Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #31
nrseife
nrseife began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus illumina e654bk
This is the response I got from Icarus "It’s possible that the Bluetooth connection doesn’t support all accessories, but for instance the tested and approved devices are keyboards".
I guess that meanse trial and error for headphones....
nrseife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #32
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrseife View Post
This is the response I got from Icarus "It’s possible that the Bluetooth connection doesn’t support all accessories, but for instance the tested and approved devices are keyboards".
I guess that meanse trial and error for headphones....
Has anyone tried a bluetooth remote for volume control? That would allow bluetooth remote page turning. Usbotg should be usable, but curious about the bluetooth.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #33
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Has anyone tried a bluetooth remote for volume control? That would allow bluetooth remote page turning. Usbotg should be usable, but curious about the bluetooth.
I have tried turning pages with a wireless keyboard (OTG) and just used right and left and it works.
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #34
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colibris79 View Post
I have tried turning pages with a wireless keyboard (OTG) and just used right and left and it works.
Thanks. Hoping bluetooth will also work so the otg receiver won't be needed.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #35
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Thanks. Hoping bluetooth will also work so the otg receiver won't be needed.
Bluetooth keyboard also works with the reading apps, at least with Alreader. Pressing up and down will turn pages. Right and left will scroll the text a few lines.
I also tried taking notes with the A2 mode on and the cursor moves almost as fast as in a PC.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:58 AM   #36
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I also tried taking notes with the A2 mode on and the cursor moves almost as fast as in a PC.
You should try a Remote Desktop session. For example, if you have Win, use aRDP (from I. Iordanov) to connect to your desktop (laptop etc.) through the RDP remote access technology.
(You could also use from VNC to Teamviewer etc.)
That gives you a good idea of the responsiveness in demanding applications.

Of course, 8'' is at least half of a monitor, and greyscale does not help, but...

Remote Desktop situations also give a good idea of the quality implemented when dealing with ghosting

Note: if you do not want to spend effort, you can use TeamViewer easily: desktop and tablet both connected to the Internet, run the two TV clients, connect them (type the 9 digits user code of the desktop client on the tablet app, type the pass, done).

Last edited by mdp; 10-13-2017 at 04:02 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #37
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Bluetooth keyboard also works with the reading apps, at least with Alreader. Pressing up and down will turn pages. Right and left will scroll the text a few lines.

Looks like mine will be here today rather than next Tuesday as predicted when it was sent on Wednesday. Amazing--two days from NL. I was one of the last.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #38
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was one of the last.
Last! : )
Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #39
jscris
Addict

Mine just arrived! Bluetooth remote works great BUT the cover locks the reader when folded back, so that's going to need to be fixed. I always read with it folded back. Screen looks very good at first glance. Charging now. Mine is labeled Icarus with a label on the back that would be very annoying if I were to hold it without a cover.

Appears usbotg may not work, at least it doesn't with the presenter I've been using.

Last edited by jscris; 10-13-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #40
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I get confused every time I see one of your posts that talk about having the A2 mode on. If it's supposed to turn on automatically, how do you get it to turn on when you are typing?

Sorry, I guess I'm just a confused person.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #41
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I get confused every time I see one of your posts that talk about having the A2 mode on. If it's supposed to turn on automatically, how do you get it to turn on when you are typing?
EPD control has several modes.
Two of the main - the situation is evolving - have been
-- the "Normal" mode, 16 shades of gray which flash upon change,
-- the "A2" mode, 2 colors, no flashing, patent 8fps refresh. A2 control evolved a lot in the past years. You should see the effect on the Max Carta - unbeliaveable progress, if compared with past devices.
(This descriptions are not technically worthy.)

Now, since each mode has its pros and cons, firmwares may allow you to select the one you want (Onyx has a switch on the status bar).
Also, since "Normal" is good for static rendering and "A2" for dynamic scrolling, some firmwares may implement automatic mode change upon drag.

It is good that you are allowed to choose. Also because mode switch is not immediate. And since the firmware may not recognize every situation: e.g. to watch animation you want A2, but should a YouTube or Vimeo page be rendered as static or dynamic? Not trivial.

Last edited by mdp; 10-13-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #42
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
EPD control has several modes.
Two of the main - the situation is evolving - have been
-- the "Normal" mode, 16 shades of gray which flash upon change,
-- the "A2" mode, 2 colors, no flashing, patent 8fps refresh. A2 control evolved a lot in the past years. You should see the effect on the Max Carta - unbeliaveable progress, if compared with past devices.
(This descriptions are not technically worthy.)

Now, since each mode has its pros and cons, firmwares may allow you to select the one you want (Onyx has a switch on the status bar).
Also, since "Normal" is good for static rendering and "A2" for dynamic scrolling, some firmwares may implement automatic mode change upon drag.

It is good that you are allowed to choose. Also because mode switch is not immediate. And since the firmware may not recognize every situation: e.g. to watch animation you want A2, but should a YouTube or Vimeo page be rendered as static or dynamic? Not trivial.
Does this tablet let you choose automatic? I had an Onyx T68 that made you choose one or the other and it was horrible. Anytime I had to scroll through any text anywhere it was a crap shoot to stop at what I wanted. My T62D does it automatically, and for me it works great. I don't try to watch video, but it works perfectly for my uses. When I am in Calibre Companion I can scroll through my list of books and I am able to read while scrolling and stop at the book I want. When I am in any app, I can scroll through the app settings and read while I am scrolling and easily find the specific setting I am looking for.

If this one doesn't allow you to have automatic, I can just stop looking at this thread because I won't buy it.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #43
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Does this tablet let you choose automatic
"Automatic" as I know it is not something you choose: it is always there and added to the "Normal and A2 on drag" vs "Always A2" choice, when implemented. Those whom the postal service endowed with power shall in their turn empower the rest with knowledge.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #44
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
"Automatic" as I know it is not something you choose: it is always there and added to the "Normal and A2 on drag" vs "Always A2" choice, when implemented. Those whom the postal service endowed with power shall in their turn empower the rest with knowledge.
Thanks. I've only seen a choice allowed when it was one or the other.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #45
colibris79
Zealot

Quote:

Sorry, I guess I'm just a confused person.
Sorry for that . As mdp has explained the automatic A2 (normal mode) only happens when you are scrolling in certain apps like webpages. Otherwise you have to manually change it (you can do it from the bottom bar). Most of the times when I talk about A2 is because I have manually changed it, so it is in "Always A2" (like in the last post about taking notes).
But most of the time I am in "Normal mode". I personally have no problems scrolling through text inside of apps and finding the part that I need. I find it this automatic change between normal and A2 very smooth.

Last edited by colibris79; 10-13-2017 at 06:17 PM.