Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #166
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Three points:

1) Calibre's search restriction feature is basically a predecessor to virtual libraries. I investigated last summer changing the View Manager plugin to switch to a virtual library instead of apply a search restriction. There wasn't any interest then, but I believe I still have the partial code somewhere.

But it sounds like what you really want is the other way around--to automatically change the View Manager view when a Virtual Library is selected. Which Job Spy already does and I don't want to try to do in VM.

2) Changing the Edit Metadata dialog or offering a reduced data dialog is, IMO, outside the scope of this plugin. I don't know anything about what Job Spy offers for that.

Kovid's suggestion of manipulating metadata_edit_custom_column_order from the plugin is somewhat reasonable. But it could cause some confusion in users: the order of custom columns in edit metadata would reflect the last VM view invoked, not any other columns shown, hidden or re-arranged by the user since then. And if a user had hand-tweaked that setting, the PI would overwrite it.

3) kiwidude, the author of this plugin, has stepped back from Calibre development. I've undertaken to keep it running, but my interest in new features is pretty limited.

Public interest seems pretty low, too. The last new feature I added (Save/Create New View test version still posted) is still waiting for the requesting user to verify it works as desired...
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #167
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I use this plugin heavily, but there's not a lot of new features I'd need from it I think.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #168
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
1) Calibre's search restriction feature is basically a predecessor to virtual libraries. I investigated last summer changing the View Manager plugin to switch to a virtual library instead of apply a search restriction. There wasn't any interest then, but I believe I still have the partial code somewhere.

But it sounds like what you really want is the other way around--to automatically change the View Manager view when a Virtual Library is selected. Which Job Spy already does and I don't want to try to do in VM.
Would anyone mind taking a look at this? I have looked at Job Spy but find it a very confusing plugin to work with.
Tanjamuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #169
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanjamuse View Post
Would anyone mind taking a look at this? I have looked at Job Spy but find it a very confusing plugin to work with.
At which? Changing View when a new Virt Lib is chosen? Or changing Virt Lib when a View is selected?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #170
Tanjamuse
Wizard
Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Tanjamuse , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I would say, which ever is easiest because I'm sure both would work for me, whether I would choose a VL and then the VM would be automatic or choosing a setting in VM and then automatically changing to the VL.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #171
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have looked at Job Spy but find it a very confusing plugin to work with.
Tanjamuse:

See the attached. That should un-confuse you, since that particular GUI Tool is as easy as pie to use.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js_automatically_apply_view_based_on_virtual_library_example.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	1,002.9 KB
ID:	157341  
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:52 AM   #172
Tanjamuse
Wizard

I've looked at it and tried it and still find it very confusing.

I would much prefer if the option was available with VM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #173
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've looked at it and tried it and still find it very confusing.
Tanjamuse:

I surmise that your mappings from "VLs to VM Views" are "one to many", which that particular JS+ GUI Tool does not support. It supports "one to one" and "many to one".

VLs are "specific", and Views are "generic", so "one to one" and "many to one" mappings make sense, and can easily be handled by JS+. The JS+ GUI Tool is triggered by a Calibre action, not a VM action, because JS+ is not VM. You need a VM trigger.

DaltonST
Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #174
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

DaltonST,

What is the mechanism that JS+ uses to change Views on VL change? If we do add a change-VL feature to VM, how do we prevent recursion?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #175
DaltonST
Deviser

Quote:
DaltonST,
What is the mechanism that JS+ uses to change Views on VL change? If we do add a change-VL feature to VM, how do we prevent recursion?
JimmXinu:

No worries.

The JS+ GUI Tool to change the View based on VL is invoked explicitly by the user in either of two ways, both of which are shown in the attached image in my post of yesterday:

[1] The user clicks a Favourites shortcut to the GUI Tool's menu item; or,

[2] The user clicks and immediately releases the Calibre GUI "Virtual Library" button. The resulting Qt "released" event for that pushbutton is connected to the same function as the Favourites shortcut, which is also the same function as if the GUI Tool action were invoked directly from the JS+ Menu itself.

Obviously, the user must also have activated that entire GUI Tool by clicking its checkbox to do so in JS+ customization. Nothing happens if they choose to not use it.

So, the user selects the VL, and then intentionally causes the JS+ GUI Tool to activate the matching VM View by a click or a click-and-release, depending on what they clicked.

That is the opposite of what Tanjamuse is describing. She wants to select the VM View, and have VM activate the matching VL automatically once the selected VM View becomes active. That provides her a "one to many" mapping capability of VL to View that she needs. JS+ only does "many to one".

From what I see, the VM plug-in just needs a new "Apply Virtual Library" checkbox and dropdown à la "Apply Saved Search", and then apply that VL whenever a VM View is chosen.

Tanjamuse can then map as many Views as she pleases to the identical VL.

In summary, the described new VM functionality in no way interferes or collides with the JS+ functionality. Both can be used simultaneously if the user can remember what-is-what. It really depends on whether their VLs are "specific" and their Views are "generic", or vice-versa. JS+ implicitly assumes the former, and VM's new functionality would implicitly assume the latter,

DaltonST
Old 06-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #176
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Attached is a version of View Manager with a 'Switch Virtual Library' setting.

It also contains the View create/update/save sorts & widths changes from last fall.

Hopefully we can get a few people to test this--and report that it works.

UPDATE - added another fix for applying old-view settings.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 06-20-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete test versions
Old 06-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #177
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Attached is a version of View Manager with a 'Switch Virtual Library' setting.

It also contains the View create/update/save sorts & widths changes from last fall.

Hopefully we can get a few people to test this--and report that it works.
@JimmXinu - I don't need any of the changes, so I will do some tests to ensure my usage of current functionality remains unaffected.

You may recall I ran into issues with the never released 'create/update/save sorts and widths' changes you made last year. IIRC my issues were, in part at least, caused by calibre storing its sort history globally, rather than per library. My main usage of VM relates to sorting rather than column layout.

If I run into the same issues I will report them. However, I am anticipating, as foreshadowed last October, that I will retain the old version, under a different name so I don't get View Manager plugin update notices - 'Book List Manager' sounds good

It will be a few days before I can test, should be by end of week.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-18-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Add last para
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #178
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
[. . .[ If I run into the same issues I will report them. [. . .]
Addendum - but I won't want to discuss them - we've been there, done that. Anyone one interested should read posts 128 though 153.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 PM   #179
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Fair 'nuff.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #180
Tanjamuse
Wizard

The new function with switching to VL looks to be working fine. Thanks so much for the quick work and the nice feature.