Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
CO'Neil
Enthusiast
CO'Neil doesn't litterCO'Neil doesn't litter

Device: PRS500
I'm definitely one of the people who only ever buys stuff on eBay, so I've always intended just to pass along my original eReader, the Sony PRS500.

But...

Although it was updated in the field a couple of years ago, then sent in for factory upgrade to ePub -- and although it came back from the latter different and not recognizing 3000 out of 4500 books on the original 2Gb SD chip -- it still works.

In the meanwhile I've gone through a few desktops: most of my old LRF files were on a hard drive from some time ago, which in turn can plug in to the latest desktop as K:\, so, so what? Also meanwhile, how many netbooks have I owned? Yet the actual thrill of reading on the old (what, 2-1/2 years?) monochrome low-contrast 500 has yet to pall.

Bottom line: I'm still reading my way through 180+ Doc Savage bootlegs (thanks to Mikhail and the original version of Calibre) and have the vast majority of The Shadow yet to read.

Lots of things have changed: my camcorder fits in my pocket and records 2+ hours on an 8Gb SD (for under $100), but I'm reading 1930s pulp in the Twenty-First Century! And, by golly, appreciating it.

Chris

Last edited by CO'Neil; 03-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.
CO'Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I really loved my first too... but I let it go to a very worth home... miss Cat.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I updated my Sony, and passed on my 500 to my partner. Whenever she is sitting reading it I still think of it as mine. At some future point I'll update her to something else, and get the old one back. It's just lovely.

I read books on the old ereader for what, two years, of course I became attached to it
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote