Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
We have a four-way tie between:

-Eva Luna by Isabel Allende
-Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James
-The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
-Observatory Mansions by Edward Carey

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has THREE votes to use.

If the run-off also happens to end in a tie, the selection that received all its votes first will win.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Decisions, decisions....
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #33
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I'd be happy with any one of these three, so one vote each:

Eva Luna, Isabel Allende - 1 vote
Unreliable Memoirs, Clive James - 1 vote
Observatory Mansions, Edward Carey - 1 vote

Was very tempted to give Clive James 2 votes but the other two books look too interesting to put either of them to one side.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #34
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well that helps a little! It narrows us down to 3. They all sound great so I am happy with any of the remaining options.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the moment, Eva Luna is winning since ties are resolved by the first to get its votes, but I'm not sure if that's accidental since the votes were possibly cast in order listed in the first post.

I hardly know how to vote! They are all three (well four but I'll keep it to the three already voted on) equally appealing to me and each so different. One of you expressed a particular interest in Eva Luna while another expressed a particular interest in Unreliable Memoirs, while Observatory Mansions is someone else's nomination (and one of mine won just last month) that sounds very interesting as well.

Also, Eva Luna would happen to give us not only a female author and a person of colour author, but also an author from a country we've never read from yet (actually a country none of the book clubs here have read from yet per Dazrin's stats). On the other hand, Unreliable Memoirs would give us our first nonfiction title since, well, last March, so it's been awhile since we've read one and the book looks very entertaining. Finally, the sample of Observatory Mansions I read was very enjoyable and 'right up my alley' so to speak and I like that it's by a newer author and one I'm less familiar with, and the Goodreads rating for it was just as high as for the other two (they all three are within 0.07 of each other, being 3.96, 3.89 and 3.93 respectively).

All that to say, I have even less of a clue how to vote on this run-off than perhaps ever before, lol.

Knowing that I (probably, I hope lol) won't be the last vote and therefore not casting the deciding vote or vote order, I am still going to vote in a particular order just in case based on what others have said. I'm going to vote for Unreliable Memoirs first since AnotherCat almost gave it two votes and seems keen on it, and then Eva Luna since it would give us a country we haven't read from yet and Bookworm_Girl is keen on it, and then Observatory Mansions. So:

-1 to Unreliable Memoirs
-1 to Eva Luna
-1 to Observatory Mansions

I feel a bit queer (heh, apropos I suppose) about voting for my own nominations first when they're all so equal to me but am doing so since each received particular attention from others. I would be perfectly happy with any of the four in the run-off though, and I suppose I'm leaving it to, ahem, another voter or voters to help make the final call.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I’m not even going to think about it too hard. How about the following order for my votes.

Eva Luna
Observatory Mansion
Unreliable Memoirs
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I’m not even going to think about it too hard.
That works well too.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Run-off voting is now complete and... we have a three-way tie. Per the guidelines for a run-off tie, the first to receive all its votes will win, which can take into account the order votes are listed in a post. So, the winner is Eva Luna! I will have the discussion thread up soon.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 AM   #39
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I’m looking forward to reading a new author and a new country. I have not been reading enough foreign books this year!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:41 AM   #40
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I am too. I've flown over Chile and stopped at the Santiago airport but I don't know if I've ever read a Chilean book.