Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2023, 03:34 AM   #1
Jerry0101
Jerry0101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Calibre forgot everything

Opened Calibre and it's back to standard configuration: i had to retype the calibre library folder but also it forgot language and doesn't show plugins. What's strange is that if i open preferences->misc and open configuration folder it's still C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\calibre and the plugins are all still there.
Only thing i remember i did is making a new admin for win10 and demote the current to user
Jerry0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
You have to go in and change the user privileges for that folder. I do not know about windows--these days--but in Linux you would also have to give calibre privileges after that type of change.

brnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry0101 View Post
Opened Calibre and it's back to standard configuration: i had to retype the calibre library folder but also it forgot language and doesn't show plugins. What's strange is that if i open preferences->misc and open configuration folder it's still C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\calibre and the plugins are all still there.
Only thing i remember i did is making a new admin for win10 and demote the current to user

Last edited by gbm; 10-11-2023 at 10:23 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2023, 07:48 AM   #3
Jerry0101

Sorry i read only now.
I gave user all privileges to program folder C:\Program Files\Calibre2 and user folder C:\Users\<user_folder> (which already had) but it's no use. I run the program as administrator and give admin PIN everytime.
Maybe it's worth noting one thing: I called "Jhon Doe" the admin, i used an email that starts with "andre" my old standard user is called "andrea". The andrea user already had a user folder in path "C:\Users\andre" . I read windows give the folder name the first 5 letters of username. At the creation of admin "Jhon Doe" its folder has been called "andre.DESKTOP-9ONOB31" . I think to differentiate with the already existent "andre".
Today i used this method https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-9adf9f8a6358
to change admin name. i noticed it was not Jhon Doe but equal to the Microsoft email. I changed it to "Jhon"
So it's a bit confusing but anything i did had not effect.
Here the screen. sorry for italian UI.
https://photos.onedrive.com/share/52...photo&e=aYKstc
Old 10-17-2023, 10:10 AM   #4
Jerry0101

In the end i don't have much trust in Calibre. When i'll return to the pc i'll install a plugin, have a look where/if it is stored somewhere and look what can i do to restore the main preferences.
God I think in 2023 i would've got rid of all the clunky early '00 pc based database managers. Maybe i'll return to buy books in stores.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
In the end i don't have much trust in Calibre. When i'll return to the pc i'll install a plugin, have a look where/if it is stored somewhere and look what can i do to restore the main preferences.
God I think in 2023 i would've got rid of all the clunky early '00 pc based database managers. Maybe i'll return to buy books in stores.
Log in as Admin. Move the calibre config directory someplace else where the normal account may have access. Then run calibre and when it creates the new config directory, in the normal account, copy the config directory to where it should be and you should be good to go. If you cannot copy the config, you'll have to log back in as admin and change the permission to give the other account access.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I've been using Calibre maybe for over 10 years and had no issues.

The only nasty early '00 pc based databases I knew were using Access on Windows. Often "game console" quality Win9x/ME instead of NT 4.0. Most businesses we dealt with skipped Win2K and waited till SP1 out on XP. Linux and Mac was rare. Mac OS9 and earlier was rubbish on security and poorer than NT on stability. OS X was a big step forward for Mac.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
Jerry0101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Log in as Admin. Move the calibre config directory someplace else where the normal account may have access. Then run calibre and when it creates the new config directory, in the normal account, copy the config directory to where it should be and you should be good to go. If you cannot copy the config, you'll have to log back in as admin and change the permission to give the other account access.
I tried to follow your instructions but it didn't work or i didn't understand:

- i logged to Admin (Jhon)
- copied folder C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\calibre to another location and deleted the original.
- Run calibre from Admin
- copied folder C:\Users\andre.DESKTOP-9ONOB31\AppData\Roaming\calibre (admin) to C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\
-Overrided all data from the Calibre folder i saved early to C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\calibre
-Logged from normal user and run calibre.
Nothing changed.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:30 PM   #8
Jerry0101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've been using Calibre maybe for over 10 years and had no issues.

The only nasty early '00 pc based databases I knew were using Access on Windows. Often "game console" quality Win9x/ME instead of NT 4.0. Most businesses we dealt with skipped Win2K and waited till SP1 out on XP. Linux and Mac was rare. Mac OS9 and earlier was rubbish on security and poorer than NT on stability. OS X was a big step forward for Mac.
I've been a bit too iperbolic, what i'm mad about are personal database media managers made to run on anything for everybody, implying keeping data integrity on the home computer is a task for everyday people. Back when we used to own data Itunes, WMP, Winamp & Co made me lose more than one insomniac night. I know the pay for services model is more than a menace to our freedom but at least somebody else does all the dirty work.
And btw i'm a programmer myself that works on IBM AS/400 with DB2 and even if don't know much about databases i love the idea of working on a proprietary system, far from the nightmarish windows complications 8)

Now back to my problem!

Last edited by Jerry0101; 10-17-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:44 PM   #9
Jerry0101

Ok i figured it out partially:
Installed a plugin from normal user and it installed it in the
C:\Users\andre.DESKTOP-9ONOB31\AppData\Roaming\calibre
which is the Admin user folder.
So calibre seems to only use the admin folder.
Copied there my config folder, it works.
still if i open cofig folder from calibre it directs me to:
C:\Users\andre\AppData\Roaming\calibre
Not a big deal, just i don't know why this pedantery and if there is a way to change this irritating behaviour.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2023, 06:23 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you want to put the calibre configuration folder somewhere other than %SYSDRIVE%\Users\<whoever>\Appdata\Roaming\calibre use the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY Environment variable

See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:37 PM   #11
Jerry0101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If you want to put the calibre configuration folder somewhere other than %SYSDRIVE%\Users\<whoever>\Appdata\Roaming\calibre use the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY Environment variable

See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables

BR
Thank you, i’ll try this!
Old 10-17-2023, 09:22 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My experience in over 10Y (on Windows) is that calibre just works when a normal admin user install is done.

A normal user with admin rights is different than Administrator .

Many of the issues are when a user tries something different than just pick where a Library is stored.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote