03:55 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, good to see that it worked with a Cybook, that is one family of devices I do not possess.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Using portable beta, my neighbours Kobo Glo was detected on her 64 bit Vista laptop, and on my 64bit Win10 1511 desktop. I also put 2.49 portable on the same stick; same result, detected on Vista & Win10. Both systems had all available MS updates applied, including Vista's optional 'Platform Update'.

As well as testing detection, in each context (V-beta, w10-beta, V-2.49, W10-2.49) I added a book and sent it to device, seemed to work, i.e. we could read them on the Glo.

What I did NOT do was to remove the 'books' from the Glo using calibre. My neighbour insisted on doing that with... I would guess total commander. Which is fortunate as I don't know how to remove books from devices with calibre.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-25-2016 at 04:03 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The new code is only involved in the detecting of devices -- adding/removing of books and other device related operations should be unaffected. But, it is always good to test these things as I have been known to be wrong before
Advert
Old 01-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Or a 3rd party has slipped in another gotcha.

I don't ordinarily plug devices into calibre and my neighbour doesn't use calibre, so we thought... Let's send something to the Glo, that'll prove it's working. It only took a extra couple of minutes.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have tested all my Kobo devices without any problems. They are the Touch, Glo, Aura H2O and Glo HD. This is the 64bit version of calibre on a Win10 laptop. The laptop initially had Win8.1 and was updated a couple of weeks before Christmas. But, I never haven't had any issues with the devices since the upgrade.

As well as my normal laptop, I have also tested on some other machines. On each, I updated to 2.49.0 first and checked everything was OK. Then I installed 2.49.1 and tested again. There were no problem with any of the machines or Kobo devices.

The machines were a Dell desktop upgraded from Win7 to Win10, an old ASUS laptop also upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and an old HP laptop still running Win7, just to check it wasn't broken there.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-25-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Tested on more machines
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I've tested with Win7/64 bit - calibre 64 bits and Kobo Aura. No problem at all.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do you only want Windows 10 users, or do you want to regression test with other versions too?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Do you only want Windows 10 users, or do you want to regression test with other versions too?
All versions of windows. While the problem I was trying to solve appears only on windows 10, it would be useful to test on other versions, to ensure I did not break anything.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I tested on Win7Pro x64 with a Onyx Afterglow II and a 6-year-old HTC Winphone. All worked fine. In fact it worked better than the original with the HTC, because it doesn't properly label its drives in the way the old method required.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
system: Windows 7 pro, 64bit
device: PocketBook Touch Lux 623
result: it connected the device, displayed list of documents on the device. I did not let it scan the memory card, there are way too many documents there and even scan of the main memory took a long time.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Calibre 2.49.1 64-bit
Kindle Touch 2014

No problem with detecting or adding/removing books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks, all. Good news so far
Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
No problems connecting device or adding books to device. Something different did happen, so I figure I'll mention it.

After installing, AV analyzed the program, which has never happened before. No problems though, 5 - 10 second delay. Over the next 5 days I used Calibre with no more analyzing, but I hadn't connected my device, because I either didn't have it at home, or I didn't think of it since I had nothing to add to it.

Today, connecting the device and adding books worked perfectly, but when disconnecting device, AV analyzed the program again, barely saw the warning and it was done. Reconnected the device to check, no 'analyzing' when disconnected this time.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote