Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #1471
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Has anyone experienced multiple pages turns in V4? I never saw this in V3.xx but since the upgrade I've seen it a few times. I tap my right thumb on the right edge of the page to turn and it would flick several pages rather than one.

It's not repeatable when I try to do it - so I'm not 100% convinced it's not something I'm doing.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #1472
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I haven't run into anything like that yet. I typically only use the EPUB3 reading engine, though.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #1473
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyhands View Post
Has anyone experienced multiple pages turns in V4? I never saw this in V3.xx but since the upgrade I've seen it a few times. I tap my right thumb on the right edge of the page to turn and it would flick several pages rather than one.

It's not repeatable when I try to do it - so I'm not 100% convinced it's not something I'm doing.
I get that in sometimes v3 on my fire tablet, but as it is not officially compatible.I don't complain. I load it via a complicated path of using the amazon store app in bluestacks, to which amazon is prepared to download their version, then backup and sideload to,fire, registered to same amazon account as bluestacks
with me it's left thumb as I customise the tap zones
it also runs out of ram maybe now and again, a page,turn suddenly shows the next page as only a small rectangle, not full screen and the only fix is exit the book, open a different bok to flush working memory, then close that and reopen the original, I used to blame that on rotating the device accidentally, but I have ruled that out. Though if you really want to stress the app, try rotating the tablet 360 degrees slowly, with the orientation sensor on.

Last edited by stumped; 12-16-2016 at 03:31 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #1474
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I haven't run into anything like that yet. I typically only use the EPUB3 reading engine, though.
You only read epub 3 then?
As far as I can tell, that option has no effect on epub 2 books
Old 12-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #1475
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
You only read epub 3 then?
Pretty-much, yes. Many of the epubs I buy from Kobo/Google are already epub3, and the ones I get from Amazon, I extract with KindleUnpack as epub3. The rest, I use a Sigil plugin to convert to epub3. I just prefer Bookari's epub3 reading engine.
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #1476
stumped
Wizard

The only time I realize I had an epub 3 was when sigil refused to delete the start of book dedications and other waffle. I had to go convert epub to epub in calibre to,change it to epub 2 !
Then I could hack out whatever I wanted.

Can you test the 2 digits only last page read on home screen bug please. I doubt that is epub 2, 3 dependent
Note correct values for a few book in progress, , exit or stop the app, go back in and examine home screen numbers. It is only wrong when you exit and restart, if you start, then go to bookshelf, then back to,home, it is then ok. But 1st view of home after a fresh start is always bugged. And the progress circle reflects the bugged value, so,for page 302 I see a progress coloured arc for 02 only. A clue there for the code debuggers.

Last edited by stumped; 12-16-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #1477
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The only time I realize I had an epub 3 was when sigil refused to delete the start of book dedications and other waffle. I had to go convert epub to epub in calibre to,change it to epub 2 !
Then I could hack out whatever I wanted.
My work on Sigil has me primarily thinking, reading, and editing in EPUB3.

Quote:
Can you test the 2 digits only last page read on home screen bug please. I doubt that is epub 2, 3 dependent
Note correct values for a few book in progress, , exit or stop the app, go back in and examine home screen numbers. It is only wrong when you exit and restart, if you start, then go to bookshelf, then back to,home, it is then ok. But 1st view of home after a fresh start is always bugged. And the progress circle reflects the bugged value, so,for page 302 I see a progress coloured arc for 02 only. A clue there for the code debuggers.
I see the same behavior you do (with the exception that a book that correctly shows 103, simply shows "3" after a restart).

Man, I'm glad I don't use any of these buggy features!
Old 12-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #1478
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
One thing on the new that I'm really, really having trouble with is the little faded dots that I have to find (have to make the screen very bright in order to see them) with my big fingers in order to delete a book - and I'm never sure it's the book I want to delete, as I keep thinking I'm one book down. I much prefered the check boxes on the old version. Not sure why they felt a need to change everything in the newer version???
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #1479
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
One thing on the new that I'm really, really having trouble with is the little faded dots that I have to find (have to make the screen very bright in order to see them) with my big fingers in order to delete a book - and I'm never sure it's the book I want to delete, as I keep thinking I'm one book down.
I honestly didn't know they were there for the longest time. I couldn't figure out why sometimes the book just opened when I tapped on it--and sometimes the long-press context menu (with the Delete option) was coming up. I typically use the small thumbnails for my Bookshelf, so the book-opening tap-area is a fairly small target.

