Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #46
McGonigle
Connoisseur
McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.McGonigle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad 2018,
Why do I read?

I can't help myself. It is in my DNA. Literally.

I come from a home with piano, bokkshelves and light literature in the form of Reader's Digest readily available for browsing in the "rest" room.

Also, I enjoy retiring at night, taking my book with me to bed. It is wonderfully relaxing to read for an hour or so, before going to sleep.

I like to read about ideas, history, people, fiction, and it is because I read the books that I find interesting, that I read. I have found that attempting to read a book I find boring or annoying, has the effect of stopping me reading.

One of my relatives is a librarian and has tried suggesting to me, books that I should read. As soon as other people start acting like curators, or when I see lists of books everyone should read, I think that people like that are probably responsible for creating a lot of non-readers, because imo, for someone to pick up reading, and making it a lifelong habit, it is essential, that that person reads books that are interesting to him or her, not what some "scholars" or professional readers think we ought to read.
McGonigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #47
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
She came home at the weekends and during holidays and would tell me the Narnia stories from memory. She bought me Enid Blyton books - the Mystery series - which I loved and devoured. That began my love of reading. I still sometimes dip into Blyton, to remind me of that first love.
I have reread the Mystery books many times, and they are clever stories. They're slightly better than Famous Five. Goon is one of my favorite antagonist characters in fiction. I can't believe how few people read this series. Books like Percy Jackson have replaced Enid Blyton.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote