Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 04:01 AM   #16
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Oh, but I do correct later. I just highlight possible errors while I'm reading, and later check at the computer, with the reader before me. It isn't ideal, but it works.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
What I'm looking for is a way to read on the reader and save the errors let's say, as a memo, and correct the errors later, for example in Sigil, in order not to disturb so much the reading experience. But what you describe seems the only possible way on a Kobo.
As the other dragon said, you can highlight text and save it with or without an annotation on the Kobo devices. I do this and when I am at the PC, bring up the annotations list for the book and use the calibre editor to fix the problems.

There is also the Annotations plugin. This can fetch the annotations from a Kindle or Kobo device and put them in a column. Again, you can look at these while editing the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #18
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
THIS old thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275900

has lots of tips for proofreading, with quite a few examples of frequent errors that spellcheck won't catch. Those are good candidates for regex search & replace while you are working in an editor. Regex won't work on a reader, obviously, but you can keep watch for some of these word patterns.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #19
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Brilliant. That's the thread I was too lazy to search for. Should be stickied in the workshop forum, shouldn't it?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:07 AM   #20
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Yes, I agree that would be a good sticky candidate.

There is another thread somewhere discussing proofing, that I have been seeking without success. I remember there was discussion there also about using monospace fonts, and I wanted to review it to see what else was addressed. I will keep trying...
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatitmatters View Post
I just find it takes away the enjoyment of reading, from a book with numerous errors. These are all purchased ebooks that the authors and/or publishers should have proofread before sale. I shouldn't have to do it.
I would recommend that you do not bother. Return the book to the retailer as unfit for purpose and claim a refund. Perhaps the publisher will get the message when they see lots of returns.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Brilliant. That's the thread I was too lazy to search for. Should be stickied in the workshop forum, shouldn't it?
The workshop forum stickies need revisiting. It looks to me like some are outdated.

I have started a new thread which I have stickied. This will be an index into useful threads.

Please add suggestions of useful threads to that thread please, so we can accumulate them in one place.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #23
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is also the Annotations plugin. This can fetch the annotations from a Kindle or Kobo device and put them in a column. Again, you can look at these while editing the book.
This I have not yet tried. Thanks for the hint!

Edit: do you mean Kovid's "Fetch annotations"-plugin? The description says it is for Kindle.

Last edited by Leonatus; 02-26-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #24
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
O.k. I see, it is a separate plugin.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I would recommend that you do not bother. Return the book to the retailer as unfit for purpose and claim a refund. Perhaps the publisher will get the message when they see lots of returns.
Some indies DO fix issues. I left my error notes in the reviews
brake s/b break (let them find it )

aside:
It may be that some errors (in the US), are really valid.
Is it 'weaved' instead of 'wove' over where you are? My K4 agrees with me, that there is no such word. Weave, Weaving
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
aside:
It may be that some errors (in the US), are really valid.
Is it 'weaved' instead of 'wove' over where you are? My K4 agrees with me, that there is no such word. Weave, Weaving
There are certainly regional differences in English.

One of the most grating to British ears is the lack of a 'to' in sentences like "Write me soon."

(But I be surprised to find any current dictionary accepting weaved as an acceptable alternative to wove.)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatitmatters View Post
Maybe, if it was my own work, which it isn't.
It doesn't have to be your work. I still think reading out loud is the best way to proof.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are certainly regional differences in English.

One of the most grating to British ears is the lack of a 'to' in sentences like "Write me soon."

(But I be surprised to find any current dictionary accepting weaved as an acceptable alternative to wove.)
That would grate

Talk me Where does it stop

Thanks for the not 'regional' confirmation. I wish this error was limite to a single title /Author
How about loose vs lose?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How about loose vs lose?
That's just ignorance or carelessness.

How about fire vs loose/release/shoot?
(One does not fire a bow. Or if one does, it's not of much use afterwards...)
Old 02-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That's just ignorance or carelessness.

How about fire vs loose/release/shoot?
(One does not fire a bow. Or if one does, it's not of much use afterwards...)

Seems there is a plague of these.

I know that way too much ground based terminology slips into space opera.
proof-review should have caught these