I think I prefer the old long-press option to delete books, too.

EDIT: I just noticed you can still long-press and bring up the old delete menu (bottom of the screen), but it's nearly impossible to see which books you've selected (when you select multiple books). Instead of a checkbox, the only "visual" indicator of which books are selected is the disappearance of the already-very-hard-to-see menu dots.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #1480
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
I just noticed you can still long-press and bring up the old delete menu (bottom of the screen)
Thanks for this - I had forgotten about the long press - at least I can delete one book at a time and be sure it is the correct one!
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #1481
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
My work on Sigil has me primarily thinking, reading, and editing in EPUB3.

I see the same behaviour you do (with the exception that a book that correctly shows 103, simply shows "3" after a restart).

you are correct, the zero is dropped.
& not fixed in 4.0.1 , cropping on book view details not fixed either
Old 12-17-2016, 12:15 PM   #1482
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So now the version sold at Amazon will be at least two versions behind. The last time it was updated was June 28 2016. That's ridiculous for a paid app.
true - but handy in a way - I can have 2 versions on two tablets so when agame changing bug wrecks one , the other is still usable - like when they lost the text colour in custom themes , customised night mode became black text on black background - circa 3.0.8 and was broke for a few weeks.
i do despair of their QA ( Lack of) . it takes some doing to launch a brand new v4 with a bug on the home screen and another bug on the 1st books screen ( as per my other recent posts), and to drop the useful tickboxes as others have commented.
i sent a message last week asking when amazon would have v4 - no reply. The web site no longer has a bug / query form you have to use " a business enquiry" to send a message now.

if I can get an explain for Moon+ (asked elsewhere) of background colour vs backgound image in preferences, I may switch allegiance again.

Last edited by stumped; 12-17-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #1483
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
true - but handy in a way - I can have 2 versions on two tablets so when agame changing bug wrecks one , the other is still usable - like when they lost the text colour in custom themes , customised night mode became black text on black background - circa 3.0.8 and was broke for a few weeks.
i do despair of their QA ( Lack of) . it takes some doing to launch a brand new v4 with a bug on the home screen and another bug on the 1st books screen ( as per my other recent posts), and to drop the useful tickboxes as others have commented.
i sent a message last week asking when amazon would have v4 - no reply. The web site no longer has a bug / query form you have to use " a business enquiry" to send a message now.

if I can get an explain for Moon+ (asked elsewhere) of background colour vs backgound image in preferences, I may switch allegiance again.
It seems like you are talking about purchasing twice? Once from the Play Store and once from Amazon?

You can have as many versions as you want no matter where you buy. Just backup the apk using ES File Explorer or an app like apk extractor. For an app like Bookari you should always backup before updating.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #1484
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It seems like you are talking about purchasing twice? Once from the Play Store and once from Amazon?

You can have as many versions as you want no matter where you buy. Just backup the apk using ES File Explorer or an app like apk extractor. For an app like Bookari you should always backup before updating.
For historical reasons that I will not bore you with, yes I own both store versions.
Probably via free amazon coins not real money, for the Amazon store version, from when those were easy to come by
Old 12-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #1485
stumped
Wizard

In V4,
I think we have lost the righthand border effect that looked like unturned paper book pages. I quite liked that
And it was unique to bookari. There is still a preference for show border on epub 2 but it just seems to create page indents now.
Ideally I'd like that back, and ideally for 2 column landscape I'd like a background that has a virtual crease down the middle.so ti looks like an opened book.
The kindle app has a feeble try at doing that in 2 column landscape mode for documents, and i think in sideloaded books, but not in bought from amazon ones