Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Folders! WE NEED FOLDERS!

My new K2 has arrived and I've loaded in my books.

My book list is 65 pages long and I've still got almost 50 gigs available. Every book I add makes it harder to get to Sarah Zettel's titles!

Amazon has GOT to provide a better way to organize our collections. Sony at least lets us jump to a particular starting letter in the list! I heard that Bezos delayed the release of K2 in order to work on the interface, gotta wonder what it looked like before...

The good:

The screen is lovely, page turns are fast, it's light and thin and I love the cover I ordered for it.

The bad:

Interface, as I said, why don't they just come to people like me whose purchase record lists over 300 Kindle books and ASK us what we need to help us organize them???

The connector...non-standard? Another proprietary cable to carry around? Sigh, spare cable on order, 16 bucks...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Everyone was hoping that the Kindle 2 release would have folders, but alas.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Sony at least lets us jump to a particular starting letter in the list!
Unless something has changed with the K2, you can indeed do that if you have your library sorted by author or title.

Quote:
The connector...non-standard? Another proprietary cable to carry around? Sigh, spare cable on order, 16 bucks...
micro-USB is not proprietary or non-standard (save for being rather new).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
$16? That's a rip-off. I can get a micro-USB cable for $9.99+tax fir 1 meter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

hmmmm I've seen mini-usb, never seen 'micro'. I stand corrected, it is a generic connector.
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Personally, and please forgive me if this appears to be a thread crap, but I could literally not care less about folders.

The problem with this situation is that there are a few who desperately want folders, who consider their lack to be a glaring flaw.

BUT, the vast majority don't miss them, don't need them, and really have a hard time figuring out what all the fuss is about.

I'm certain that Amazon's decision not to include them had something to do with the numbers. They really aren't that big a deal to most Kindle users.

But you do have my sympathy.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
mdibella
Groupie

So you have 1.5 gigs of available storage and no way to organize it, and you don't see that as a problem?

This is like putting a wall of bookcases in the basement and then piling in the books willy nilly with no organization (oh wait, I did that too....) (then I spent weeks alphabetizing them, so don't yell at me hee hee)

At the very least, they should give a way to label the books in a series with their reading order.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I think Amazon (or Sony for that matter) won't be doing any kind of folders unless they can dumb down their use to the lowest common denominator.

Coming from over a year of using a 505 it would be nice to have 'collections' or something similar but it's certainly not a deal breaker.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
So you have 1.5 gigs of available storage and no way to organize it, and you don't see that as a problem?

This is like putting a wall of bookcases in the basement and then piling in the books willy nilly with no organization (oh wait, I did that too....) (then I spent weeks alphabetizing them, so don't yell at me hee hee)

At the very least, they should give a way to label the books in a series with their reading order.
You can alphabetize you Kindle's collection, by author or title, in a matter of seconds.

No, I don't see any problem whatsoever.

And apparently I'm not alone.

As I mentioned, I do sympathize with you. I know what it means to want a feature while the vast majority simply does not think it's all that important.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
while the vast majority simply does not think it's all that important.
Vast majority? And your data on this comes from where?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
As usual, send you comments to kindle-feedback [at] amazon.com

Amazon is a customer-focus company, they will listen.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #12
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Vast majority? And your data on this comes from where?

Just look around!

How many people are pitching a fit about folders?

It's always the same few.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
No, I don't see any problem whatsoever.
I'm just curious about how many books you have and whether you reread previous books much?

There are two problems with a lack of folders.
1) If I need to get to page 43 of my book list it is a hassle. I do find it easier with K2 than with my previous cybook because it is much faster, but it is still a hassle.
2) I have a lot of books by the same author and within that author are a lot of books in different series. It would be nice to have a way to group series together. Of course, even better than folders for this purpose would be the reading lists that are in mobipocket.

Someone earlier asked about the difficulty of using folders for the non-tech audience. I don't see it. If folders are present you don't have to use folders, but if you need them they are there.

It doesn't seem that they would be that hard to provide. The K2 already recognizes books in subfolders below the document folder. You can already put things in different folders (Audible, books) and choose which folder to display. It would seem simple to expand the items list with a wider list of items.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Just look around!

How many people are pitching a fit about folders?

It's always the same few.
Well, I disagree. When I look around the various fora, I see folders/tags as oft requested by many people. And one of the questions that non-owners ask me about when they see the device and want to talk about it.

And "pitching a fit" isn't the same as desiring a feature.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Well, I disagree. When I look around the various fora, I see folders/tags as oft requested by many people. And one of the questions that non-owners ask me about when they see the device and want to talk about it.

And "pitching a fit" isn't the same as desiring a feature.
Well, pitching a fit may have been a bit over the top.

Don't get me wrong, it would be just fine with me if you guys got your folders, if you had a petition for me to sign I would gladly sign it.

It's just that they aren't important to me. Not even a little.

And in the grand scheme of things from Amazon's perspective, I can't help but feel that the number of people who are raising this issue is small with respect to the other issues.

I'm certain that the most important issue on Amazon's punch list when they were working on the K2 was to reduce the number of accidental page turns. Your folders may have been on the list, but I don't believe they were near the top.

Who knows, you may get them yet with a firmware update.

Last edited by nelamvr6; 02-25-2009 at 04:15 PM.