Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #1
aldaluin
aldaluin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire hd 8
Linux runs out of ram when I connect to device

Hello-
I have the loan of a Kindle on a friend's account and would like to use Calibre to make sense of it. But the guy owns 36000+ ebooks and when I try to connect to his Kindle, my 32GB computer runs out of memory before it can display the list. Am I missing a simple setting change somewhere or is my quest to browse (and maybe catalog...?) this vast library a hopeless one? I suppose I could spend the $$ to add RAM to my desktop, but... for one app?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a neo with both the Kindle and Calibre, but I coded for a living for a decade or two.
-Charlie
aldaluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Where did this person get 3600+ eBooks? How many of them are not legally purchased?

How many eBooks are on the Kindle? Are you running the latest Calibre 6 version? Did you download Calibre from the calibre site and not the repository?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Opening Calibre with 6,000 titles, multiple formats, increases RAM usage from 3.1G to 3.5G, i.e. less than 400 Mbyte on my Linux. It has 16G RAM. But even my old 4G Linux laptop never ran out. So 36,000 at worse case would be 2.4 GByte.

But Jon, maybe he mirrored part of Gutenberg, it has 70,000+ ebook titles.

Edit: Most of my 3.1G RAM without Calibre is the stupid Web Browser! Gah!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That many books on a Kindle would be hopeless. Copy them off the Kindle and then add them to calibre via add books.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:46 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Opening Calibre with 6,000 titles, multiple formats, increases RAM usage from 3.1G to 3.5G, i.e. less than 400 Mbyte on my Linux. It has 16G RAM. But even my old 4G Linux laptop never ran out. So 36,000 at worse case would be 2.4 GByte.

But Jon, maybe he mirrored part of Gutenberg, it has 70,000+ ebook titles.

Edit: Most of my 3.1G RAM without Calibre is the stupid Web Browser! Gah!
I'm doubting they this is a Kindle full of PD books. But I'm asking just to be sure.
Advert
Old 06-27-2023, 05:00 AM   #6
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
Does it matter if the books were legitimately purchased?
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:59 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
Does it matter if the books were legitimately purchased?
Yes. If not, no help.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't see how any Kindle can have 36,000 ebooks, unless they are small and have no illustrations.

The typical limit for 32G storage might be 15,000 to 25,000 ebooks and most Kindles have a lot less storage.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:32 AM   #9
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
I can't see how any Kindle can have 36,000 ebooks, unless they are small and have no illustrations.

The typical limit for 32G storage might be 15,000 to 25,000 ebooks and most Kindles have a lot less storage.
Maybe they are really into Novellas and short stories. You can fit a lot of Harry Potter fanfic on there.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We are just conjecturing until we know the answers from the OP.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:28 PM   #11
aldaluin

Wow... The latest body count is 37,147, of which 36,573 filter as books. To the best of my knowledge they are all legal. He's an author himself and would consider anything else an insult. Only a couple of hundred have been downloaded (to any Kindle) and read. Suffice to say, the guy is a hoarder. He also has a couple hundred three foot stacks of paperbacks all over his house. He loaned me a 64GB Kindle just so it wouldn't crash when he pushed a few of his favorites to it for me.

I am running Calibre 6.21. I did get it by following the directions on the web site.

To copy them off the Kindle don't I have to pull them all down to the Kindle first? I don't know how to do that in bulk either. Or how many will fit. Or if I have time before the heat death of the universe. It has a big SD card; can I start by putting them all there, then pull the card?

Does anybody know of another way I dump titles, authors, etc into a flat file at least? All I really want is a clue as to what all's in there. Scrolling through titles on the Kindle got old after the first hour.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:36 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If the ebooks are already on the Kindle:
Copy the visible Kindle Directory with ebooks to a place called authors-books (or whatever).

Then in Calibre "Add books" -> "Add from folders and subfolders"

Adding direct from the Kindle is not a great idea and not that amount either.

If the ebooks are not already on the Kindle where are they? If on a website/cloud copy to a folder on PC first then in Calibre "Add books" -> "Add from folders and subfolders"

Don't add to Calibre direct from share/cloud/web.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-27-2023 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 08:08 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If that is a 64GB device, it's an Amazon Fire tablet not a Kindle e-Ink ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:21 PM   #14
aldaluin

Quote:
<snip>

If the ebooks are not already on the Kindle where are they? If on a website/cloud copy to a folder on PC first then in Calibre "Add books" -> "Add from folders and subfolders"

Don't add to Calibre direct from share/cloud/web.
This is what I'd like to know. Where does Amazon keep your books before they're pulled to a Kindle? How do I get to them with a PC? And do I have to worry about DRM?
Old 06-28-2023, 04:25 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
They would be in the owner of the tablet's Amazon account under Content and Devices. Downloading that many files is going to be a total pain in the posterior.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, crash, kindle, linux, memory