Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM   #601
Sharkie
Sharkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hello, I am a new Oasis 2017 owner

Took me awhile to upgrade as I went from the Voyage, then to the 2016 Oasis. I fianlly decided to sell those 2 off and get the new one.

Picjed up last night at BestBuy. Sat in the car to activiate the reader and to download some content. I fould the kepboard and the rest of the interaction to be much faster and smoother than the prior readers. Holding it feels good (but I think the last year model was nicer to hold).

What I was surprised with was the audiobook reader. I was downloading a biography of Martin Luther and I deceded to add the audiobook for $7.

I did not think it would sync with my car stereo, but I tried it and it worked great!
I was also shocked that the 7inch size while not much larger was so much nicer!

I ordered the Kindle cover (saddle brown) which is to be delivered today. Hopefully, I will not post my displeasure with it as many have done so.

If you are on the fence on trying to decide I say go for it.

The only thing I do not like is non pocketability, but not major
Sharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #602
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
anybody has both Kindle Oasis 2 and Kobo Aura H2O first gen to make a comparison for screen quality?
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #603
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
anybody has both Kindle Oasis 2 and Kobo Aura H2O first gen to make a comparison for screen quality?
The H2O has a nicer screen in terms of contrast, but pales in comparison to the Kindle in every other aspect
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #604
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
but pales in comparison to the Kindle in every other aspect
i noticed someone complained "slight gradient in light intensity diminishing from thick side to thin side" for oasis 2 screen, is this isolated issue or wide spread issue?
Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #605
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
i noticed someone complained "slight gradient in light intensity diminishing from thick side to thin side" for oasis 2 screen, is this isolated issue or wide spread issue?
i did comment on this in my review a while back, but in comparison to other units which use a similar technology (Voyage, Oasis 1), i think is far superior. if you look on another thread i have posted, i have gone through 4 Oasis 1's and all of those have a much more noticeable gradient than the Oasis 2 i had for a week. on the other hand, the one i saw at Best Buy had a very noticeable gradient in the couple of lighting conditions i could try it in (full on lit store, dark, under the shelf of the display). if i could have found a way to comfortably hold the Oasis 2, i'd still have it. i can only wish that this original units "slight gradient" were on the Oasis 1 units i tried out. after seeing a screen with that negligible gradient and no light cones/shadows/scalloping made me realize what was possible with these front lit readers.

so, bottom line: it will vary a lot from unit to unit, and also depend on how sensitive you are to such things. i'm pretty sensitive, IMHO, but i'm sure there may be even pickier folks out there.

i'd say, if you are interested: order or buy with the acknowledgement that you may want to return it or try a couple units out. good luck!
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #606
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Yep that is possible. You can have a look at the pictures posted in this thread and others. The one I have is as even as the Aura H2O (but it's true, that was perhaps the first ereader that got it truly right in terms of light uniformity).
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #607
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
The H2O has a nicer screen in terms of contrast, but pales in comparison to the Kindle in every other aspect
How about font support? Kobo definitely blows away the Kindle in font support. Show me one Kindle where you can side load the fonts of your choice without jailbreaking/patching.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #608
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Can you still see a gradient with the lights as low as possible or better completely off?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #609
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How about font support? Kobo definitely blows away the Kindle in font support. Show me one Kindle where you can side load the fonts of your choice without jailbreaking/patching.
Not truly a solution--but just want to point out that you can embed a font into your book during a Calibre conversion to AZW3, then choose "Publisher Font" on the Kindle to use your font.

That being said, I much prefer Kobo's font handling and options--along with the ability to add fonts directly to the device.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #610
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Full disclosure: you can side load fonts, but you cannot adjust the fonts' weight.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #611
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Full disclosure: you can side load fonts, but you cannot adjust the fonts' weight.
Well, yes you can. There is a patch for that. Out of the box? No
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #612
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Well, yes you can. There is a patch for that. Out of the box? No
Definitely, but Jon was talking about without Jail breaking/patching.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #613
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Well, yes you can. There is a patch for that.
could you point a link for that patch(for 5.9.2 oasis 2)? thanks.

Last edited by vostro; 12-09-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #614
vostro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post

i'd say, if you are interested: order or buy with the acknowledgement that you may want to return it or try a couple units out.
ordered one last night and received it moment ago, photos is comparison with H2O (in left).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	546.2 KB
ID:	160527  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #615
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
could you point a link for that patch(for 5.9.2 oasis 2)? thanks.
The patch does not exist for a Oasis 2 on 5.9.2 - if you truly wanted to tinker around with it, you should have never let it update.

What I said was refering to the Kobo allowing sideloaded fonts to get their weight adjusted. See this post for that.

Everytime Jon posts anything bashing a Kindle for no reason he also praises Kobo needlessly. If you want to tinker then a Kobo is probably the better device to do that with since no jailbreaking is necessary.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote