Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
October - my favorite month of the year

October, the weather is starting to cool down and the new books are coming out. All told, I have 6 pre-orders that come out this month with at least one book coming out each Tuesday.

Anyone else have any books they are looking forward to coming out this month?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
onewiththeanswer
onewiththeanswer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I feel you. I enjoy so much this season! I can't wait for the delivery of mine as well. What kind of genre do you enjoy most?
onewiththeanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I agree. I'm pleasently overwhelmed with choosing my next reads.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm looking forward to a few Oct/Nov UK releases that I'll have to wait until after the first of the year to purchase in the US.

The problem with living in a geo-restricted ebook purchasing world is that there's no accompanying geo-restriction on the marketing of those works (nor their reviews).

But there's still a few works I'm looking forward to being released in the US in Oct/Nov I'll be able to read.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go to Kobo and take a trip to the US. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go to Kobo and take a trip to the US. Problem solved.
I'm assuming you meant "UK" since I live in the US already. But regardless...

Problem NOT solved. Lying is something I hope to never get comfortable doing. Especially for something as frivolous as wanting to buy an ebook a few months early.

And before others get themselves into a huff ... this all about me. Your personal moral codes are your own to define. Your reasons for being OK with the deception won't sway or interest me.

It might be different if the ebook was never going to be available for purchase in my location. But even then, I'd probably just have the print copy imported.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Apologies to the OP for the slight derailment. A few of the books that I'm looking forward to which are being released somewhere in the world (in ebook format) in October/November are:

The conclusion of J.P. Smythe's Australia trilogy Dark Made Dawn
Nick Harkaway's Gnomon
Andy Weir's Artemis
Elizabeth Bear's latest

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewiththeanswer View Post
I feel you. I enjoy so much this season! I can't wait for the delivery of mine as well. What kind of genre do you enjoy most?
SF and History mostly, though I did pick up Dan Brown's Origin (I guess that qualifies as fantasy).

SF
-Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 3
-The Silver Mask
- Lost Legio IX - Marc Alan Edelheit
- The Monster Hunter Files - edited by Larry Correia

History
-The Storm before the Storm, by Mike Duncan (Rome from the Gracci brothers through the first Civil War with Marius and Sulla. Mike Duncan did the most excellent History of Rome podcast)
-The Second World War by Victor Davis Hanson
Old 10-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Apologies to the OP for the slight derailment. A few of the books that I'm looking forward to which are being released somewhere in the world (in ebook format) in October/November are:

The conclusion of J.P. Smythe's Australia trilogy Dark Made Dawn
Nick Harkaway's Gnomon
Andy Weir's Artemis
Elizabeth Bear's latest
I've got Artemis on order as well.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm strictly a summer person. I love lying outside in the sun absorbing lots of vit d, rather than relying on pills, reading about desert islands, romance, and far away sunny places. Cyd, one of my cats, rolls beside me and really does want his tummy rubbed.

I bought a bean bag last summer to lean on while reading. That purchase ended the sunny weather!
You can keep autumn and winter with its dull grey days. All the pre-Christmas releases are about winter and snow and Christmas.

Bah Humbug!

Give me a beach read in a summer garden.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I've never quite understood what qualifies as a "beach read," myself (assuming of course that the plot of said book doesn't actually unfold on a beach). Your stipulation about reading it in the garden means that it's not entirely dependent upon the place where the book gets read. I guess I've just always assumed it meant "long(ish) buzz-generating fiction."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-12-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am looking forward to Stephen Brust's Vallista. It is the due to be released October 17 and is the latest Vlad Taltos novel(15).
Also The Mongrel Mage,by L. E. Modesitt Jr., is scheduled for an October 31 release. Number 19 in the Saga of Recluce.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
October, the weather is starting to cool down and the new books are coming out. All told, I have 6 pre-orders that come out this month with at least one book coming out each Tuesday.

Anyone else have any books they are looking forward to coming out this month?
Well... Ann Leckie's newest came out a few weeks early, it was due out in October, but it was pushed back. But others I am looking forward to:

The Tiger’s Daughter by K Arsenault Rivera
Endurance by Scott Kelly
Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've never quite understood what qualifies as a "beach read," myself (assuming of course that the plot of said book doesn't actually unfold on a beach). Your stipulation about reading it in the garden means that it's not entirely dependent upon the place where the book gets read. I guess I've just always assumed it meant "long(ish) buzz-generating fiction."
I understand it to be a book purchased at your departure airport and left at your holiday accommodation on your return, having been read while sunbathing on the beach. Effectively a disposable book; back in the days when I used to haul books instead of an e-reader on holiday, these were the books I purchased at charity shops for pennies and (generally) left behind (I hate getting rid of books - unless I've replaced it with an ebook).

As far as I can see, they tend to be the most recent best seller.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm looking forward to Kevin Hearne's A Plague of Giants. His sense of humour always has me in stitches.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote